ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172 Track Car. Next Year I Go Racing - Hopefully!

Thanks for the advice guys.

Ordering my go racing pack now, seems a bit steep at £100 but will be small change if I get into this I suppose.

Looking at the sizing chart's for the race suits reinforces the fact I need to loose some weight, my height and waist do not tally up at all :eek:

A couple of other points I have thought about this evening.

1. Will I need to buy a race transponder? Or are they hired out on the day?

2. Also my car is still actually road legal and even has elec windows and mirrors. Will this be a problem for racing?

WRX
Cheapest way to get a transponder of your own is to get the battery powered ones on a yearly subscription. About £130 from HS sports etc.

Your car will be fine with leccy windows and mirrors, mine has them still. Mine is road legal still

My race car is still legal and will be fine, thy got funny with the steering lock, however as the car still had a tax disc They waved it through (lock had been removed now as its not an MOT requirement).

Its better to buy the GoRacing pack sooner than later as it tends to go up in price yearly.

I have actually removed the steering lock when I swapped the key barrel to the new epas column, so that is ok.

Just ordered my Go racing pack now!

My race car is still legal and will be fine, thy got funny with the steering lock, however as the car still had a tax disc They waved it through (lock had been removed now as its not an MOT requirement).

Its better to buy the GoRacing pack sooner than later as it tends to go up in price yearly.

New alternator arrived yesterday. It is apparently a brand new unit not refurbished, has a 2 year warranty, and all for the sum of £44.

2e2o1dy.jpg

It was very well packaged.

35mr3o5.jpg

ou1im1.jpg

All fitted, nice easy job to do with the cup setup.

29zu7gk.jpg

And outputting the correct voltage, better than the old one that was struggling to even output 12v at times.

slh3tg.jpg

WRX
Get it booked ASAP. The test really isn't worth worrying over, it really is easy. If you do it with MSV, they often have a doctor on the day to do the medical at the same time. It was £60 when I did mine with them, worth checking how much your doctor charges as they vary greatly.

Ok think I have got everything sorted or on the way.

ARDS test booked and Fire extinguisher system ordered.

Doing my ARDS at Oulton park, never driven there before so should be fun.

Going to pop in tweeks on the way back and get a race suit, gloves, and boots.

The only thing I haven't got a handle on yet is timing gear. Is it safe to assume I will be able to hire some on the day?

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
You can hire a transponder from tsl on the day yes, don't quote me but I'm sure its about £30. Otherwise if you buy a new one they're subscription based. I personally would try and find a non subscription version and be done with it. You're looking for an amb Tranx 260DP. DP is direct powered as in hard wired to the car, rechargeable ones are available too but if you forget to charge it you have no transponder.
Russ

WRX
Can't see from your photos but have you got an internal cut off that can be reached by you whilst in your harness?

Think I will probably hire one for the first race then, do they often come up secondhand?

You can hire a transponder from tsl on the day yes, don't quote me but I'm sure its about £30. Otherwise if you buy a new one they're subscription based. I personally would try and find a non subscription version and be done with it. You're looking for an amb Tranx 260DP. DP is direct powered as in hard wired to the car, rechargeable ones are available too but if you forget to charge it you have no transponder.
Russ

Yes it does have one but it's not in the right place as it's next to the battery behind the passenger seat.

It's one of the jobs I have got to do, I 'm going to move it to the centre console, along with the fire extinguisher pull cord when I install it.

It's also not wired correctly at the moment as it doesn't have a resistor to protect the alternator (might be why the alternator cooked itself) so I'm going to wire it correctly when I move it.

Can't see from your photos but have you got an internal cut off that can be reached by you whilst in your harness?

ARDS test passed today.

Just need to get a medical and a passport photo sorted and I can send the application off.

172 ph1
Great project...i have the same car and as ive said since it was 35k once it hit 60k i would retire it from road use and track it! this is the kinda kick up the jacksy i need thanks :)