ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Parking Tickets help needed!

Ive been issued a parking ticket for parking in a restricted street during prescribed hours. A while ago i spoke to warden who was ticketing someone elses vehicle and asked him how long they actually had to see the vehicle illegally parked before they were allowed to ticket it, to which he informed me it was 5mins iirc. considering i was only in the shop for a couple of minutes im going to contest this but first i wondered if anyone could clarify this 5min rule for me one way or the other?

i dont want to be wasting my time and having to pay the extra £40 if im wrong!

regards

Nissan Jewk

A friend of mine got rushed to hospital, i got the hospital, parked my motorbike up and had to pop into a shop to get change for the metre, was literally a minute... come out and got a ticket. It stated on the ticket:

Time of arrival: 12.40pm - Ticket issued: 12.40pm

B*stards! lol

I appealed, saying that im not Barclays Bank, and that I had no change, went to go into a shop to get change, they replied back saying a minute is more than enough time, and that if I have no change, I shouldnt have stopped!

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

I got done in one and that was 6mins after I parked. The 5min rule sounds like BS. The sign clearly states that parking only permitted with a residents parking sign thing, so in theory they could do it as soon as you park ed.

What bollox. I am sorry to hear about the ticket. The permit holders parking signs up around here clearly state max wait 5 mins. So theres no way they could ticket you within the minute. I guess if it doesnt state that, then they can get you.

I have actually seen a warden wait 5 mins, so there is lee-way, but again I guess only if it the sign states 5 minutes.

don't

id complain m8, as u were told by a member of staff that u were allowed 2 wait for 5 mins, if u can try 2 get the name of the person or ask another warden and get there name, then say u have done as u were told, didnt stay over 5 mins

cheers guys, i think ill go to the council to see if that rule is in existence and if it is does it apply to that stretch of road. if it does ill appeal

regards

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member

Like has been said, if it says no parking at any time, then I would imagine there is no minium time.

Did you not see the warden, Why didnt you ask him/her?

I hate traffic wardens, one watched me spend 5 minutes tring to get in a stupid little space, when I got out, he said that if I didnt move it I would get a ticket.

round my area they usually leg it otherwise they bashed up! theyve started going around in 3s or 4s on mopeds like a little biker gang! so no i didnt see him

172 Exclusive

I think the best thing to do i know its annoying is to just pay it staright away so it only costs ya £30. Fighting it is alot of hassle to save yourself £30

maybe rob, but if im right about the time they have to see the vehicle illegally parked then im not breaking the law at all, let alone for a few minutes. and if im wrong then i cant argue and have no problem paying the fine, so i dont know who your quoting but it aint me

regards

Quote: Originally posted by mikec172 on 12 July 2004

I appealed, saying that im not Barclays Bank, and that I had no change, went to go into a shop to get change, they replied back saying a minute is more than enough time, and that if I have no change, I shouldnt have stopped!
I narrowly escaped getting a ticket for exactly this reason. Id actually been parked without a ticket for about 30 mins, when I was walking back to the car I saw the warden tapping details into his handheld digital thing and told him Id just been to get change. He said that Id been gone for more than 3 minutes and that if you are going to park then you should have the money available to pay for your ticket before leaving your car.

Take a look at http://www.parkingticket.co.ukwww.parkingticket.co.uk

Taken from the FAQ section

What happens if one arrives at a parking meter without change? Is time allowed to get some?

No! The regulations require that you put the money into the parking meter immediately after leaving your car.

Arent traffic wardens supposed to give a few minutes grace before issuing a ticket?

Contrary to popular misconception, you are not - and never have been - permitted to stop for a few minutes other than to set down or pick up passengers or load and unload goods (in the absence of any loading restrictions). A traffic warden or parking attendant may observe a vehicle for a few minutes to see if any such activity is going on before issuing a parking ticket, but there is an increasing trend to issue the ticket as soon as an illegally parked vehicle is seen. If you have been loading or unloading it is incumbent on the driver to produce evidence to that effect. (See Loading & Unloading.) There is no grace period.

[Edited by EightBall on 12 July 2004 at 11:39pm]

[Edited by EightBall on 12 July 2004 at 11:41pm]

i recently did some consultancy work for central parking office and a few local ones, most local authorities are decriminalizing parking as its too much of a burden on the police (apparently) so they are rolling this out to most authorities. i can categorically say that parking attendants ARE NOT working on a commision basis, apart from the fact it is totally unethical, imagine the uproar in the motoring press. each area has a carefully calculated average number of tickets per attendant which are carefully monitored but they do not receive commission.. the money they raise is usually to fund other parking work like park and ride schemes etc, if the local authority announce new plans for public parking schemes, dont be surprised if they really start clamping down on parking.. from what i know, if they give you a parking ticket they will be pretty sure it will stick, all the inspectors are totally up with the law..

Only thing i can say is that they have to have a contest procedure where you can state your case, simply put everything in writing and send it to your local parking office... they are human sometimes ...

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member

There are deffinately some schemes that are operating on commission.

The ones that are ran by NCP are deffinately on commission.

Thats why there are tails of people being ticketed after falling off their bikes and when collecting dead bodies. I know for certain that the crashed motor bike story is true because it was on Tonight with Trevor Mcdonut.

aah yes, thats private parking attendants b******s the lot of em, i thought the original post was about civil parking offences. moral of that story is dont park anywhere near private land... law unto themselves