ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Philips Hue and Living colours

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Never works as well as it's meant to though, in my experience.

Anyone got the Bridge 2.0? Unfortunately mine's the original so doesn't work with Siri :(

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Just got myself an Amazon Alexa dot thing. £39 and it is amazing. I can now control all the lights and central heating using it. Well worth getting if you have Hue.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Just got myself an Amazon Alexa dot thing. £39 and it is amazing. I can now control all the lights and central heating using it. Well worth getting if you have Hue.

I was looking into Alexa the other day and I've decided to wait until Google home comes out instead.
I take it you have Nest? Got mine fitted around a month ago and liking it so far :). My house will be smarter than me soon ha!

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
Hopefully somebody with experience can help me

I'm looking to grab a few of the Hue lamps for my living room mainly as back ground lighting and to highlight a feature wall

My question is does anybody know what differences there is between the bloom, Iris and Aura they all appear to do the same thing just wondered if anybody had experience and if one is particularly better than the others?

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
hue.JPG

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Finally setup my third bulb and with a baby at home now I've set the go to sleep thing on the app... starts dimming at 23:00 over an hour until they completely turn off at midnight. Also set the second bedroom to come on @ 06:30 which is when I'm getting changed for work, but haven't tried that yet.

Haven't used the app for a while mind, and as always there was a bloody update. It now seems like I cannot control all three bulbs in one go? i.e. making the colour the same on all at the same time. Am I missing something?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Pmsl at 16 million colours. I bet women have a name for everyone too.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Finally setup my third bulb and with a baby at home now I've set the go to sleep thing on the app... starts dimming at 23:00 over an hour until they completely turn off at midnight. Also set the second bedroom to come on @ 06:30 which is when I'm getting changed for work, but haven't tried that yet.

Haven't used the app for a while mind, and as always there was a bloody update. It now seems like I cannot control all three bulbs in one go? i.e. making the colour the same on all at the same time. Am I missing something?

I think you just need to setup your rooms in settings on the hue app then you can set which ones do what individually when you set the routines or scenes.

Miss read the post a bit. To achieve all the same at any time then use another app to do that or just set all of them as one room on the hue app.

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Yeah but I don't want to do it individually lol. On the old app you could move three circles into one, then move that one to any colour and all the bulbs would simultaneously become that colour... with the new app, I can't see a way to do that. So you had to go into each bulb and move them, which is a bit tedious, and also means unless you get it absolutely pixel perfect, they might be out from one another slightly.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Bit of a bump but I bought a couple of these the other week.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0148NMVX8/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Brilliant little things for anyone with Hue. Saves using the app and it's easy for any guests to use. Has 5 scenes that you can change as well as the dimming and pops off the frame (magnetic) to use as a remote if you want.
I'll be getting a couple more at some point I think :smile:.
I keep meaning to get a couple of those. Either that or the Tap

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Get these. Far better as they have more scenes, are dimmers, less than half the price and don't sound s**t when you press the buttons lol.
how do you change scenes on them? looks like it only has on or off or brightness

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
@optical
Each time you press the ON button it changes the scene x5. Default ON is last used one which is a good option over using the normal light switch... The others are just different whites.
You can then use the app to program any scene you've created and assign it to one of the 5's

Reactions: Gus
  330i. E30 Touring.
Those in the know - if i want to get a couple of changeable coloured lamps to add some colour to walls, what's the best way to do it?
Will those little independent lamps above do the trick, or is there a central controller needed?

How do you change the colours on the smaller ones (to match)?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Those in the know - if i want to get a couple of changeable coloured lamps to add some colour to walls, what's the best way to do it?
Will those little independent lamps above do the trick, or is there a central controller needed?

How do you change the colours on the smaller ones (to match)?
Each one comes with its own remote. However I think only one light can be paired to a remote, rather than control multiple lights from just one remote.

To light up a whole wall, I'd recommend the light strip. I've got one running 2m on top of the skirting board behind our sofa. Only problem is, it shows up every single imperfection in the plastering lol

330i. E30 Touring.
Each one comes with its own remote. However I think only one light can be paired to a remote, rather than control multiple lights from just one remote.

To light up a whole wall, I'd recommend the light strip. I've got one running 2m on top of the skirting board behind our sofa. Only problem is, it shows up every single imperfection in the plastering lol
I don't mind there being breaks in the light TBH, so might just go for a couple of those small ones. :)

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I don't mind there being breaks in the light TBH, so might just go for a couple of those small ones. :)
You can get the bloom starter kit at a good price. That's two blooms and the bridge. Plug bridge into your router and then install the app. Jobs a good'n

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
This stuff costs a fortune. Have my first Hue stuffs arriving today and tomorrow. Got 6m on LED coloured strip coming today for the underside of the kitchen units and 2 Iris lamps coming tomorrow for either the living room or the bedroom.

Half tempted to get one of the home assistant thingys now ie. Amazon Echo or Google Home.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
This stuff costs a fortune. Have my first Hue stuffs arriving today and tomorrow. Got 6m on LED coloured strip coming today for the underside of the kitchen units and 2 Iris lamps coming tomorrow for either the living room or the bedroom.

Half tempted to get one of the home assistant thingys now ie. Amazon Echo or Google Home.

If you're going to get one do it now as they're £34 until the end of the month. I'm thinking the same thing!

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
If you're going to get one do it now as they're £34 until the end of the month. I'm thinking the same thing!

Ordered one of the Echo V2 thingys this morning. Delivery expected around 2nd December. Went with Echo as apparently its the better smart home device over Google Home, though I imagine Google will quickly catch up.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
We use our echo dot a lot, controlling the lights and setting timers while cooking. It's proved more useful than I thought it would.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Ordered one of the Echo V2 thingys this morning. Delivery expected around 2nd December. Went with Echo as apparently its the better smart home device over Google Home, though I imagine Google will quickly catch up.
I thought it was the other way round ? D'oh don't know which to get now ! Alexa is based on bing search engine which is shite but I don't like saying Ok Google which sounds garbage.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Got to say after 3 years of having my hue lights I am still very impressed. Out of 8 Iris' 5 blooms and 4 of the dish shaped ones non of them have broken, they work just as well as the day I bought them. I use them at least 8 hours a day too.
There are some cool things you can do with them. I use IFTTT to interface with them too which means I can get one or two of the lights to blink once when the boiler starts and stops (linked to nest). One light blinks red 5 times when the wifes phone is within 500m. The entrance lights turn on when I am close to home at night. I have profiles set up for watching films, white light, sunset light and a profile for when I am away that keeps one or two lights on randomly to make it look like someone is home.
I have the tap remote in the lounge to turn the lights on and off - its a bit limited in functionality and wouldnt mind a more advanced remote.
Alexa is fairly good, dont use it for the lights that much but its useful to tell her to turn the heating temperature up to 23 or whatever.