ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Petrol Vs Diesel

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member

Well, I am gonna be doing about 30K /40K in the next year, currently on about 20K per year in a MK1 PH3 1.2. All motor way miles. Gonna cost me about £45 / £60 a week, miles arent the same each week,s ometimes v.high, sometimes not as others, minimum 400 miles per week.

Now, doing that sort of miles, do i get a diesel, which would mean putting it on a credit card and paying it off ASAP.

Would be looking at the Clio Diesel, 306TD etc, nothing too big or too pricey.

Or, do I keep the 1.2 till it dies, on 85K at the minute, serviced regularly, no expense spared over the last 2 years / 35K, so hopefully should have no problem in the mean time.

Cheers for any opinions.

Deeg.

Elise/VX220/R26

from the rumours going round about diesel prices you might be better getting a frugal petrol. appareltyl diesel is supposed to be heading for big price rises later in the year wheras petrol is due to settle down a bit

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 19 July 2005

from the rumours going round about diesel prices you might be better getting a frugal petrol. appareltyl diesel is supposed to be heading for big price rises later in the year wheras petrol is due to settle down a bit
Sounds like its about time for me and everyone in my family to buy one then, lol.

Still stuck with a f**king betamax, lol.

i have a 306 DTurbo (as well as the 3000GT), very good car with aircon, electric everything, alloys and bucket seats, GTI6 suspension set-up and fairly sporty looking.

90 bhp, 0-60 is 11ish seconds, top is 110mph. not amazingly quick, but the torque is amazing for overtaking and ploughing up hills!

£50 of derv provides 650 motorway miles, group 5 insurance, parts are cheap through GSF and servicing is around £80 every 6k miles.

mine is on 115k miles, 1997 P reg facelift. only thing wrong is the odd electrical fault and had a new battery in the winter. no major faults so far! we also have a 405 Dturbo (same engine) with 240K on the clock! still pulls a caravan all over the country! its british racing green, and might be up for sale soon:D

James

Yaris Hybrid

Had a dci 80 as a courtesy car. Was getting 70mpg normally or 80mpg if I really tried hard. Pulling out of junctions it felt quicker than the 182 and Id take it over a 1.2 any day although at the top end they were similar.

Agree with others that you have to watch diesel prices. I managed to average between 48 and 55mpg average per tank on my 1.2 16v - 55 in the summer and 48 in the heavy winter traffic and all that autochoke. That was really trying so about 25 mpg less than the diesel but I know my neighbour only got 35 out of his 1.2!

I guess you just have to do the math.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by 3000GT_PILOT on 19 July 2005
i have a 306 DTurbo (as well as the 3000GT), very good car with aircon, electric everything, alloys and bucket seats, GTI6 suspension set-up and fairly sporty looking.

90 bhp, 0-60 is 11ish seconds, top is 110mph. not amazingly quick, but the torque is amazing for overtaking and ploughing up hills!

£50 of derv provides 650 motorway miles, group 5 insurance, parts are cheap through GSF and servicing is around £80 every 6k miles.

mine is on 115k miles, 1997 P reg facelift. only thing wrong is the odd electrical fault and had a new battery in the winter. no major faults so far! we also have a 405 Dturbo (same engine) with 240K on the clock! still pulls a caravan all over the country! its british racing green, and might be up for sale soon:D

James

i always wanted a DTurbo, loved them.

Elise/VX220/R26

Quote: Originally posted by Deeg on 19 July 2005
Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 19 July 2005from the rumours going round about diesel prices you might be better getting a frugal petrol. appareltyl diesel is supposed to be heading for big price rises later in the year wheras petrol is due to settle down a bit[/QUOTE]Sounds like its about time for me and everyone in my family to buy one then, lol.Still stuck with a f**king betamax, lol.

are you on drugs?

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member

What? ^^^ I was taking the piss.

If I were to get one, it would probably be the 306TD, always liked the look of the 306.

I get about 40 - 45MPG in the 1.2 at the minute, sits happily at 70 (ish) on the motorway.

Stay with the 1.2 for the next month or so, and then see what happens.

Id recomend buying a diesel. The Seat Ibizas are all VAG engine and are a good price second hand. if you want somehting bigger the Citreon Zsara is a good priced diesel.

Diesel wont rise that much over petrol IMO definatly not enough to warrent not swopping to diesel.

The dci 80 would be good but onces you start doing high speed the problem is they arnt that aerodynamic and the gearing isnt long enough. An older Skoda Fabis VRS is excellent as it comes with the very long gearing and would be the one Id go for if I was doing a load of motorway miles plus there good and cheap £9k should get you a good one.

I recieved my new Golf GT TDI yesterday. 138bhp and it doesnt half pull! In gear acceleration is superb! Not as fast as my 172 but more usable! I still wouldnt make the change though! It still sounds like a tractor, and i love the 7200rpm limit on my 172 not the 5200rpm on the golf! Thats why my girlfriend drives the golf!

I ve got the golf gt tdi too as my company car - superb!

Diesels are the way to go - but in your case why not stick with what you got - buying another will only cost you - ultimately you need to work out how much the car you have will depreciate with the anticipated milage addition over a given period combined withthe fuels costs. Then look at how much extra you will have to payfor a diesel then take into account the above two factors and apply them to the diesel. then see which works out cheapest for you!

Matt

The Jinx

Had 2 diesels now, the last being the dci80. Id be wary of imminent price hikes though which may eliminate any advantage the diesel has over frugal petrols.

I could only ever get a max of 57mpg out of my dci80 and that was driving it like a granny.

Dirty E91

There was somehtin on the new the last time prices went up, went along the lines of...

Petrol prices are seasonal apparently whereas diesel will carry on increasing as it isnt just cars, vans and lorries that use it plus there isnt the production capacity to deal with the demand, it hasnt increased since the 70s.