ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172, a labour of love

Evo 5 RS
So about four hours ago now, I looked out the office window and thought, check it out. There’s still light out...this is insane. So decided to just jump in the car and drive. Screw the fact there’s about 14,000 people hammering it home to put Deal or no deal on driving into everyone in an effort to get there about 5 minutes before anyone else. So I jump in and go outward to where it really becomes rural, not even really in any form of hurry - just taking it in and exploring parts of Surrey I've never really cared to before.

So what is it that is so compelling about driving out into the middle of no-where, in a 12 year old car, a Clio, Just for the sake of driving? I don't know, I thought maybe come mid twenties that I'd of grown out of it and thought - that's just a complete waste of petrol.

Nah. What totally bewilders me about it all is that how even after 3 years, and spending more than I care to remember making it my own. Nothing has changed, I still love it as much as I did when I bought it, just before the gearbox decided to shred itself.

So I'm driving along and I accidently (debatable) stumble across Magic FM. The LED in the dash display goes out and I can't see a f*cking thing as I'm driving along so I leave it. f**king car. But I think to myself, dash will come off on Friday - no worries.

Now as a person, I really do not have the most patience in the world, and I think that if this happened in any other car I would have just punched the living crap out of it. I guess in a way you come to expect these things from a Renault...and it's at that stage you come to realise whether it throws a rod or eats balljoints, needs a new syncro...that they're awesome machines.

I've not really found any time to capture just how good a job Barham Autos did on this car. The paint really is amazing (I can't take all the credit so I'm not trying to blow my own trumpet). (Fred and Sam @ BTM also have to get a mention as they did a great job with the engine)
The car goes up to Cambridge on Saturday to Tour De Force to have its final tamper, and I cannot wait to get in it and finally let you all have a gander as well.

OK so most of you won't be arsed to read all that, to be fair in a media thread I wouldn't lol. I guess it's the fact that today for the first time in a while I remembered why I didn't sell up 2 years ago when not-a-single-thing worked on it. iPhone 4 camera is pants by the way :)

Great read mate :) There really is something addictive about these cars I don't know what it is but you can never leave them for long!

I have got so much love for your car! It looks f**king EPIC :cool: I can't wait to see it at TDF

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
De-badged front? <3

Oh, and seriously, the best ph1 on here.

More seriously, the only clio I've ever seen where the carbon bonnet looks perfect in carbon, not painted.

It just looks so damn good.

Lots of Alfas
I understand you completly, Ive owned my 172mk1 for about 7 years and never get bored of it, even though its not been modified.

Arctic Blue FF 182
Looks fantastic! Remember first having a soft spot for it when I saw it up at BTM! Favourite ph1 for sure!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Really like this.

Got to say, I've only owned a 1.2 which did nothing but give me grief. Still plan on my next car being another clio. RenaultSport variety this time though.

A lot of my friends have pure hatred for clio's, and **** them for being french, but I think it's just something about them, they have a lot of character.

Evo 5 RS
Cheers guys, hopefully you'll all get to see it at Brands in October & Bedford in August to anyone who's going to the Renault Sport days. If not CSS :)

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Absolutely love it. Straight into my top 5 favourite cars on CS. How much do you want for it? ;)