ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph-Quick Rally Car Build

Clio 220 lpg
Looking good, interesting chioce going for billies are they adjustable?, just that I adjust the rear shockers on every event as you can dial out the rear ends lack of grip on different venue's.

RB 182 Cup
Looking good, interesting chioce going for billies are they adjustable?, just that I adjust the rear shockers on every event as you can dial out the rear ends lack of grip on different venue's.

I've always used Billies on my rallycars... Very strong! ;)

Non adjustable, as I'm not that knowledgable to know what to change. I trust Bilstein's test drivers to know how to set up the dampers! ;)

RB 182 Cup
Despite my lack of posts, I have continued to beaver away over the last few weeks...

Firstly I spent a day under the car and fitted the exhaust, and adjusted it to fit the 182 manifold. We also removed the crap Renault exhaust mounts and came up with something a little sturdier!

DSCF1550.jpg

DSCF1548.jpg

DSCF1549.jpg

DSCF1547.jpg

Whilst the exhaust was off, I fitted the quickshift:

DSCF1426.jpg

Looks a bit Max Power, but the feel is loads better than the worn out standard part.

Also finished off the door cards and fitted them:

DSCF1427.jpg

Got some Clio Cup door handle spacers on order from Renault Sport, but they are taking ages to come through. :(

I then turned my attention to the rear suspension, and removed the Bilsteins to paint the wheel arches and rear beams, then refitted along with a stud conversion kit. Need new rear pads though, and keep forgetting to order some!

DSCF1537.jpg

DSCF1536.jpg

And then onto the fronts. Stripped the whole lot down, and fitted Brembo Sport Max discs, Carbon Lorraine Pads, refurbed lower wishbones with Polybushes and Gp N ball joints, Stud conversion, Billies, K-tec solid top mounts and painted the arches and hub carrier for good measure! Spent LOADS more than I should have, but it all looks shiney! ;)

DSCF1543.jpg

DSCF1545.jpg

DSCF1546.jpg

Which pretty much brings you up to date. Still got loads to do, and the first event is on the 31st. Best I pull my finger out!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I have the same short shifter if its the MB item? Loved it for the last 2 years of use :)

Nice motor and updates!

340i
Top work! Out of interest how much where the internal door handle spacers, there something I need to order.

Those "solid" exhaust mounts look interesting... The exhaust is meant to move with the engine and will ultimately expand and contract slightly with the heat?!

Looks pretty solid there :S

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Nice work!

The cup racer door handle surrounds are 55 quid delivered for the pair from R sport. It's depressing knowing that they probably cost about 5 quid to make :( Think mine took around 3 weeks to arrive, R sport have to order them from France iirc.

182cup & 172 racecar
Top work! Out of interest how much where the internal door handle spacers, there something I need to order.

Those "solid" exhaust mounts look interesting... The exhaust is meant to move with the engine and will ultimately expand and contract slightly with the heat?!

Looks pretty solid there :S
That's why we had to have a little think with ours,first of all I did a solid 'L' bracket just to get it all in place then stood back and thought "that's going to expand",so now have re jigged it with a rod for it to slide back and forth,hope it works should be some pic's on the build site if its been updated.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
I've got a set of CF door cards... Not looking forward to cutting them for window winders and speakers!

it will be stage 2 of mine, i will be going perspex windows and no sounds at all, problem solved...lol

Nice work!

The cup racer door handle surrounds are 55 quid delivered for the pair from R sport. It's depressing knowing that they probably cost about 5 quid to make :( Think mine took around 3 weeks to arrive, R sport have to order them from France iirc.

that much...hell, anyone got any pics of what they look like? surely they can be made easy enough

340i
FYI....

part no's for the door spacers

Can these parts only be ordered from R.sport, not a "normal" dealer?

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Part numbers are 7711153103 and 7711153104 and can only be bought from R sport. I'll get some pics of mine up.

RB 182 Cup
The exhaust is still bolted to the car using rubber "cotton reels" so that it will move and expand ok hopefully. Used a similar mounting method on my old XR2, and that worked ok. Not sure if they came out in the photos.

I actually ordered the spacers from the S1600 rally car rather than the cup ones as they were cheaper, but apparently exactly the same. Those are the part numbers Gray has listed. The Cup racer ones are 7711153103 & 7711153104. I've ordered them from a normal Renault dealer as the part numbers came up on their system, but they are on back order. I guess if Renaultsport don't have them in stock in Dieppe, then they are unlikely to make more. I have my fingers crossed! Barron and Bazzon have them in their track car:

IMG_0368.jpg

Thanks for the C&C's guys! :D

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Ffs don't say I've paid more than I should of! I actually wanted to cry when they arrived, I thought they were 45 delivered (which was bad enough) til I looked at the invoice!

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Nice work!

that much...hell, anyone got any pics of what they look like? surely they can be made easy enough

:p

RB 182 Cup
Despite the lack of updates, I have been carrying on, whittling away at my to do list. Running out of time now as my event is just 1 week away! :eek:

Anyway, since my last update I have done the following:

Made and fitted the mudflaps for the front and rear, and also the sill stand covers. These stop them filling up with mud and crap whilst driving.

DSCF1565.jpg

DSCF1566.jpg

I also fitted the interior door handles, using the Burp method of beeting the door in so that they fit flush. Unfortunately the Renault Sport spacers are no longer available apparently. :( I also fitted a pair of interior grab handles won from eBay, which look smart!

DSCF1567.jpg

I have also finished off the roll cage padding, which took an age to look right!

DSCF1568.jpg

Then last night, I removed the front bumper and nearside headlight. A quick modification of the headlamp bracket made enough room for the cold air feed pipes to the standard airbox. I know it's the norm to feed this from the fog light holes, but I wanted to use these for the brake duct feeds. Instead the air box is fed from the grille below the bumper.

DSCF1562.jpg

DSCF1569.jpg

DSCF1563.jpg

On Friday night, I drove the car home for the first time, which is the furthest I have driven the car. My god is it quick! Really raw as you would expect, but it sounds awesome. The Carbon Lorraine brake pads are good, but I couldn't live with them on the road, as the squeeking would do my head in! All in all, I'm really happy with the performance, which bodes well for the future.

I've also sourced my tyres for the event, Kumho C03 moulded slicks. :cool: I've started fitting these to the rims, but forgot to take photos, so you'll have to make do with this for now:

ImgTyrC03.gif

Also with the no photos yet excuse are the front fog light blanks. As mentioned above, at a later date I will be fitting brake ducts to these.

On the to do list before the Rallysprint is:

*Raise the front and re do the tracking to suit
*Fit new rear brake pads
*Try and complete more road miles in the car
*Fit the slicks to the car
*Clean and polish the car, and clean the glass. If I have time, I probably should clay it as well, to try and remove all the griding swarf, before it all goes rusty!
*Fit the new nearside wheel arch liner (on order)
*Take some exterior shots and post them on here!

If you are interested in coming along to watch the rallysprint, it is on Weston Airfield on the 31st of January. Strictly speaking spectating is not allowed, but you could always sign on as a marshall to get closer to the action!

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Hi
Just read through this and its superb!
How easy does the dash top come off? ! as I wish to remove my airbags on my ph1.

Cheers

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Looking really good mate, bet you cant wait to compete in it! I have a question about the dash top too, how did you manage to get it to fit with just the 2 small slots around the cage, looks really neat, i'm struggling with mine, have had to cut the corner right out to get it in around the cage.
Russ

RB 182 Cup
Great work mate

Good luck next week

good work sir,
good luck next week

Cheers guys! :D

Hi
Just read through this and its superb!
How easy does the dash top come off? ! as I wish to remove my airbags on my ph1.

Cheers

The dash top is really easy to take off... 3 torx screws along the top of the dash, and then 2 on either side. Then pull the dash top towards you to release.

Looking really good mate, bet you cant wait to compete in it! I have a question about the dash top too, how did you manage to get it to fit with just the 2 small slots around the cage, looks really neat, i'm struggling with mine, have had to cut the corner right out to get it in around the cage.
Russ

Yeah, can't wait but still bricking it! :S

I cut the dash top in half through the middle of the centre screw hole, as neatly as I could. I then cut the shapes out for the roll bars using a 50mm hole cutter and a jigsaw, then the dash top fits in in 2 halves with a bit of messing about. You can see that the dash is in 2 pieces in this shot, which is the best I've got at the moment:

DSCF0807.jpg