ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PAS problem after flushing

markhump

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
In need of some help please. Car is 2004 Clio 182 (track only) with pas pump and lines as standard.

Today I’ve flushed the power steering fluid (1.5l) and replaced with good quality redline fluid. I followed to the letter the guide on here and was very careful to keep the reservoir topped up and not to let the pump run dry. All went well until I’ve come to move the car and feel like I have no power steering at all.

I assume maybe an air lock, so have tried lock to lock with the cap off, but it’s SO heavy and difficult to move! No obvious leaks previously or now..any ideas??

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Can't really help, but i've recently done the same with the Red Line fluid and it's been fine.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Wheels on the ground or up in the air? Had to do mine with wheels on the ground as ran out of time...maybe that’s the problem?

On the ground, but i had some metal plates under the wheels with grease in between them so it could be turned easily.

Maybe that's the difference.

Try bleeding it with the wheels up, so you can turn lock to lock quickly.

Mine was the simple case of topping up with fluid (from dry) then turning lock to lock a couple times, didnt have to put more fluid in or anything else.

As James said, do it in the air so its easier to turn and easier on the rack.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Mine was the simple case of topping up with fluid (from dry) then turning lock to lock a couple times, didnt have to put more fluid in or anything else.

As James said, do it in the air so its easier to turn and easier on the rack.
See that so often with people moving their cars. Huge 18/19" tyres being ground into the surface when completely static.

It must put a significant strain on the rack and/or PAS system as a whole.

markhump

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
See that so often with people moving their cars. Huge 18/19" tyres being ground into the surface when completely static.

It must put a significant strain on the rack and/or PAS system as a whole.

Running 15” wheels, but with sticky track tyres and relatively low pressures...hopefully nothing damaged when I get to look at it later today 🤞🏻

markhump

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Get both wheels off the ground and turn it slowly from lock to lock WITHOUT the engine running and the pas reservoir cap off.
I’m not saying it’ll work, but majority of times I’ve done it has worked and got rid of any air locks.

Thanks. Tried this and unfortunately no better. Took is for a very short drive and it’s just so heavy.
When I moved the car and took off the undertray and there’s only a small bit of PAS fluid on the driveway. I’ve had a good look at the pipes and can’t see any obvious leaks, except a bit wet near the inner wheel arch passenger side (assuming I spilt some fluid there when topping up).

I guess if there’s no air lock and no obvious leaks, then does that point to the pump being knackered??

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
When my pump blew a seal out the side on track, the steering was really heavy, almost impossible to turn.

markhump

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
New pump time.

It was obvious it was leaking, fluid everywhere!

Thanks again for the reply mate. The weird thing is, mine doesn’t seem to be leaking fluid everywhere.

Either way, sounds like the pump needs replacing. I’ll have a look for the guides on here and can hopefully do it at home on the driveway

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Thanks again for the reply mate. The weird thing is, mine doesn’t seem to be leaking fluid everywhere.

Either way, sounds like the pump needs replacing. I’ll have a look for the guides on here and can hopefully do it at home on the driveway

Maybe they can leak internally, so won't be providing enough pressure?