ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Performance Comparison - Corrado VR6 Vs. Clio Trophy

Does anyone know how the performance compares between a VW Corrado VR6 and a RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup/Trophy?

I'm only interested because I was very close to buying one before I took a complete u-turn and went for the Trophy and would like to know how they compare.

I know the 0-60 stats, but I would like the opinions of people that have maybe owned both and if they know the lap times of both on the same track.

I know Corrado's are supposed to be amazing cars for handling/performance but I can't imagine I could be having more fun than I'm having in the Trophy, I just want reassurance that I made a good choice. (there are some pretty good ones about for a third of the price).

Took my 205 GTi out for a spin(still for sale) back to back with the Trophy and it was very interesting. It feels ancient and quite fragile now and you really can't take anything like the speed into corners. (Someone on the peugeot sport website told me I would regret changing the GTi for a Trophy, they're too slow mate, were his words, he put an MI16 engine in his 205 and hasn't looked back, probably because he was looking sideways through the side window at every corner. 130 bhp was more than enough for that chassis.) Weird thing is though, it still felt fast, seems to have more instant punch, 50mph, third gear, nail the throttle and it really flies, when the 182 comes on cam though...f**king hell. It really likes to rev.

Thanks

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Comparing an old car with a brand new one is slighlty misleading. Even if the 205 had been completly rebuilt suspension, the chassis would have so much flex in it that the camber and geometry is going to be different (and changing) on every corner. Seem weld the 205, test the cars again and i guarantee a different outcome. 205's are brilliant cars (mainly due to the chassis), but ive driven so many that are lame. Find a good one and there isnt much that can touch it on a forest stage. Perhapa a well driven Integra or maybe a 16v.

It also depends what you want from a car. My 172 isnt as much fun as my 16 v i preciously owned. Its probably faster, and the engine is smoother. But its less fun. Do you want speed or fun?

As for the Trophy, i am affraid i cannot comment on its handling as i have never seen one. Persoanlly i doubt i would notice the difference between the car and the stnd 182 in terms of speed, so i guess your paying for a harsher ride and no colour options.

53 Clio's & counting
well i own a golf vr lightly tuned (chip,filter,coil overs) and speed wise doublt there would be much in it,iv managed tp pull past 182 but there wasnt much in it to be honest and although the golf handles well on the coil overs its a heavier car which u can tell if u chuck it around

Nissan 350Z
Tom Rigbanks said:
As for the Trophy, i am affraid i cannot comment on its handling as i have never seen one. Persoanlly i doubt i would notice the difference between the car and the stnd 182 in terms of speed, so i guess your paying for a harsher ride and no colour options.

Actually the trophy is supposed to be less harsh and more forgiving of the poor road surfaces in this country, a lot more compliant than the standard cup suspension, but also lacking roll around the corners.

As good as the 205 is, I'm not sure a standard one would outhandle a trophy.... maybe it would, but the trophy is meant to be one of the best handling hatches ever. In fact all of the RS Clios are meant to be praised highly for their cornering ability, its really only on this forum where i see them getting put down constantly. I am very happy with the way mine handles, I'd say mine handles better than my Mk2 Golf GTI and that was also a very very good handling car.

Nissan 350Z
To answer the original question, Corrado VR6 v Clio, there wouldnt be much in it really, the Corrado is 190 bhp but is also a lot heavier, the performance would be all but identical give or take. A lot of people w**k themselves daft about the handling of the 'rado as well, but I've spoken to a guy who actually had one and he thought the handling was overrated, stating the heavy weight of the VR6 engine up front making it very nose heavy.

I'm surprised at the comments about the Golf VR6 pulling past 182s as well.... an 1100 kg car with 180 bhp and 140 mph top speed being beaten by a 1300 kg 174 bhp car with a 137 mph top speed, but hey ho.

Clio 172 mk2
pbirkett said:
To answer the original question, Corrado VR6 v Clio, there wouldnt be much in it really, the Corrado is 190 bhp but is also a lot heavier, the performance would be all but identical give or take. A lot of people w*nk themselves daft about the handling of the 'rado as well, but I've spoken to a guy who actually had one and he thought the handling was overrated, stating the heavy weight of the VR6 engine up front making it very nose heavy.

I'm surprised at the comments about the Golf VR6 pulling past 182s as well.... an 1100 kg car with 180 bhp and 140 mph top speed being beaten by a 1300 kg 174 bhp car with a 137 mph top speed, but hey ho.

Yep..pretty nose heavy so not as nimble as the 182

Had a CVR6 before my Williams. Great cars, fantastic engine, but no-where near as much fun. I could get it to understeer in the VR6 if I really pushed it, and I've yet to achieve this with the Williams!

pbirkett said:
To answer the original question, Corrado VR6 v Clio, there wouldnt be much in it really, the Corrado is 190 bhp but is also a lot heavier, the performance would be all but identical give or take. A lot of people w*nk themselves daft about the handling of the 'rado as well, but I've spoken to a guy who actually had one and he thought the handling was overrated, stating the heavy weight of the VR6 engine up front making it very nose heavy.

137 top speed for the vr6?? is that correct?

i have video footage of us doing an indicated 155+ in my mates golf vr6.. and it didnt take aslong to get there as the 182 does to get to 135..

id LOVE to have this sat in my garage!
IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

and yes it did win a trophy.. lol

MKIII 138
pbirkett said:

actually a 182 is 1090 (172MKII id 1110 but 20kgs diffo is the spare wheel and tyres kit ((ive weighed it in my last 172))
a 182 cup is 1080 i believe and given the aluminimum dampers and recaro seats id say a trophy weighs the same as a 182cup if not 1075`ish

only thing is quite a few 182`s dont make there claimed power and some people who own them dont know where to change gear or how to extract maximum accelaration so it can lead to some amusing stories sometimes.

imo of course

I got a Mk2 Golf which has exactly the same chassis as a corrado. I have had it 13 years and have changed everthing on it. It had a 2litre 16v conversion with 169bhp at the wheels, and it's currently having a 20vt fitted.

Best quarter mile I've done in it is 15.01s, which sounds slow but it (or me) is terrible to get off the line even with a quaife lsd. On paper my 182 is faster but I can honestly say the Golf is much more fun to drive. Similarly to the 205, the Golf feels raw, noisy, and gives far more of an impression of speed. Handles superbly as well, but it has Koni/Eibach suspension roll bars etc.

Im all for progress, and the added safety, but the fun seems to be disappearing from the latest generation of hatches.

Thanks for all your responses, very interesting, i especially agree with the comments on the 205, a brilliant chassis it is, and unfair to compare with a brand new trophy, mine is 18 years old and undoubtedly has a lot of flex in the chassis, you can actually hear it groaning under hard cornering. It would be interesting to drive a time-warp one but I doubt even a new one would be able to carry as much speed into the corners or be as stable when trail braking into one. Part of the fun though, I was able to take the GTi to it's limits almost every day (and occasionally past them, especially in the wet) whereas I know I haven't been near the limits of the Trophy yet, it think you might need to track day it for that without being completely anti-social. I have only had the car a week though...in fact what am I doing working at my desk on a Sunday morning, I'm going for a drive, get that lazy-arsed EPS to do some work.

So I did good not buying a CVR6? I'm always going to wonder though, if only I had room and resources for three cars.

182BG
to be honest, get the trophy, newer, has warranty etc etc.
The VR6 is an amazing car, but its damn hard to find a low mileage one that hasn't been thrashed.
Not as many mods for the VR6 either, i dont think.

But anyways, get the trophy.... or get both ;)

A clio
i would say get the vr6. The trophy has a lot more advantages, newer etc but the vr6 looks a beast! My m8 had the vr6 storm and that was a nice but old car!