ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172 Question

PH1 V6
I have heard that some ph1's come with Aluminium bonets and others dont... is there any reason for this?

Im pretty sure mine is an aluminium one as it weighs practically nothing!

just a general question and wondered if anyone knew why :cool:

Storm Grey 200
I have heard that some ph1's come with Aluminium bonets and others dont... is there any reason for this?

Im pretty sure mine is an aluminium one as it weighs practically nothing!

just a general question and wondered if anyone knew why :cool:

errrr...

PH1 V6
you seem confused.... i was wondering why some bonets on the 172 are aluminium and others arent?

Storm Grey 200
Early ones were. Then some random ones. I think it was just down to what they had as to which cars got them. Bar the early ones...

PH1 V6
ahhhh rite ok cool. just wondered thats all as thought there could be a reason as to why the earlier ones did.

probably down to the materials the french could get their hands on for cheap at the time lol we all love their dedication to building a quality car!

Iceberg Ph1
IIRC only cars in silver (I cant remember if it was iceberg or titanium or both) made on the late 'W' and 'X' plate received the ally bonnets

P.S. I know this isn't what you was asking, but I thought I'd through that into the mix, also hoping if someone could correct me on which cars did actually have them

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Ahh ignore Nick P, he's the representative from The Ministry of Stating the Bleeding Obvious ;)

As for Renault, they made it up as they went along. Same as the shift lights..

"aaahhh i can naht be berthered to make a leet on thees wun! instead i will eat some cheeeese and make love to mah waife..."

If you want to find out if it's steel or alu, get a magnet and see if it sticks (try the inside so you don't ding the paintwork if it jumps out your hand haha !

Iceberg Ph1
My bonnet on my Ph1 has a dent and as for the shift light, I think mine was replaced with a Wood Louse, as I have a dead on sitting on my dials.. Beat that for build quality!

Golf GTD Mk7
it was only on the W reg ones mate. ie. the very first ones. quite rare and yes they are very light. my mates got one.

PH1 V6
mine is x reg lol and it has one... your right tho it weighs about the same as a paper bag lol

320d
I have alu bonnet and shift light. The bonnet realy is light. In reality it makes little difference to the car. I like it though.

CLIO PH1 172
shift light??? am i missing something??

and also how could i tell if my bonnets ally without taking it off? any stamps on it or anything??

my 172's on an X plate

ChrisCurr

ClioSport Club Member
  RenaultSport clio 17
Shift light is a little green gear stick simbol that comes on at 7000 revs to tell you to change gear. It's a bit strange cos I think the rev limiter kicks in a 7200.

You can defintely tell is you have a ally bonnet, it is very light.

CLIO PH1 172
cool never really thought about how heavy the bonnet is when iv lifted it lol ( only opend it a couple of time)

and dont think iv even reved that hight yet:eek:

Golf GTD Mk7
shift light??? am i missing something??

and also how could i tell if my bonnets ally without taking it off? any stamps on it or anything??

my 172's on an X plate

compare it to your RT mate? very very light imo. would make quite a difference in performance. Would consider getting a fibre glass one for mine if they didn't cost so dam much.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
:cool:-
I have alu bonnet and shift light. The bonnet realy is light. In reality it makes little difference to the car. I like it though.

Actually the real reason for the Allu bonnet is that so when the catch fails it flips up and doesnt cause too much damage to the roof.

IIRC anyway

:cool:

53 Clio's & counting
Shift light is a little green gear stick simbol that comes on at 7000 revs to tell you to change gear. It's a bit strange cos I think the rev limiter kicks in a 7200.

You can defintely tell is you have a ally bonnet, it is very light.

the 'shift ' light comes on at different times iv found, some cars 7k, some 6.8k

Also its there simply as a gimic. Its an indication that you are nearing the rev limit, its been called an optimum shift light, a change before you blow up light lol, but in reality its a gimic.

Mine doesnt have a ally bonnet, as my mates has one, and you can feel a difference when lifting one next to the other, but the std one's not exactly heavy in the first place lol