ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 box on a 172 Cup nice ?

RS RIP
I've stripped some weight off of the Cup, it weighs around 960kg with driver. (weighed it on a truck-weightstation)
It's modified to around 200bhp. I have found, with the Cup box, the short 1st gear almost always "useless". With all the wheelspin and knocking when hitting it just a tad bit too hard.
My gearbox has started to show wear after 120k+ so i'm looking to refurb./change it.

I can get a JC5 089 with the longer final drive. Thinking of trying this and then repair/service my JC5 129.
I have always wondered if this ph1 box would not be a far better drive on a lightweight Cup, now even lighter. With the longer gears and all . More useable first gear, hoping the 2nd 3rd + 4th will still pull very strong like she does now.. Power wise the 200+ should do the job nicely with a Ph1 box,
Anybody care to share thoughts on this ?

I've got a ph1 box on mine, it's actually my second one and I prefer it. Not a world of difference but it's definitely better on longer runs (I drive 50 miles a day). If you're refurbing your 129 then go for it, if you like it then stick to that.

RS RIP
I've got a ph1 box on mine, it's actually my second one and I prefer it. Not a world of difference but it's definitely better on longer runs (I drive 50 miles a day). If you're refurbing your 129 then go for it, if you like it then stick to that.

I use mine only for thrashing purposes, it sits in the shed most of the time until i "feel the need" :smile:
Thanks for your reply. :up: Really just wondering about the power difference in the first 2 gears.. I almost have to "skip" first gear because i can't get any decent power on the wheels

53 Clio's & counting
I would look at your suspension set up, condition of your bushes and tyres - I have ran a ph1 on 194bhp (With throttle bodies) and even on standard shockers and road tyres I had little issue with wheel spinning - in fact throughout my 35 Clio's I haven't had really any issue unless its really damp/wet and im being heavy handed

To be fair mine only spins up in the first 2 gears if the road is damp or dusty. I find there's plenty of grip otherwise. Like I said it's not worlds apart but it's worth a try, it might be perfect for you!