ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

pay as u go insurance

Oyster Card
Any idea how much it works out per mile?
surely they can track if you go over the speed limit too with the box, good idea but get the feeling of big brother.

AcID ZeR0 said:
Any idea how much it works out per mile?
surely they can track if you go over the speed limit too with the box, good idea but get the feeling of big brother.

I dont think they could do f**k all with it mate, data protection act and all that:)

Seat Leon FR
tried gettin a quote but i was having problems loading teh page up. can put my details in then when i submit i get nothing!!!

Seat Leon FR
also couldnt something like this be rigged??? ie leave the box at home while you go for a drive? although if you had a crash, in theory, the insurance co would know where you are and would probably void your insurance i guess

Golf GTI 1.8T
I put in that on average I'd do 800 miles a month daytime(6am - 11pm) and 200 miles evening(11pm - 6am) so 1000 miles and it come back saying I wouldn't be suitable. Then I went back at took away night time miles so just a plain 1000 daytime and it said please apply for the box thingy, so I'm more of a risk driving a few miles in the dark on empty roads than I am in the daytime with people, cars and everything else on the roads?? A load of cobblers, it wont work!!

172 M69 eater
they actually did a hell of a lot of research on it... i know cus i work for their sister company...

still dont see it working, if you cant drive 200miles a month in the evening, people wont go for it especially as its aimed at young drivers.

Exactly.

It's sold as a 'money saving' scheme, which will of course only work for sad, no-brained nerds who stay at home with mummy on a friday night until they are 30, and old people who do bugger all mileage anyway, or only do it during the day or on sunday afternoon at 37mph...

It is a blatant way of getting satellite tracking trialled for 'free' by gullible members of the public who think that nooooo, the companies would never lie to us and noooooo, this government would never do everything in its power to get every single person monitored on every single journey to tax them for 'speeding' at 32 in a 30 at 3.30am... :rolleyes:

Golf GTI 1.8T
It's stupidly set-up and it's not even up and running yet. I don't use my car in the week at all between the hours of 10:30pm and 6pm the next day so surely I am at lowest risk of an accident involving 3rd partys. It doesn't ask enough specific questions on you average driving to give a quote imo, it should be split between each day, because on a tuesday I use my car all day for college, but the other 4 days I don't. Arrh its on my nerves!

Golf GTI 1.8T
White16valver said:
No, it's like a pound a mile during "evening" time.

f**king bargain... :rolleyes:

hahahahaha!!

So, when is it "cheap" then?

Insurance is never cheap, this is just a way to gentley rapeing our bank accounts!

Also I wonder what their rate is before you actually do any miles??

172 M69 eater
id encourage u to get a quote... my mate has jus joined it and its damn cheap for him....

u cant really judge somethin till uve tried it! i admit it sounds mad!!

172 M69 eater
badinvincible said:
That is nuts.

So this is insurance tailored for pimps, *****s and drug dealers?

not really as its cheaper to drive at day time... more expensive at night..

Golf GTI 1.8T
Statistics show us that people aged 18-21 are more likely to have accidents between 11pm-6am- with a greater risk of serious injury or fatality. At the same time, fewer accidents happen during the day between the hours of 6am-11pm. Until now, no distinction has been made between these times and as a result, car insurance premiums have remained high for all young drivers between 18-21 years.

By using the latest GPS (Global Positioning Satellite) technology Norwich Union has developed a smart box that will fit discreetly into your car to record the number of miles you drive and when.

By recording how many miles you do and what time of day you drive, Norwich Union have developed an insurance premium based on you alone. You'll benefit from off-peak rates, with the cost of driving between 6am-11pm much cheaper than driving between 11pm-6am.

There will even be a monthly bill so you'll be able to control just how much you spend and you will also benefit from every month 100 off-peak miles being free.

:eek: OMG just seen this, OFF-PEAK!?!?! Our cars are going to be just like mobiles one day! We are going to be topping-up are cars credit by txt messages, ATM and internet soon, or maybe just the old scratchcard top-ups, or maybe E-top up cards.:eek:

No thank you!!

I still don't get why it's safer to driving in the daytime, and why can insurance companies assume that we break the speed limits, shouldn't they go along the lines of the law and expect us to be doing a max of the speed limit??

raceing blue 182
hope so 24 with 5 years ncb and still paying £750 for my 182 sport and barley use it had it since last dec and only done 6000 miles

Statistics show us that people aged 18-21 are more likely to have accidents between 11pm-6am- with a greater risk of serious injury or fatality. At the same time, fewer accidents happen during the day between the hours of 6am-11pm. Until now, no distinction has been made between these times and as a result, car insurance premiums have remained high for all young drivers between 18-21 years.

By using the latest GPS (Global Positioning Satellite) technology Norwich Union has developed a smart box that will fit discreetly into your car to record the number of miles you drive and when.

By recording how many miles you do and what time of day you drive, Norwich Union have developed an insurance premium based on you alone. You'll benefit from off-peak rates, with the cost of driving between 6am-11pm much cheaper than driving between 11pm-6am.

There will even be a monthly bill so you'll be able to control just how much you spend and you will also benefit from every month 100 off-peak miles being free.

So why, pray tell, does it need to be a GPS box if they're just recording when and how many miles?

Why not just a clock and something that reads your mileage off your speedo cable?

Could it be that there's something a whole lot more sinister going on?

Nooooooooooooooooo.... :rolleyes:

MR2 2.0 N/A & Mk1 1.2Clio
if you had this and claimed....

say you were over the spped limit slightly, wouldnt this info be obtained by insurance co and then they turn round and give you 2 fingers and say its invalid as 0.1mph over speed limit, cost cutting measure for them me thinks.

One with a few more
Iirc correctly my boufriend was involvd in the production of the payasyougo box for this at IBM

jonesyzx said:
if you had this and claimed....

say you were over the spped limit slightly, wouldnt this info be obtained by insurance co and then they turn round and give you 2 fingers and say its invalid as 0.1mph over speed limit, cost cutting measure for them me thinks.
Exactly. Hence this idea should be rejected now. Even if they say that they won't use it for that, you and I both now they will... :rolleyes:

clairesclio said:
Iirc correctly my boufriend was involvd in the production of the payasyougo box for this at IBM
Really? Any chance of asking him what he looked at while doing this and what information they are collecting off it? ;)