ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Painting new wishbones/tie rods

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Renault have done a good job of chipping a lot of the paint off my new wishbones, before I fit them I was thinking of painting them and the inner tie rods. Would simple rattle can gloss black be sufficient or is there something better to use, not wanting the expense or delay of powdercoat especially as they have the bushes in.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
That's poor.. I would probably rattle can and then XCP on top. Or Bilthamber Dynax UB or UC.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
That's poor.. I would probably rattle can and then XCP on top. Or Bilthamber Dynax UB or UC.
I've got dynax UB in the garage, just wondered if it would be a bit tacky...in a sticky way!

Why can't Renault (or their suppliers) paint ball joints? Just raw cast, always thought it wouldnt take much for they to get some protection on them, I know they are essentially a consumable part but they arent exactly cheap.

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
I used the "no nonsense" matt black stuff, can buy it from toolstation, the finish is pretty close to the factory finish on my shocks I found.
Had the same issue as yourself though, a few chips from shipping.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I used the "no nonsense" matt black stuff, can buy it from toolstation, the finish is pretty close to the factory finish on my shocks I found.
Had the same issue as yourself though, a few chips from shipping.
Yeah for the price of them youd expect some better protective packaging. I can't decide whether to spray the ball joints or just dynax them

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
I sprayed mine personally, but dynax might be the better option in fairness!