ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC gaming.. total noob question..

Clio 172 Cup
GF's Just got her 1st 'games for windows' game - Prototype for the PC but it's really slow and jerky..

Can anyone advise how to set up the PC best for gaming or if we need better hardware?

Graphics card is a NVIDIA Geforce 6150LE an processor is AMD Athlon 64 5500+

Cheers

Clio 172 Cup
Brilliant - it recommends we but a new £1500 PC!

Oh well.. guess the game's going back tomorrow!

Cheers for the reply Iain

Unlucky. PC gaming isn't cheap. Unless you're willing to spend thousands upon thousands of pounds on hardware (and it is worth it if you can spare it) then you're better off with consoles. Far better value for money :)

Obviously never tried playing Crysis on max at 1920x1200 with AA :D

PMSL at PC gaming being more cost effective. I own a pretty seriously expensive PC, and a couple of consoles. PC is not more cost effective. Not on your nelly. Better, yes. Better value for money, no f**king way!

Titanium 182
Crysis is a daft game to base rig comparisons on.

Mine cost me about about £1200 in parts and will run most stuff really well.

Crysis is a daft game to base rig comparisons on.

Well, it's one of the reasons to choose PC over console, so not really. You're right though, it is an extreme example. The fact remains that both the PS3 and x360 can offer 80% of the thrills for 20% of the bills. They suck for FPS though due to having s**t controls.

Titanium 182
Well, it's one of the reasons to choose PC over console, so not really. You're right though, it is an extreme example. The fact remains that both the PS3 and x360 can offer 80% of the thrills for 20% of the bills. They suck for FPS though due to having s**t controls.

THIS!

I see where you're coming from but its an anomaly, I can't run it on full but I can run most other games on full. (Well I could before it started getting a bit old)

I should upgrade but haven't played for a while so can't see a point. :dapprove:

I can just about run it at max in 1920x1200 with AA and vysnc. 'Just about' to me is 40+, and that's a PC with an £800 CPU and a £500 graphics card. Fussy to the extreme, but that's PC gaming for you, and only enforces the point that console gaming is better value :)

Of course, every other game runs at a trillion frames per second even with maximum AA&AF at high res, to a standard that no console could attain.

BMW 330ci Clubsport
Obviously never tried playing Crysis on max at 1920x1200 with AA :D

PMSL at PC gaming being more cost effective. I own a pretty seriously expensive PC, and a couple of consoles. PC is not more cost effective. Not on your nelly. Better, yes. Better value for money, no f**king way!
Of course its better alue for money are you mad!? A decent PC these days costs less than £400. And I mean a PC that will play CoD4 maxxed out (Not some rediculous £1000+ PC which the only reason you'd ever need one that expensive is to play Crysis)

So what if you need to upgrade every couple of years? Every couple of years you need to buy a new console..

Also, £40-£50 for a new game makes a huge difference to £25-£35

Titanium 182
It depends on whether you're happy to run guild wars* on medium and class your machine as a "gaming pc" or whether you actually want to run brand new games on full settings.

The later, isn't cost effective compared to a console. - But it is better !

* I hate Guild Wars.

I've been playing consoles for decades. I've been building power PCs for decades. Consoles are better value for money.

Not a Clio
To seriously game on a pc you have to be a bit of a geek really and be into your hardware. Consoles are boring! I dread to think what I've spent on pc components over the years but building / upgrading / fiddling is something I enjoy. That doesn't mean you have to buy the most expensive, latest thing on the market though.

Don't get me wrong. I far prefer PC gaming, and spend countless thousands on them. I'm simply saying that consoles offer much better value for money. VFM isn't my main criteria, but for some people, such as the OP, it obviously is! Try buiding a gaming PC that could run Forza 3 at 60fps. I promise you, you could not build one for the price of an xbox.

BMW 330ci Clubsport
It depends on whether you're happy to run guild wars* on medium and class your machine as a "gaming pc" or whether you actually want to run brand new games on full settings.

The later, isn't cost effective compared to a console. - But it is better

* I hate Guild Wars.
Who plays Guild Wars? :/
I was mainly talking about Prototype. I play TF2, L4D and Prototype maxxed out, with Firefox (At least 6 tabs running) in the background, on Vista 64bit. With only 2.13 dualcore, nvidia 9600GT and 4gb 1033 ram.
I already know I need to upgrade (I get about 30fps), my processor is seriously lacking. But the cost of those bits now-a-days is about £300. Which shows you dont need a over the top PC

And there is a difference between a gaming pc, an overclocker pc and a extreme gaming pc

Titanium 182
It was an example, no one plays that game. It is utterly terrible.

Bottom line is if it doesn't run it and you don't want to pay to upgrade take it back and get it for a console.

Simples.

Also its not a gaming pc, OC'd PC, and a "super gaming PC".

It's just pc's that are good for gaming and some that are average at best.

Who plays Guild Wars? :/
I was mainly talking about Prototype. I play TF2, L4D and Prototype maxxed out, with Firefox (At least 6 tabs running) in the background, on Vista 64bit. With only 2.13 dualcore, nvidia 9600GT and 4gb 1033 ram.
I already know I need to upgrade (I get about 30fps), my processor is seriously lacking. But the cost of those bits now-a-days is about £300. Which shows you dont need a over the top PC

And there is a difference between a gaming pc, an overclocker pc and a extreme gaming pc

Valid. But, if you're not going to run insane settings, resolution, AA, AF, vsync, and always want more frames, then is it not better to just play a console? Perhaps not, with the cost of games taken into account. Hmmm ok fair points.

I guess it all depends how fussy you are.

BMW 330ci Clubsport
I also cant stand playing FPS with a console controller lol

But I play games like Prototype with a Xbox controller

You can buy a half decent gaming pc for £200 easily xD
All second hand ofcourse.

Re-use some components like HDD's etc.

E6600, Gigabyte DS3/4, 7900GT etc. Would run most games sweet for your average person.

Better than yours. C*nt.
You can buy a half decent gaming pc for £200 easily xD
All second hand ofcourse.

Re-use some components like HDD's etc.

E6600, Gigabyte DS3/4, 7900GT etc. Would run most games sweet for your average person.

Lollerskates!

That wouldn't run much in any quality approaching anything remotely aesthetically pleasing nowadays. You need to start at 8800 as a minimum and go from there.

Console gaming is better for the masses because if you pick up a game for your xbox, it'll work. Pc games aren't so simple.

A red missile
Hmmm gaming rigs for £200 - £400 - Minesweeper anyone?

show me a pc for £400 that can do this vvv and i'll buy 2 - one for the lounge and one for the bog
ScreenShot00000.gif

ScreenShot00007.gif

ScreenShot00010.gif

ScreenShot00015.gif

ScreenShot00064.gif

All from the same game, and getting between 50-90fps

This is a PC game. Granted it's out of place in the £400 PC argument but, these caps are so good they need to be wh0red out. Console owners. Know your place ;)

182, turbo rx8, 911
£800 CPU

Just out of interest - what CPU you running?

I'm running i7-965.

Just to add my 2p worth. PC gaming is in no way better value whatsoever.

You would not be able to decently spec a pc that would be able to run new games decently as in more than 60fps for £200!!

It's all on relative to what you want from your gaming experience anyway

But to your average household gamer, it would be fine.

To the likes of me and you who like a bit of AA, it is pants i know - never said it wasn't :)

Not a Clio
I disagree about AMD not being for gaming. There's a few threads on this over at OCUK. Gaming wise there's little different between i7 and Phenom II. I game with a Phenom II X3 @ 3.4GHz with no issue.

I just meant that Intel are currently better for gaming. AFAIK this is fact, unless something has changed recently. Only a few frames in it here or there perhaps, but frames are life. I'm not sure about prices though, so as always it's personal choice against budget.

Not a Clio
As you say personal choice and budget come into it. For the sake of a few extra frames the budget difference is a fair amount though.