ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography Chat and Questions Thread

Not sure on the cost of a repair, but a replacement barely used lens from Talk Photography is only about 50 quid. Might be worth considering.

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
Cheers for that, will have a look round there and see.
Cant decide if a slightly more varied focal length would be beneficial or not.
Fixing it seems possible if it is a ribbon cable, but fiddly.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Finally got time to post this up, my Canon camera takes a EF-S lens and been looking to purchase my fisrt new lens. Been looking at this one as i need something to zoom out more.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EP71ETU/?tag=cliospnet01-21

I tend to photograph a bit of everything so far, street, landscape, objects close up. And i like to blur out the background and the subject/object still in focus. Really tempted in buying it. I have no idea on lenses and the Aperture that goes with it.

If i go for a new lens will it be better image quality than the original one i got 18-55mm?

Cayman S Edition 1
Finally got time to post this up, my Canon camera takes a EF-S lens and been looking to purchase my fisrt new lens. Been looking at this one as i need something to zoom out more.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EP71ETU/?tag=cliospnet01-21

I tend to photograph a bit of everything so far, street, landscape, objects close up. And i like to blur out the background and the subject/object still in focus. Really tempted in buying it. I have no idea on lenses and the Aperture that goes with it.

If i go for a new lens will it be better image quality than the original one i got 18-55mm?
Having been through the pain in lenses over the past couple of years, I can't stress enough how important it is to spend as much as you can afford. I had the 18-55 originally but then moved to a tamron which was a huge improvement.

This one is double the price of the one you posted but might be a better alternative buddy.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-tamron-70-300mm-f4-5-6-sp-di-vc-usd-lens-canon-fit/p1520736

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
One guy at Jessops said the same thing and a lad at work did too. Get a better lens not a camera body. I've never heard of Tamron is it better or worse or the same as Canon/Nikon?

The one i posted is that an old model or what?

Another thing i'm not sure on is on Flickr i can see people taking shot like landscape shots in a low lenth lens like a 17-35MM.

Is there any websites where i can see what size lens/aperture does what kind of shot? The Lens guide on here doesn't show pictures any more iirc.

Down the line i think i may have different lenses for different scenarios, macro, portrait, wide angle and so on but not sure what lens size/aperture does what?

Also does the EF lens fit an Canon 500D EF-S lens as standard?

thanks for the help Jay_A

Cayman S Edition 1
Tamron / Sigma in some cases can be half the price of Canon, but pretty much just as good as high end stuff.

A mate of mine is going through a similar thing and I keep saying to him, decide on what you want to shoot before buying a lens, as thats critical!
If you've got an iPad, buy a few copies of Digital Camera magazine. Its always full of useful stuff around equipment and how shots are done. Also have you considered a canon 50mm lens? They're dirt cheap and absolutely brilliant for the money.

All my stuff is shot with a 24-105L on a 5D mkIII, but if I were to shoot wildlife etc, I'd want to go for a 300mm or greater.

Yes I "think" EF will fit a 500D.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I've heard of Sigma before and i know Jessops are doing Tamron too. And i've seen Tamron in mago too. Bought my first mag Photography Digital DSLR and a 2 days ago bought Practical Photography which seems my type of mag for beginners.

Infact i'm on Amazon now and Canon UK looking at lenses and Amazon says the 50mm is No1 seller http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EF-50-1-8-Lens/dp/B00005K47X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1423861106&sr=8-2&keywords=canon ef lenses

had a look at the reviews and your right for the price it's a bargain. I'll get that ordered now.

I'm doing a photography course (beginners) half way through of 10 weeks and one of the lasses shes lending me that lens i mentioned at first on Wednesday so see how that goes.

Is it worth it getting a better camera say a Canon 750D then getting better lenses or stick with what i got? Fancy a new camera like with more megapixels

Last edited:
  Cayman S Edition 1
You won't regret it mate. Great lens.

I've only been shooting with a DSLR for 3 years, but its been a steep learning curve. I spent a lot of that time shooting models, but now prefer the simpler things and enjoy the challenge of landscapes, architecture and nature stuff.

Once you get the hang of how to use shutter speeds, aperture etc, prepare to have a wild time learning about light. I never appreciated how it can make a photo go from pants to amazing;)

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I've ordered it now, arriving Tuesday. I'm following you on Flickr can you tell what sort of lenses i need by what i've posted up on there?

Need to do homework on Flash for next weeks course, no idea what to photograph. I want to visit a local park Hardwick Hall this weekend with my tripod and maybe some car trails just before dark

Cayman S Edition 1
Had a quick look. The 50mm will do you wonders. Maybe look at something up to a 24mm in the near future for the landscape stuff. Obviously with you having a cropped sensor in the 500D, any lens you use will be 1.5 x the focal length. i.e. a 50mm will be 75mm on your camera.

Great camera though. I started with a 600D which was pretty similar and did me proud:)

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
The canon lens you first posted for the money is very good value. I used it for a long time while I had a crop body. The image quality is no different to the kit lens in my opinion, it just gives you a greater reach.
You could probably get it cheaper though, I think I paid just over £100 for it 2 years ago and I got £80/90 trade in last month at my local camera shop.

What flash work are you doing? Have you got an off camera flash or are you using the built in one?

The 50 will be a very good lens for you to learn with with it being fixed focal length. Helps a lot with composition, having to think a bit more about the shot.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Yeah been a fair few times where i needed that extra zoom like. I've got no idea on what sites/shops at a good price to get the lenses from other than Amazon, i much prefer to get new (just the way i am)

There's no specific area we need to photo on Flash Aaron could be anything. it's the last thing on the camera before we go to Cropping and sloppy water then computer improvements like photoshop then differences shooting on RAW/JPEG then sorting out a Portfolio then the beginners course is finished.

Edit. Yeah just be using the standard built in one. Been looking at getting a bigger memory card Sandisk Extreme not sure which one.In the near future be shooting in RAW, was shooting in RAW for a few weeks then went back to JPEG. Been reading the mags i got and the SRB ND1000 filter came up Class 10 iirc? Worth getting one? I've got a Polorizing Filter

Last edited:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Crumbs I fear I could have taught you all of that and more over a cup of tea.

Erm...

Read the stickies on here.. Then read them again.

Most important of all is just use the camera.

When I got my Fuji bridge I couldn't justify going for an SLR. 18 months later I upgraded to a 450d and 18 months later I upgraded again to a 7D.

Each time I was almost at sq.1 with the new camera .. A bit out of my depth.. but I've just used it, learned what's what and moved on..

Unless you're shooting birds half a mile away.. You can always take a shot and the crop it later to suit - with 10+ MP to play with (don't know what your camera has for a sensor..) ..... Won't need to spend a fortune on zoom lenses which you'll use twice then barely ever again.

Canon APS-C (crop) sensors are 1.6x for reference. Also EF is for full frame and EF-S for crop sensors like your 500D. Unless you're going the wrong way.. i.e.: using EF-S lenses on a full frame (which you aren't) then you've not much to worry about.

Italian 3.2 V6
is any else having issues signing into Flickr? it won't let me sign in on my macbook?? and its really frustrating as i have loads of new work i want to show!! Grrr.. reset my passwords, usernames and everything but just won't let me in :(

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
is any else having issues signing into Flickr? it won't let me sign in on my macbook?? and its really frustrating as i have loads of new work i want to show!! Grrr.. reset my passwords, usernames and everything but just won't let me in 😧

Nope .. but I don't think I've ever logged out......

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone fancy doing the photography at my wedding next year or atleast letting me know how much I should be paying??

You could end up paying a fortune and having s**t pictures if you don't put some effort into researching. I'd find a few around your area and meet them. Ask for examples of the previous weddings they have done. There's a lot of different styles that people use.
I know people who have paid 1500 and they were very unhappy with their pictures. We paid 400 to her friend who does a lot of wedding and music photography and we are very happy with the results. Baring in mind we both do a lot of photography and we're very picky. We met 5 people before deciding on using her friend.

Where abouts in the county are you?

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
Luton.
A company who has been recommended is £350 for the day and then £1100 for a wedding book and CD. I was expecting £400ish for a photographer for the whole day and a nice presentation book.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Been using my tripod a little recently and I've knacked it, there's a handle where you can turn to raise the height of the base where the camera sits. It's a Hama basic one, also it's a little low on height i got to bend down to look at the screen. Is there any recommendations on a newer Hama or any other half decent brand out there? Willing to spend say £30 on one

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Been using my tripod a little recently and I've knacked it, there's a handle where you can turn to raise the height of the base where the camera sits. It's a Hama basic one, also it's a little low on height i got to bend down to look at the screen. Is there any recommendations on a newer Hama or any other half decent brand out there? Willing to spend say £30 on one
Look on Tesco direct. Traveller pro compact. It's £25 on there. I used one for years before upgrading to my new one.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/hama-tr...ripod/210-4437.prd?skuId=210-4437&fromRV=true

Last edited:

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Luton.
A company who has been recommended is £350 for the day and then £1100 for a wedding book and CD. I was expecting £400ish for a photographer for the whole day and a nice presentation book.

That seems an odd pricing structure to me, but I don't photograph weddings (well, not usually) Buy I can't see you getting a full package for under £800 - going on where you live. Assuming it'll be on the London price range.
All I can say is do so research into someone, especially of they seem cheap.

Wedding books are expensive, as is everything wedding associated. Maybe think about getting the images on a CD/USB stick and put together an album yourself to save money. Just get prints done at a decent printers, not a machine in the shopping center.

Good luck.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
That seems an odd pricing structure to me, but I don't photograph weddings (well, not usually) Buy I can't see you getting a full package for under £800 - going on where you live. Assuming it'll be on the London price range.
All I can say is do so research into someone, especially of they seem cheap.

Wedding books are expensive, as is everything wedding associated. Maybe think about getting the images on a CD/USB stick and put together an album yourself to save money. Just get prints done at a decent printers, not a machine in the shopping center.

Good luck.
Thanks.
Getting a disc is £550 on their site lol.
So £900 all in. Just seems f**king silly money for what it is.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks.
Getting a disc is £550 on their site lol.
So £900 all in. Just seems f**king silly money for what it is.

License to print money.
I should have started doing wedding photography years ago. Or anything to do with weddings tbh.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Spot on that, just been doing some night car trails on a bridge and the railing was just in focus at the bottom so had to adjust. I'll get that ordered soon, which one you upgrading too Aaron? Is Hama still the ones to go for for tripods still?
I went for a Manfrotto 190. It's weighty but it's very stable. I'll still be using my compact though sometimes.

Astra VXR NBG ED
Has anyone ever made a crane to fit their tripod? Or a slider/dolly?

Interested to see any work.

I've made my own rig for stills on the car but I really want to get into video next

IMAG0293.jpg

8366437585_f4682f48c6.jpg

IMG_8676 by Ben Grace, on Flickr

8369121835_b596370e46.jpg

IMG_8682-Recovered by Ben Grace, on Flickr

8370227256_76cbd677d1.jpg

IMG_8721 by Ben Grace, on Flickr

8480972521_a5fa5f0ea8.jpg

IMG_9056 by Ben Grace, on Flickr

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Has anyone ever made a crane to fit their tripod? Or a slider/dolly?

Interested to see any work.

I've made my own rig for stills on the car but I really want to get into video next
I started making one for timelapse but it didn't work out right. It wasn't smooth enough, mainly to so with the motor. The dolly was alright but struggles under the weight of a DLSR. Need to look back into it this year as I want to sort a stepper motor and a timer.

Astra VXR NBG ED
I started making one for timelapse but it didn't work out right. It wasn't smooth enough, mainly to so with the motor. The dolly was alright but struggles under the weight of a DLSR. Need to look back into it this year as I want to sort a stepper motor and a timer.
I see. The movement of the crane, was this smoothness due to the tripod head or does it swivel on something else?

Astra VXR NBG ED
Sorry, I made a slider with a rolling dolly, not a crane.
Ahh ok.

Are you going to fix a motor to it did you say? I don't mind trying to put together a manual one. I probably only need a meter long slider. But it would be nice to have it at different heights and angles.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I went for a Manfrotto 190. It's weighty but it's very stable. I'll still be using my compact though sometimes.
the Manfrotto looks nice but way above my price, went for the one you suggested was £45 on Amazon same one too.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Because they can.

@Matt_90 does wedding photography iirc. I think this is his site
http://www.matthewlawrencephotos.co.uk/

@Hans. £500 is super cheap for a wedding tog, I charge nearly double that as a base package. If you broke down the hours for one wedding, including admin work, emails, meetings. Then the 10-12 hour wedding day, second photographer, 20-30 hours editing, creating albums, delivering finished photos, blogging etc etc .. It doesn't work out to much an hour.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
Don't get me wrong, I understand the hours etc but from my point of view, it just seems a lot of money for some pictures.
I will pay what I need to pay but already paying X amount of money for a wedding im not even bothered about is hard lol.

SQ5
All you have to do is look one here, or any car forum, and see that some people have a DSLR and can take good looking photos, then compare it to the photos from some of the professionals and you can see the difference.

I'd rather pay a bit extra for someone whose not going to f**k them all up. I did the same as @Matt_90 and broke down the hours, our photographer did it too, explaining how long things take, and me and my missus knew as I've fucked about with cameras and she did photography at college.

I tend to do that with most things these days, especially with the wedding coming up.

Italian 3.2 V6
matt your website looks class!! Fantastic portfolio and pictures too! id love to shoot weddings but i hate pressure.. wedding are full of it! i much prefer the laid back landscape approach lol. but i guess you adjust to being a wedding photographer after your first few.

its just a shame weddings is wear the majority of the money is at in photography!

Iv just started selling canvases this last couple weeks and the profit margins art great by the time iv paid somebody to print and frame them up, then delivery etc etc. :(

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Just got the 50mm lens delivered today, haven't had a play about with it yet. Also picked up the Hama tripod, got a bit frustrated with the ball type moving compared to my old type which didn't have this type, do you get use to it pretty quickly? I did use it in the dark like

Iv just started selling canvases this last couple weeks and the profit margins art great by the time iv paid somebody to print and frame them up, then delivery etc etc. 😧

Its something I've been thinking about doing. Do you do it through Facebook?
I wasn't sure if it was worth the hassle, you really need to push to sell and like you said the profit margin can't be great. Especially if your getting quality canvases done and not the cheap ones.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I have sold a few prints over Facebook but haven't made much profit.
I could if I used poor quality materials but my print cost me £13, Mounts were £5 and frame £20 (fairly cheap for the quality of it but I got a good price through my camera club). Add time to that for collection of prints, frame etc and you are left with very little. Sold it for £50. A3 print size.

I need to look in to getting some more local shots and look at selling them at craft/country fairs this summer.