ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PH ugly sport vs 106 GTI

CS2 PH1, Pug S16,
Hello to all.
I know many time this theme was discussed, but ...
I have 106 S16 (GTI) 1996. But looking for clio.

Tell me what is the better car for every day use, sprints, slalom and trips about 200-500 km over the my city.

I love the pug, it's on ultraleggeras, 195/45/15 tyres, koni sport at the front, had light "projectors" and many things from sparco.

I'm afraid of loose the fun from driving, i am afraid that clio will slower from traffic light, i am afraid that clio not mine style...

May be clio users tells me more than reviews, yourtube and 106 owners?

Astra SRI/ Hornet
well ive owned a pug gti and 2 1*2's and i prefered the clio. the pug feels like it was built from foil and tissue paper and is very small, also standard vs standard the clio is faster.

CS2 PH1, Pug S16,
A read a lot of topics, the all says more fun. Fun in what and where?
I havn't race tracks, only streets and small sport arenas. I like driving pug, a can do it all day and night.

I will not disappoint in Clio? Clio decent receiver 106?

53 Clio's & counting
In my opinion, the 106 is a great little car, but since owning a 172 iv not missed either my 106 Xsi, 106 Gti or Saxo vts.

Brilliant little cars, but the Clio is an all round better car

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Ive had a VTS and GTi, a Phase 1 and at current a 182.

In my honest opinion, the Phase 1 172 was the best car by miles.

It does everything the VTS/GTi does except better, and for the same running costs.

Audi A3
Looking back now I'd of kept my 106 gti for a little longer. Superb car. More fun in the way it feels livelier, you feel closer to the road, more raw and cheap as chips to run and repair. The Clio is a better car, well specc'd feels slower because it's better built (surprisingly)

As revels said above the gti is more fun but the Clio a better car

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
The pug has better steering feel and more feedback. Its also lighter so has the edge on cornering. It has a more raw feel.
The Clio is more grown up and faster in a straight line. Its a bit tame as standard handling wise but at the same time its suspension design allows greater adjustability.

CS2 PH1, Pug S16,
in my country it doesn't matter. :))
hard mods (cams, manifolds, suspension, etc) are equally expensive on pug and clio

Listerine & Poledo
you can always get a clio then spend a grand on suspension bits to completely "transform" the handling.

Listerine & Poledo
not at all Ollie.

Everyone's saying "the pug handles better" yada yada.

well, the same will also say "stick coilies onto 1*2 for ultimate twistiez warrior action y0!"

Impreza Wagon
I've had both and I'm currently looking for an S1 Rallye project car for the winter. The Clio is a lot more refined but it has so many extras over a 106.

Audi A3
you can always get a clio then spend a grand on suspension bits to completely "transform" the handling.

As standard though the gti handles better, a lot of cars can be 'transformed' handling wise when a grand is threw at it. I had billie sportlines put on my gti and the handling was impeccable.

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
Im undecided weather to get a gti or a 182 :/. this thread has made me more confused lol!

Just get the one you like the look of better. You can stare at stats until you are cross eyed and get no where

Fiat Punto!
Just get the one you like the look of better. You can stare at stats until you are cross eyed and get no where

Very true. The clio is better looking but i like the thought of how good the gti handles. Then again the clios dont handle to bad do they?

Impreza Wagon
My old 106 handled very well but it was on a track setup. The Clio is standard apart from the cup pack and still feels pretty good and with a track setup I bet it would be just as good!!

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
A standard Ph1 172 would tare a standard 106 GTi a new arsehole!

I've had both.

clio 172
Iv had a 2 Clio sports and a 106 gti, let's put it this way as much as I loved the 106 I wouldn't buy another 1 after havin my clios!!!

clio 172
Also my 106 gti used to sit with my mates 172 in a line, n eat it for breakest around corners, but they are just to small and chavtastic now!!!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Standard vs standard the ph1 is noticeably quicker, I've tried and tested this more than once with friends, three different 106's, none were a patch speed wise on my 172.

I was surprised, but I'm just telling it how it is.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
i dont get why that would be surprising 120bhp say 900kg vs 170bhp and 1100kg. ive raced 106 gti's in a clio and raced clio's in 106 gti and clio always wins.
there not in the same class really 106 being super mini and clio hothatch so in terms of performance and equipment there different.

keo

Clio Trophy
I have had 2 106 gti's, more fun than the trophy. Trophy is faster around corners but the gti's would be more sideways :). Up to about 60mph there would be hardly anything between them, after 60-70 ish the clio will leave a 106 gti. Would like another 106 gti but i arent getting rid of my trophy for one and i dont realy want two hot hatches

Thread full of usual s**t - except for Kam's answer

Standard for standard a clio is quicker in a straight line - 106 loads better on handling

The 106 has better steering feedback and is a bit more "nimble" but build quality is poor and nearly all of them are starting to suffer from rot now
Clio is built slightly better and has more luxuries but is a bit heavy as standard

The 106 being only a 1.6 you have to rev high constantly to keep the power on - the Clio is a bit more effortless in its power delivery
106 is a b**ch to lower because of the rear torsion bars - and the beams are like cheese
Clio is a piece of piss to lower and a better suspension setup can be had

As Kam said - really the only deciding factor is which one you like the look of the most - as everything else is too close to call

Astra SRI/ Hornet
What you just said I basically answered with the first post. Lol so everyone apart from Kams answer isn't s**t.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Thread full of usual s**t - except for Kam's answer

Standard for standard a clio is quicker in a straight line - 106 loads better on handling

The 106 has better steering feedback and is a bit more "nimble" but build quality is poor and nearly all of them are starting to suffer from rot now
Clio is built slightly better and has more luxuries but is a bit heavy as standard

The 106 being only a 1.6 you have to rev high constantly to keep the power on - the Clio is a bit more effortless in its power delivery
106 is a b**ch to lower because of the rear torsion bars - and the beams are like cheese
Clio is a piece of piss to lower and a better suspension setup can be had

As Kam said - really the only deciding factor is which one you like the look of the most - as everything else is too close to call

So you dont have to rev the Clio high all the time to keep it moving?

Ahem.

clip_image001.jpg

120d M Sport
Lol Dannys had a GTI and a VTS! I agree about the 5k comment though...some days I'm in the mood for it and it feels great, others it can be a bit tiresome.

Does the Clio have a fair bit more noticeable torque on tap then, lower down the rev range?