ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phase1 172 - Advice on buying

Punto GT
right, im going to look at a 172 this weekend...

it is on 82k & is a 2001 model.

i know the basics of buying a car...but want to know what to look out for with phase 1s.

obviously know the basics, sevice history, check when the timing belt was changed, check all paperwork ect

but would there be anything that a newbie owner/buyer could miss.

please let me know as im gagging to do some tri-poding as my miss's wont let me do it in her 172 cup lol

cheers for reading

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Whats your budget?

I've got a minter going to be up for sale tomorrow.

53 Clio's & counting
there is just a million buying buying guides matey, doesn't matter if its the 182 either the basics are the same :)

Punto GT
there is just a million buying buying guides matey, doesn't matter if its the 182 either the basics are the same :)

i know, but being the older car...there might be lil teething problems that renault had sorted when the brought out the facelifts...

so i wanted to know if there were any glitches like that.

Whats your budget?

I've got a minter going to be up for sale tomorrow.

£2000ish

53 Clio's & counting
nothing different than the rest really matey, apart from throttle sticking, which can be a few things, mostly the spring on the throttle body

Evo 6, E92 320d
if it idles fine then nothing to worry about mate :)

If it idles fine it must be one of a kind;)

Generally there a little ruff on idle, not too bad, if the air bag/serv light is on its usually the connectors under the seat, check the rear discs as they aren't cheap. Belt changes and proof its been well looked after with regular services is something to aim for.
The rear arches near the side skirt can show surface rust so check that, easily fixed though.

Punto GT
If it idles fine it must be one of a kind;)

Generally there a little ruff on idle, not too bad, if the air bag/serv light is on its usually the connectors under the seat, check the rear discs as they aren't cheap. Belt changes and proof its been well looked after with regular services is something to aim for.
The rear arches near the side skirt can show surface rust so check that, easily fixed though.

ill hope its the conectors under the seat...lol

as for the rear discs...expensive as in labour or the actual discs?

Punto GT
ok then thats cool then lol

------------------------

i work in a motor factors lol, so should get them cheaper than that...

------------------------

will also look for rust by the rear arches by the skirt

Last edited:

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Make sure its cold when you get there, a warmed up car hides potential engine faults.

Make sure the idle isnt all over the place and constantly hunting. Also check the oil level and make sure its golden brown and not black as two in the morning.

Fsh a must with these, if its been cherished itll run forever, Russ's is a prime example to this!

53 Clio's & counting
Make sure its cold when you get there, a warmed up car hides potential engine faults.

Make sure the idle isnt all over the place and constantly hunting. Also check the oil level and make sure its golden brown and not black as two in the morning.

Fsh a must with these, if its been cherished itll run forever, Russ's is a prime example to this!

i love you more and more every day xx

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5

Mines has nice golden brown oil :rolleyes:

Vw caddy tdi
As above and check ph1 buying guide out, theres few little nigglies to look for that can all add up.

FormulaFord Ecoboost
To the OP, if you're seriously looking to spend £2k on one then £10 on membership will gain you access to the members areas and the buyers guides. It will be worth it as you'll get the full buyers guide which could potentially save you a packet. :)

172 clio ph1
discs are expensive as the ABS rings usually come with them, same as wheel bearings

Hi, sorry to crash a post but mine look like they have been done but how much we talking if I wanted to change them for something half decent? Its a phase 1 172.

thanks... and how expensive is expensive?

53 Clio's & counting
for the rear discs supplied and fitted is circa £200, maybe a lil more depending on what garage you go to

172 clio ph1
I would fit them myself... :D so just need supplied.. :D although may see what the suppliers in derby have them priced up at.. was just curious..