ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

[PC/PS3/XB360] Battlefield 3 Official Thread

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
They will never make a game as good as Battlefield 2 ever again imo.

I can't stand the frostbite engine so I doubt I will like BF3.

It was a bad move removing jets from the series just becuase they were "surprised at how good people were at using them". That may be the case but it certainly took a lot of skill.

The thing is, DICE got bought out by EA, that's when they're games went downhill for me. They were forced to focus on developing the Battlefield series on consoles = end of Battlefield as we know it.

I do agree though, those two vids posted above makes me feel really nostalgic.

A sad truth. That's probably why BF2142 is so special to me, even now. The last true PC-only Battlefield game. :(

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'm pretty sure BF3 is going to be coded for PC.

Probably. But they will have to provide for the hardware limitations and gamepad inputs of the consoles too. Back in the days of BF2142, they never had to consider that.

That said, I'm far from saying that console owners should be deprived of the next Battlefield installment. What I do have a slight gripe with is where additions and potential features of a game will be 'cut out' due to the game having to cater for all platforms at once.

D.

RS250 Megane
Really looking forward to this.
Smashing BC2 with the boys at the minute and got me itching for more.

Sadly I haven't got a PC to play BF3 on.
So I'll have to be a console fanboy.

Fav proper PC FPS is Operation Flashpoint.
Wow the memories.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
i've got a new pc now, and i havnt played any online PC gaming on it so far, i've got a decnt set up to me any way on GFX and menory and that how do i start up and do online so i can play this?

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Ahh I can't reply to the PM for some reason or even open it, but I didn't realise it was PC only :dapprove:

Bah. Cheers anyway, mate.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Remember when i could fly like this!

Conneh you legend! :star: Used to love heli whoring-kubra was a quality map for heli solo :evil:

Just checked, still ranked 1659 global for heli :p

http://bf2s.com/player/44158843/

BF2 was awesome-the BC series just don't interest me. Thought the latest one on the xbox was f**king dire, played it for about 15mins and its sat in the box since. Really hope bf3 will be something special-if its similar to bf2 that shouldn't be difficult :approve:

Last edited by a moderator:
Really going to have to build a new system for this.

My mobo is on it's way - been throwing up some nice BSODs tonight and it appears to be hardware related.

A nice i5 5ghz system would be nice mmm.

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
Conneh you legend! :star: Used to love heli whoring-kubra was a quality map for heli solo :evil:

Just checked, still ranked 1659 global for heli :p

http://bf2s.com/player/44158843/

BF2 was awesome-the BC series just don't interest me. Thought the latest one on the xbox was f**king dire, played it for about 15mins and its sat in the box since. Really hope bf3 will be something special-if its similar to bf2 that shouldn't be difficult :approve:

15 minutes is nowhere near enough time to gage wether or not you like BC2.

I am dissapoint, especially from someone who played the BF games.

15 mins online on PS3, it's just not the right game for consols. And i completed the single player on PC - just didn't havnt the same charm as BF2.

More good news for PC gamers with an eye on the next chapter in the Battlefield franchise. Details from a Game Informer cover story have leaked, and they look pretty enticing. The most promising revelation is that Battlefield 3 was built on the PC and for the PC. According to executive producer Patrick Bach, "we're focusing on PC first, and then we fiddle with it to fit it onto consoles."

Rock, Paper, Shotgun points to this forum post, which lists a number of additional details from the Game Informer piece. Character animations should be much improved thanks to the same animation system used by EA Sports titles. Destructible environments look to be a big part of the game, and there's an earthquake on one of the levels. DICE has also spent some time on the game's audio component to provide better audible cues and more realistic sound overall.

Unfortunately, the new Frostbite 2.0 engine is reportedly too complex for DICE to release traditional mod tools. The Battlefield 3 team is reportedly close to twice the size of group that worked on Bad Company 2, and DICE is grappling with whether to invest its time in mod tools or polishing the game's existing content. With single- and multi-player components plus a co-op element, there should be plenty to keep gamers busy until the first round of downloadable content hits.

Awesome, man up console whores and get a nice PC to enjoy it properly on :)

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20383

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Indeed, let the console boys enjoy 0x AA! :D

Like I said before, console owners should have the opportunity to play Battlefield just as well as the PC owners do. But I'll get pissed if it gets out that features in the game are dropped to cater solely for the consoles.

It's like having a RS Clio and then being told you can't have the benefit of clever handling and a rev-happy 2.0litre, because it has to keep on par with the 1.2 16v versions. ;)

D.

Battlefield 3 is the true successor to Battlefield 2. Beyond our signature multiplayer, we have also included a full single-player campaign and a co-op campaign – all straight out of the box. As for fan favorite features, how does the return of jets, prone, and 64-player multiplayer (on PC) sound?

Unsure if that means BF3 for the PS3 will not get planes/prone etc.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Could spend a lot lot less than £1500.

PC will have 64 player maps, which i don't think consols will be getting.

I never really had the broadband speed to cope with 64-player maps of BF2142. But on the very rare occassion I did, those maps and games were simply sublime. Many a time it melted down to four 16-player sub-battles going on, with the commander overseeing everything and deploying resources as best he could. Trouncing into a capture point while piloting a walker - all guns blazing and helping your out-numbered team-mates is an experience that COD-boys will simply never experience.

D.

Or anyone playing a consol.

64 player games in BF2 were awesome. Mashtuur city capturing the flag - splitting off into squads. Commander was a good feature in BF2, air strikes/uav/directions etc - 32 people without a commander is useless!

I'm not sure if BF3 will have the commander option in it so i have heard!

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
In all honesty i'd rather not have 64 players, most would camp and you'd probably never meet half of them as Darren said it all splits into side battles.

Console > PC erryday i'm afraid, i played CS back in the day but controllers and consoles are just better, imo anyway. If someone offered me the top top top spec gaming PC or an Xbox with a 42" flat screen i'd take the xbox over it every time.

All about personal preference though.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
^ Same.

Much prefer controller over mouse and keyboard, too. Consoles are primarily gaming machines, so they can't really go wrong. It's only when you compare the games with their PC counterparts you realise that graphically and perhaps mod and patch wise they lose out. However, if you ignore those perks and the fact the PC exists, you will still be a very happy console gamer, and will have saved a lot of money that it would take to build a rig capable of playing the best games.

Like you say though, it is all about personal preference. I too would take a console and large tv over sitting at a desk with a mouse and keyboard by my side.

64 players on BF2 was awesome.
Remember playing Karkand alll the time. The US rushing down the hill into the city, absolute chaos. Except the US always lost coz the first flag was impossible to capture!
BF2 definitely my favourite game ever.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
In all honesty i'd rather not have 64 players, most would camp and you'd probably never meet half of them as Darren said it all splits into side battles.

Console > PC erryday i'm afraid, i played CS back in the day but controllers and consoles are just better, imo anyway. If someone offered me the top top top spec gaming PC or an Xbox with a 42" flat screen i'd take the xbox over it every time.

All about personal preference though.

That's what made it brilliant for me. The fact that on these very large maps, many battles were going on - not just your group of four versus another four or so. It gave you a much better 'scale' of online battles imo. The only issue for me was that the server admins often used to leave the ticket count at its default of like 200 or something. With 64-players at it - the game would be done and dusted in 5mins flat! :) The sheer scale of some BF2142 maps in particular made true tactical options a possibility. Like the epic conquest 64 player map on Shuiha Taiba (http://www.2142-stats.com/BF2142+Info/Maps.html) - which gave you the genuine opportunity and space to carry out flanking moves.

The number of players to me is purely limited by the map in question. Even some maps within BC2 are stiffled with 32 players onboard, imo. The map itself containing choke points that are nigh-on impossible to break with a defending team of 16 players and half a brain between them. The ramp down to the American base with the Apache on Port Valdez being a classic.

D.

64 player maps work, very well too. You don't want 32 vs 32 people - people split off into small squads and attack certain flags. The maps on BF2 were much bigger than the ones on BC2.

I would rather take a nice pc and a 24" monitor over a 42" plasma and consol. The difference is much better.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Would certainly like to see this in operation, but then I don't want to fall into the trap of "wanting" something I really don't want to pay over the odds for, which I think would happen :clown:

The more people the better for bigger maps, certainly.