ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph2 172 cup.....lower weight the only difference?

200T & 172 Project
I did a few searches but really couldnt find a answer so i'm sorry if it has been discussed loads. I have been offered a phase 2 172 and after some research 90% say the cup is better and faster but all ive found is the difference is suspension and weight saving.....is there anything different between the two i'm missing like engine etc?

Just wondering as everyone talks about the rawness of the cups and if I got the stock 172 and did some weight saving and properly set up coilovers would it be just as good as a cup?

Thanks
Tom

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
im pretty sure all cups have RS inlets? i know the ones i have seen have them anyway

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Different aux setup so cheapper major services and less drag on the engine due to shorter belt and no compressor.

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
No traction control either, slightly wider track? No headlight washers, no spare wheel. A number of things really

If you get truly geekty theres quite a few bits missing/different

Possibly the most geeky is the 3rd rear belt isn't there. and the windscreen is different

Gearbox is the same speeds but has a speedo sensor.

Lionel Richie
89kg total weight difference
20mm wider front track, 10mm wider rear (might be the other way round, i forget)
thinner glass (all of it!)
no AC (unless its a gay later model cup)
majority had RS inlets
no ABS

etc etc

If you get truly geekty theres quite a few bits missing/different

Possibly the most geeky is the 3rd rear belt isn't there. and the windscreen is different

Gearbox is the same speeds but has a speedo sensor.

i have a 3rd rear belt in my cup

HBT 172 Cup
Are you sure this whole thinner glass business is true? I have the original 172 cup broschure at home, its mentions a lot of weight saving feature, but there is no mention of the glass anywhere.

PB Clio 172
yep the glass is lighter/thinner, even your door cards are lighter. where they can they saved on weight including silly things!

172 Cup
Are you sure this whole thinner glass business is true? I have the original 172 cup broschure at home, its mentions a lot of weight saving feature, but there is no mention of the glass anywhere.

100% true so if you own a cup and any of the glass needs replacing i would make sure its the right part for a cup ;)