ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph2 172 Engine mount questions

2004 Iceburg 172
After replacing my dogbone mount (old one was completely shot after removal and inspection) this morning to try and eliminate the vibration coming through the car on hard acceleration, I still have a certain amount of vibration coming through the car (and a little knock if you let off and plant the throttle again) and it seems like another mount may be to blame. Going to try replacing the lower (gearbox) mount tomorrow but if there's still movement I suspect the top mount needs doing too. Question is: if it is the top mount which half if most likely to have failed? Is it the part on the inner wing or the part bolted to the cylinder head?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
upper gearbox mounts are normally shredded. Upper engine mount will likely be sloppy too

2004 Iceburg 172
I'm hoping it's just the upper gearbox mount tbh (as it's only about £6) but just thinking ahead. If the dogbone mount was anything to go by they'll all be in need of replacement!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Often the case that when you replace one you then find all the others have gone too, best to just replace the whole lot in a set TBH then its over and done with.
As if you leave it moving around on one, it ends up putting extra strain on the others.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I'm hoping it's just the upper gearbox mount tbh (as it's only about £6) but just thinking ahead. If the dogbone mount was anything to go by they'll all be in need of replacement!

Upper gearbox mount is a coont to change. Engine mount is actually a doddle, just need to make sure the mount that bolts to the body of the car is as far forward as possible when you torque it (ideally do before even putting on the part that bolts to the engine) otherwise the exhaust knocks.

2004 Iceburg 172
Well, I've just replaced the little round tw@t and taken it out for a quick back lane blast, and...

no vibrations!!1 Woooooooooop, I love my Clio again :)

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
What vibrations were you getting mate? Like through the steering wheel on the motorway when cruising etc?

I bought a cheapo ECP £5 one and think it might've worn already (4 months)!

Why is it such a biatch to fit? Thought it was remove the battery and two nuts and off?

When ever I've replaced the upper gearbox mount, it's the big nut on the top that's an arse to undo. It just spins the mount, on my ph-1 the nut on the bottom of the stud fell off. That was a real pain in the arse to get back on :|

I've replaced them on mates cars and never had any trouble annoyingly lol.