ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pc Memory Gone Need Replacement

FOCUS ST 275
My Dad has an old Dell Dimension 5150, wont boot up and has some of the numbers light up on the front.

Google says its the Memory, currently has 2 x Samsung 512Mb RAM PC2-4200U-444-12-D3

Tried searching for a replacement but seems to be not in production anymore.

Can i whack any other 512Mb sticks into it or are there specific ones i should get??

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Rule number one. Check the RAM is acutally seated in the slots correctly, also hover any dust out of the case. (make sure the PC is off, and unplugged)

Does the PC beep when you try to boot it up? If so what combination of beeps IE two long 1 short beep.

Does it say what type of RAM it is, IE DDR/DDR2? etc

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
If it's the Dimension 5150, PC World Business still do the 1GB sticks....

http://www.pcwb.co.uk/catalogue/item/KINME175 - for the 533mhz spec

and for the 400mhz spec...

http://www.pcwb.co.uk/catalogue/item/KINME818

Although slightly more expensive, the slower spec memory will be much more 'compatible'. That said, if you know the motherboard is happy to support the 533mhz memory, then go for the faster memory.

edit - doh! just noticed PC2-4200 in that part code you mentioned - that's 533mhz speed. ;) The first code will do you fine then.

D.

FOCUS ST 275
It does beep + some number lights come up.

I have searched it on tinternet and its defo the Memory thats gone.

Will replace with 2 1Gb sticks.

Im guessing you just plug them in and hey presto they just work??

Evo 5 RS
word of caution there is a lot of memory which is incompatible with DELL motherboards

a by product of them letting it go to the lowest bidder. stick to either Samsung or Crucial (Some Kingston modules work)

FOCUS ST 275
Replaced the MEM with the Kingston ones in your link Darren S and its back up and running.

Thanks for the help.

Eryl.