ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PB and perhaps fastest lap of the Nurburgring in a Clio 2 RS on youtube - 8:38 BTG

172 ph1
Woke up early on Sunday, noticed it was great driving weather so I headed over to the 'Ring. Sat with 2 awesome drivers and managed to improve a bit myself.

Those 2 drivers were xthilox and yotah1 (their youtube usernames). xthilox has done 8:18 in a Clio 200 Cup and close to 8:00 in his Megane 250 Cup. yotah1 has done 8:40 in his Twingo 133 on R888 tires. Was amazing to sit with both of them.

Some interesting observations on my lap:
- Not upshifting to 5 gear before the first chicane seems to be wrong.
- Encountering a slower car at Flugplatz costs you 40km/h and 3s.
- Screwed up Bergwerk terribly

Possible to go faster? Definitely. But I won't be attempting to any more without a roll cage. Also why I'm staying away from semi slicks.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio 172 PhII
Re: PB and perhaps fastest lap of the Nurburgring in a Clio 2 RS on youtube - 8:38 BT

Very smooth, I wish the traffic was like that when I visited in August ;)

172 ph1
Re: PB and perhaps fastest lap of the Nurburgring in a Clio 2 RS on youtube - 8:38 BT

Very smooth, I wish the traffic was like that when I visited in August ;)
Yeah in November there are a lot less cars, so if there happens to be good weather it's worth going.

Ph2 172 MB 77/468

you should put this on bridge to gantry

172 ph1

Oh this is actually Yotah1's lap with me as passenger. Could have sworn he was cornering faster on the R888s, but looking at the videos side by side the difference isn't all that big

[video=youtube;-tnj5JoPkjk]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tnj5JoPkjk[/video]

First up what a fantastically clear empty day. I don't think I've ever seen it so empty.

Secondly, bar the occasional mishap that you have highlighted, that is also one of the cleanest laps I have ever watched so hats off to you!! I am no expert by any means but you look like you know the track very well and that was incredibly tidy driving from where I'm sitting!!

172 ph1

First up what a fantastically clear empty day. I don't think I've ever seen it so empty.

Secondly, bar the occasional mishap that you have highlighted, that is also one of the cleanest laps I have ever watched so hats off to you!! I am no expert by any means but you look like you know the track very well and that was incredibly tidy driving from where I'm sitting!!
Yeah in November there are a lot less cars there. So if the weather's good then it's definitely worth going.

I've now done something like 350 laps, about 300 of those in the Clio :)

That Frenchman's only done 100 but he was definitely going well too! I think after 100 or so laps you gain mostly in consistency and safety rather than speed. At least that was the case for myself. With that said I think I've picked up around 15s in the last 2 years, or roughly 170 laps. But more than the improved speed I notice the fact that I can now drive a lot safer and predict potential offs much earlier.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep

Great driving :)

You can tell by how smooth you are that you've done a lot of laps, probably why you're being a bit harsh on yourself with the bits you've highlighted.

Hopefully I'll get to go to the Ring one day.

172 ph1

Great driving :)

You can tell by how smooth you are that you've done a lot of laps, probably why you're being a bit harsh on yourself with the bits you've highlighted.

Hopefully I'll get to go to the Ring one day.
Thanks :) Lemme know if you come, I'll try and drive over if I'm free. :)
Some pedalling!

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep

If I don't end up putting it off again that would be good :)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Certainly impressive.

However, I should point out that for safety sake that others on here don't attempt the same. This guy knows the ring well. If you do go, remember its not a competition.

172 phII

Nice driving there - bravo!

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes

WOW. Thanks for sharing

172 ph1

Certainly impressive.

However, I should point out that for safety sake that others on here don't attempt the same. This guy knows the ring well. If you do go, remember its not a competition.
Yeah, I must clarify that I've been going to the 'Ring for the past 5 years, have done around 350 laps, and had instruction many times. Even so it's rare that I drive with so little margin for error left. The track is just too dangerous. This time I knew I was about to change cars this winter, and as the track was so empty I gave it a go.

Mental 172 Cup

some driving that..

Can you tell me what lap timer you use? is it compatible with the iphone?

172 cup RS2 - 330ci

awesome driving

340i

Impressive driving! :)

172 ph1

some driving that..

Can you tell me what lap timer you use? is it compatible with the iphone?
I used Racechrono which works on phones such as Nokias, along with a 10Hz GPS from Qstarz. For the iPhone, Harry's Laptimer would be best, in combination with Tomtom carkit or a 10Hz bluetooth GPS if it's been jailbroken.

172 ph1
  BMW E36 328

great videos. Wish it was that quiet when i went over

Fiesta ST200

Fantastic driving mate. Insanely smooth.

Would love to have a go around the ring. Not to chase times of course, just for the experience!

172 ph1

Fantastic driving mate. Insanely smooth.

Would love to have a go around the ring. Not to chase times of course, just for the experience!
Yeah it takes a long time to learn it. I've had 2 crashes on the way to where I am now, it definitely can go wrong.

Tested a E46 330d today, didn't like it :/

Gman

ClioSport Club Member
  Mt10 Zx6r golf tdi

Very impressive lap, watching all these videos really makes me want to get out there, this year i've not done a single lap in the Clio although i have done a few in a cooper s.

This was a video i took one weekend in early september last year, I think it's got to be the quietest lap i've actually ever driven and ever seen for a tf day!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkiFIt93Wkw

Clio 182 full fat