ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

People selling clio's that are ''Finished''.

I started modifying my car, and circumstances changed, thankfully before I invested too much.

I modify because I enjoy the process of doing it, or at least thats why I did, and to make my car different to the norm. Now though, what I actually enjoy is working on the car, which is why I have kept the E34. I'll gradually restore it, and once I start using it regularly, I'll modify it to improve it in the areas I find to be weak, and that will be completely personal, as imo every drive is different. TBH though, it will probably never get that far before it gets replaced with something else more suited to my needs.

182cup & 172 racecar
^^This is also true. I'm a firm believer in once an engine comes apart, it will never go back together properly. You've only got to look in the projects section to see that all the people that have stripped the engine down to nothing but rubble tend to be the people that have more problems than others.

The day my engine has to come apart is the day it gets set on fire! lol.
This is why we run a standard engine in the race car,less to go wrong and if it does bin and put another one in.Was telling people this at WSR at weekend and they were shocked.Got enough to do without fiddling with valves,pistons etc.

172 Cup, Ibiza Cupra
Totally agree, it's not like a house which does usually go up in value once you spend £0000's on it. Fair enough there are certain mods you can do that you know you can pretty much not lose money on if you buy them 2nd hand. People on here will alway buy Speedlines, coilovers etc at the going rate, but dropping thousands on engine mods for not a whole lot of gain and then selling is just plain stupid.

If you wanted a small car with a turbo/supercharger to modify, buy one thats already had the work done or comes charged as standard. What satisfaction can people possibly get from spending money and then losing so much when they come to sell it a few months later. It's like walking in to a car showroom, buying a brand new car and then changing it 2 months later, you'd call someone mental for doing that.

RenaultSport 172
I'm sort of in the same boat, I want a Meggy 225 (Naith's fault) but everytime I drive my 172 at a trackday I fall in love with it all over again!

I have a daily also, so it's not a point of being un-comfortable, non-practical I just want a black 225 cause they are some damn lovely!

In an ideal world I'd take the Clio off the road sell my Rover 25 buy a pick up and a trailer and then buy a 225, but somehow even on my new wages I don't think I'd be able to afford to run them all!

Evo 5 RS
This is why we run a standard engine in the race car,less to go wrong and if it does bin and put another one in.Was telling people this at WSR at weekend and they were shocked.Got enough to do without fiddling with valves,pistons etc.

Yup, thankfully I saw sense before I had my build done. F4R engines are ten a penny it's great :D.

I could lie and say ITBs are a similar waste of time, but I won't...because I hate the standard setup that much now

Ive ran mine for 12months stripped with ITB's, and 99% of the time loved it, been the ring 3 times in it as well, so i dont think i fall into this category.

Also my engine started to burn oil, so i had no choice really, i want something abit more "grown up" :)

I think some people realise "What you cudda won" with spending that sort of money, i know i have.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Everyone (EVERYONE!! lol) mocks me for taking so long doing my mk1 but thats because I'm doing it properly. I don't want to buy cheap parts, realise their s**t then have to buy more expensive ones and sell the cheap ones for half what I paid!

So you're just selling the old top mounts after buying the mark fish ones for fun then?! ;) x

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Young people mostly.

Not many young peope interested in modding Sierra's or old M5's.

I'm guessing the oldies in this thred have done exactly what they are are now moaning about.

I've never felt the need to modify much. Saved me a lot of money obviously. Keep the car cleaned and maintained.

ITB'd MK1
Everyone (EVERYONE!! lol) mocks me for taking so long doing my mk1 but thats because I'm doing it properly. I don't want to buy cheap parts, realise their s**t then have to buy more expensive ones and sell the cheap ones for half what I paid!

I salute you for that. I've done exactly the same on my bigest projects. I never rush to get stuff done so i can show it off, I build my cars for me in my own time. My 205 has been apart for longer than i care to think now, but I've been collecting the best parts I can find over a long time as and when they come up, just the same as i did with my 200sx.

I'll never sell up, and I'll never be finished so the total spent doesn't really matter

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I salute you for that. I've done exactly the same on my bigest projects. I never rush to get stuff done so i can show it off, I build my cars for me in my own time. My 205 has been apart for longer than i care to think now, but I've been collecting the best parts I can find over a long time as and when they come up, just the same as i did with my 200sx.

I'll never sell up, and I'll never be finished so the total spent doesn't really matter

I think thats kind of what i'm getting at. My mk1 will never be 'finished' but thats because i'm in no rush. Its my little hobby and I don't ever intend on selling it.

But the people i'm talking about seem to rush like fcuk to build something then sell it asap! Just don't understand.

Doesn't help that most "tuners" are the most incapable, lacking in skills, rip off merchants in the motor trade. It's not limited to Renaults, right the way from the bottom to the top end the tuning industry is made up of fast talking con artists selling keen young lads with a pocket full of credit cards the automotive equivalent of magic beans.

Audi RS4 (B5)
...I want a Meggy 225 (Naith's fault) but everytime I drive my 172 at a trackday I fall in love with it all over again!

How do the 225's compare the Clio's on track though seriously. A half decent Clio (coilies, brakes, some weight loss) and Meggy with zorst, map, etc - presumably due to the extra ooomph of the Meggy would trounce a Clio ? No experience of these 2x cars so that's my 'guess'.

Re the OP - there's some enjoyment to be had in the 'project', to transform the good car into a better car. Should never be done for commercial reasons, i.e. you should realise you'll never get the investment back at sale time.

I've spent alot of money on my car and will get most of it back (purely due to the low price I've paid), but even if I didn't it has given me tremedous fun during the process and after.

Audi RS4 (B5)
Doesn't help that most "tuners" are the most incapable, lacking in skills, rip off merchants in the motor trade. It's not limited to Renaults, right the way from the bottom to the top end the tuning industry is made up of fast talking con artists selling keen young lads with a pocket full of credit cards the automotive equivalent of magic beans.

Can't agree with that at all. In my experience I've only ever dealt with top notch tuners that would gladly turn down the work if it wasn't in yours or the car's interest. Of course if you insist on the work and disregard their advice that's different...

I'm talking about Audi's by the way...

ITB'd MK1
I think thats kind of what i'm getting at. My mk1 will never be 'finished' but thats because i'm in no rush. Its my little hobby and I don't ever intend on selling it.

But the people i'm talking about seem to rush like fcuk to build something then sell it asap! Just don't understand.

everything i do of a greater magnitude than a service becomes a labour of love for me. I've been known to sit with a bare block and various cleaning/scraping tools and sit for literally hours to remove every last bit of crap. On the flip side, I can go a year without washing the paintwork on a car

Can't agree with that at all. In my experience I've only ever dealt with top notch tuners that would gladly turn down the work if it wasn't in yours or the car's interest. Of course if you insist on the work and disregard their advice that's different...

I'm talking about Audi's by the way...

I'm not getting into it on a Public forum but I've had first hand experience of one of the worst examples who used to deal with Audi and VW primarily.

I'd also wager that my professional experience extends further than your personal experience.

Audi RS4 (B5)
I'm not getting into it on a Public forum but I've had first hand experience of one of the worst examples who used to deal with Audi and VW primarily.

I'd also wager that my professional experience extends further than your personal experience.

Quite possibly, and how could I comment on that sort of statement?! I merely expressed my experience with tuners...

Do I know what you do for a living? No.
Do I care what you do for a living? No.

Renault Sport Clio 182
People who strip their cars, add buckets, cages, brakes, a tow-eye and 'track wheels' and the closest they go to a track is being at FCS should be strangled with their harnesses.

agreed, that pi$$es me off alot.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
tbh, i think its because its all easy peasy bolt of stuff most people on here do, they dont really get involved with the car, bond with it so to speak.

ive sold alot of mine when they are done because ive put wheels, exhaust and suspension on. tho ill never sell the golf well i dont plan to because i really feel thats MY car, not one i am keeping for a while. its mine n i think it will stay with me for a very long time

E87 118d M Sport
Ive never gone to the extent of spending money on track mods. However when things need replacing on the car (exhaust, brakes, tyres for example) I never scrip and save.
Unless you genuinely have NO money I cant understand why anyone would fit budget tyres or the cheapest brakes they could find.
As far as cages/stripping it out etc goes I think it probably starts as a hobby and a want to have a faster car...but then people either realise they want to upgrade (as their wage increases throughout their life) or downgrade (as they need to run a cheaper car).

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
buy a trophy, add an exhaust for a bit of noise (if thats your bag) sit back, enjoy the recaro's and put the cruise control on :)

182 FF
I was thinking this the other day I've had my clio for 3 years and been doin bits and peices as I go along inbetween trackdays and seeing what the difference they've made (if any). I have to laugh sometimes when I've seen clios completely stripped to nothing but with standard seats, wheels and ning nong budget tyres, and it obviously their first trackday! And if you spend £4000 on a turbo conversion but no diff you are simply stupid imo.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I have harnesses in my pug and every time I go to the shop for a pint of milk or something I feel like a nob.

182 FF
I have harnesses in my pug and every time I go to the shop for a pint of milk or something I feel like a nob.
Haha, know what you mean, putting tickets in multi storey barriers are always fun too, and one of my mates said I looked like I was wearing a pair of dungarees the other day

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Just seen the forsale section....

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I know, too many to choose from! lol.

(I'll text you tomorrow my sweet)

53 Clio's & counting
Ooh s**t I was supposed to ring you tonight, il drop you a PM now explaining what I said earlier x

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
All being ruined for no reason, its a shame so many get broken like this.

Killing a perfectly good (before some fickle tool decides to strip/generally ruin the thing) 172 is bad m'kay.

:(

I think the total opposite to many, restore them to former glory!

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
And if you spend £4000 on a turbo conversion but no diff you are simply stupid imo.

Well thanks for your opinion but have you actually driven a turbocharged clio? as I actually prefer opinions based on someones experiences.

My experiences are if you take one turbocarged clio (no LSD and 341bhp) , add one soaking wet Mallory Park track day, throw in a couple of evos, imprezas, M3's, even an Ariel Atom as well as a fine selection of renault hot hatches. Then sit back and watch the clio out accelerate and overtake everything on track.

Oh it was truley awefull and everyone I overtook looked at me and thought tsk "turbo converion and no LSD how stupid" LOL ;)

I'm pretty sure he could counter that argument by asking if you've driven one WITH an LSD and would like to argue the car isn't better for having one!

Last edited:
  Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
TBH it bores me when people make general assumptions about things they have no experience with. Most people who have a turbo/supercharged clio are blown away at how much traction a clio can generate. I've driven standard saxo VTS's which had more issues putting the power down.

I'll be honest I will end up with a diff, the point of the above was to show it performs pretty well without one :)

200 FF Storm Grey
I enjoy it, I love how its individual, other people love it, girl friend hates it, I then love it more and 2bh in terms of the money I ain't well off but its what I like to spend money on and really couldn't care if I get any of the money back as ill have had fun in the process.

I do 250 miles a week in a stripped out decatted yozza'd 182 and it doesn't irratate me in the slightest, every drive is an event and puts a smile on my face ;)