ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PAS knocking and Loud tapping

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
Was convinced my dephaser was on its way out - diesel sounds at idle from engine bay and quite as I run quicker. Recently noise has got a lot worse and on starting knocks inconsistently not like a bearing whine or grind?

Went around the engine long screwdriver to ear and cam area is quite and smooth. The PAS source and sounds rough and knocks (but not to any beat - more freeform than boogie?

Engine running the PAS noise stops when the steering is on full lock when its working hard? Need to go to Devon Sunday?

and my steering rack leaks a 120k mile Renault needs a lot of love...

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
So it seems that the red ATF I had was too thin and falling out of the steering rack. So I put in some 5W40 semi synthetic oil and noise gone leaks reduced steering works fine.

Need a new rack as leak is still there but manageable but should I have used a red ATF -is my issue viscosity?