ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PH1 172/Saxo VTS Top Gear Test

CRS 197
We have to admit that the saxo is also a beast, with 40 hp less it keeps with the Clio in most cases.

They are both excellent cars

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
watch the clio roll in the bends and the saxo sit straight and planted.

phase 2 172
Saxo's all over it like a rash lol ... with 50bhp less

On track, with a little bit more power, bye bye clio ;)

Ive had both cars and the saxo is a better handling car imo.but the 172 is a fair bit faster in a straight line as the vid shows.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Having owned a Saxo VTS/106 GTi/Phase 1 and now a 182 i can say the Saxo and 106 are as standard, better handling cars.

Megane r26
Having owned a Saxo VTS/106 GTi/Phase 1 and now a 182 i can say the Saxo and 106 are as standard, better handling cars.

gotta 2nd that dude i had a lowered stripped out vtr before my clio an was better then my standard 172 but the clio is so much better built an now i have my coilovers on it would more then likely out handle it. Also got the love the 3 action from the clio in that vid :cool:

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
saxo's are gash. quick yes, but gash. renaults aren't exactly top build quality, but pugs/citroens are the rattliest!!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
tbf the front end on ph1's isnt the nicest is it lol

are you for real?! its one of best things about it! looks chunky. saxo just looks like your mums 1.2 west coast with fog lights.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Ive had both cars and the saxo is a better handling car imo.but the 172 is a fair bit faster in a straight line as the vid shows.

I've had 3 of each ;) clio is faster as standard, but with induction, manifold & exhaust, the saxo will irritate any clio (even cammed ones lol) up to about 100. Ask the boys that went to Llandow :rasp: