ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography Chat and Questions Thread

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Looks sleek and clean. Good job. Amazing photo's too and amazing your self taught too

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
The only issue I had was the initial load up time of the home page image but that could have been my phone /Internet as the rest of the site loaded up fine.
I was too tired to type any more this morning!

The only issue I had was the initial load up time of the home page image but that could have been my phone /Internet as the rest of the site loaded up fine.
I was too tired to type any more this morning!

Think the image size is a large file on the front page, ill get that changed. Thanks for pointing it out.
If you have only viewed on your phone you haven't really seen the site. The phone version isn't the same as the main site.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I'll have a proper look on the laptop when I'm back on it and give you feedback from that too.
I need to sort mine out, it's too busy and just not right but I've not really been bothered about it recently.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Could you give the option of having a slide show of your pics on the home page?

I'd like to set up a website one day and get some company cards too lol. I'm not good enough yet and way down the line

Cheers guys.

Was thinking of a slide show Mark, and upon your request I've added one.
Let me know if it brings anything or if it was better before.
Also made and "about" for the shop.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Cheers guys.

Was thinking of a slide show Mark, and upon your request I've added one.
Let me know if it brings anything or if it was better before.
Also made and "about" for the shop.

Having 5 1 from each is a great idea, looks really tidy not too over crowded with stuff that you don't really need. Is there a function to turn off the slide show by the customer or is it on your end? Having one is nice and simple but having 5 gives more choice but having one brings the customer to have a look further in on your site. Could get iritated having a slide show can you make the slide show go slower to get a proper look at the pic? if not just make it just as before

Having 5 1 from each is a great idea, looks really tidy not too over crowded with stuff that you don't really need. Is there a function to turn off the slide show by the customer or is it on your end? Having one is nice and simple but having 5 gives more choice but having one brings the customer to have a look further in on your site. Could get iritated having a slide show can you make the slide show go slower to get a proper look at the pic? if not just make it just as before
Cheers Mark.
You can pause it by just hovering your mouse over the picture.
Ive slowed it down a bit now so hopefully thats better.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Cheers Mark.
You can pause it by just hovering your mouse over the picture.
Ive slowed it down a bit now so hopefully thats better.
Much better Tony, which site did you use in the end? I'm really thinking about doing one, even though I've just started photography I want to show my pictures properly other than Flickr, I'd like to sell my pics down the line. Need to start off making the first steps. I've looked at Moonfruit.com it's free but what's the catch? Do you pay to get on the servers or something do people can look at your website?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Site looks really good on the laptop Tony.

Mark, you'll have to really advertise your site if you want as much traffic as you get on your Flickr account imo.
I don't think you get traffic from paying to get on the servers, don't think it works like that.

I used WordPress for mine but it's very limited on what you can do, the theme styles etc.
I'm going to look at migrating mine to a better site this year I think, somewhere where I can put a shopping basket.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3

Mark, you'll have to really advertise your site if you want as much traffic as you get on your Flickr account imo.
I don't think you get traffic from paying to get on the servers, don't think it works like that.

I used WordPress for mine but it's very limited on what you can do, the theme styles etc.
I'm going to look at migrating mine to a better site this year I think, somewhere where I can put a shopping basket.

Was on about business cards with people at work, I think I was joking when I said it like. Only got a hand full of photographs on Flickr and haven't got that many people following me guessing no more than 200. Some people on there have thousands some have 10,000 + followers. I've only started it this year even though I signed up for it in 2011. Some people get 100 faves with in the first hour cos all the followers and then they post the photo again so it's at the top even though it was already posted days ago.

I don't mind setting up a website and start building up my pics too, not really selling prints online just yet need more confidence. Like to sell to friends and family and go from there. The guy Philip who does our class, he said to all of in class, who is interested can give 5 your best photos and can be shown on Philips own website for a week or two. Adding a shopping basket should be a big leap for you Aaron

Much better Tony, which site did you use in the end? I'm really thinking about doing one, even though I've just started photography I want to show my pictures properly other than Flickr, I'd like to sell my pics down the line. Need to start off making the first steps. I've looked at Moonfruit.com it's free but what's the catch? Do you pay to get on the servers or something do people can look at your website?

It was a little quick before. Thanks for the input.
It was done through wordpress, a friend is currently hosting it but that may have to change soon as he needs £18 a month to do so.

If you only want to show your photos then flickr or 500px are what you need. If you can set up a site of your own cheap enough and easily enough then go for it. You can get some free ones, but you won't get much for free. I got a free one with my domain i bought but its a single page only.

To get traffic to your site you need the SEO set up correctly and well, i currently have none so I doubt I get any traffic.

Cheers Aaron.

Look into WordPress again mate, seems you can do most things on there.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
In the Advanced class i'm doing now, third session in and last class i was a bit knocked back in confidence as the homework for last week was "Cropped" i showed them 4 i think were great shots and they were cropped but the other 15 or so in class showed way cropped photos and i feel didn't get any good feed back even though they wern't that copped. This weeks homework is "Leading Lines" only 4 pictures. I had another walk down Durham Riverside and went on this path i don't recall been on. I'll show some pics that i like and on what you think on them and possibly show in class

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Early Morning Flowers.jpg
The Peg.jpg
The Air Vent.jpg
The Straight Wall.jpg
Line up the Stairs.jpg
To the Chimney.jpg
Tree Trail.jpg
The end is near.jpg
Spectating Canoe.jpg

Also didn't get much light into the lens with under the trees, majority of the time i was changing settings mainly was on ISO 400 depending on depth of field

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Got a question, if you got a focus point say at the front of the pic and you want it in focus and you got other focus points in the pic that you want in focus too further back in the pic. Would you have it in F16? I've tried F22 on some shots and the front focus point seems a bit out of focus. What i do sometimes is AutoFocus and use the focus point nearest to me as there is 9 focus points on my camera. Or whould you use the Manual focus and focus on the point say a rock nearest to you. I kind of do and don't understand the 1/3 in focus and when to use it.

I read if you use a lower F number and the object is closer to you the more it will be in focus, if you use a higher F number it will be out of focus.

Hope you understand that. Also another thing i read in a photography magazine that if your lens has Image Stabilization and it's ON and you use a tripod it will effect the picture? What's peoples thoughts on this?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
That lens does look lovely. I need to get rid of my 550d plus 10-20 as they are just gathering dust. Probably go halfway to getting one of those, just not sure it would be wide enough for me.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Arrived at work today as normal and 2 people came up to me saying they saw one of my pictures on the North East local news over the weekend. As far as i know they show 1 pic before or after they show the weather forcast. My picture came up also with my name, i think it's the Old Fulling Mill one which i took a couple months ago. I didn't get a email back of them, i presumed they weren't good enough.

.Joe

ClioSport Club Member
  Mini Clubman
i've been doing a lot of nightclub, night shots recently and my focus keeps playing up, i can't seem to get the AF assist light to work
Canon 7d
24-70 2.8l
any ideas?

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I've still got a lot to learn in photography and I think honestly I'm still not very good. I was very very surprised that they showed a picture of mine on TV. At first I thought it was someone else with the same name as me. With only 5 months experience I've still got a lot to learn

Well done Mark.

I had some photos at an exhibition the last few days. The organisers said it went well.

Id like to do more of it, anyone know how to go about doing so? Or where to find out about doing so?

17742687792_40bc312393_c.jpg
Untitled by ts446, on Flickr

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Well done Mark.

I had some photos at an exhibition the last few days. The organisers said it went well.

Id like to do more of it, anyone know how to go about doing so? Or where to find out about doing so?

17742687792_40bc312393_c.jpg
Untitled by ts446, on Flickr
f**king hell Tony art exhibition, very very good. I wonder if the people standing right next to you knew who you were lol? How long have you been into photography then?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Good work Tony. I'm sure @Brazo had some shots in an exhibition last year.
I have had a few shots in a collective with my camera club but I want to get my own sorted this year. It'll only be in a cafe in town I think but it will be nice seeing some shots on a wall.
Maybe speak to some local galleries? I'm not sure what they are like your way but a lot of small galleries where I live are anti photo which is a shame.

f**king hell Tony art exhibition, very very good. I wonder if the people standing right next to you knew who you were lol? How long have you been into photography then?

Should have credited the photo, its not mine, was taken from the exhibitions twitter. Did take a couple when i was picking up the pictures tonight.
Its not a big exhibition, anyone can join. The next isn't until May next year, its a good experience hence wanting to do more. I done it last October with them and sold one, not so lucky this year even if i personally think I've come a long way since then. Ill let you know about it next year as you may be interested in joining.
Been doing if for some years now Mark but I've tried stepping it up the last few months. Getting out more, the website etc.... Im gonna look for some competitions to enter too and i have a few for sale in a local coffee shop, hopefully something will come of that.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
You have any local camera clubs? I joined and soon got into the competition side of things there but its not very active (a lot of old people) so I look forward to the inter club comps. I need to get some Salon's entered though soon.

Good work Tony. I'm sure @Brazo had some shots in an exhibition last year.
I have had a few shots in a collective with my camera club but I want to get my own sorted this year. It'll only be in a cafe in town I think but it will be nice seeing some shots on a wall.
Maybe speak to some local galleries? I'm not sure what they are like your way but a lot of small galleries where I live are anti photo which is a shame.
Cheers Aaron.
Keep saying ill join a camera club but doing shift work means i really wouldn't attend much.
Thats the problem with living inside the M25, its so populated with so much competition for everything. So finding a place to show them is a real challenge.
Maybe we could look into a cliosport exhibition ;-)
Thinking about heading up your way sometime in the near future, would be good if your about.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Well I work 10-10. I'm usually pretty busy over weekends but if you are ever up this way then give me a shout and I'll try to catch you. I've been trying to get out to Liverpool with @Geddes but shifts just aren't lining up at the moment.

Off out in a minute star chasing again. I hope the skies stay clear!
Took this yesterday, handheld with the GoPro leaving Venice and landing in Manchester.

I think the music is a tad louder than it should be.

Id be looking at in the week.
Send me a PM giving me a rough idea when your off and maybe we can sort something.

Never used a GoPro, my mate at work loves his, swears by it. That looks pretty cool. Not sure where looks more grim, Venice or Manchester!!!

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Should have credited the photo, its not mine, was taken from the exhibitions twitter. Did take a couple when i was picking up the pictures tonight.
Its not a big exhibition, anyone can join. The next isn't until May next year, its a good experience hence wanting to do more. I done it last October with them and sold one, not so lucky this year even if i personally think I've come a long way since then. Ill let you know about it next year as you may be interested in joining.
Been doing if for some years now Mark but I've tried stepping it up the last few months. Getting out more, the website etc.... Im gonna look for some competitions to enter too and i have a few for sale in a local coffee shop, hopefully something will come of that.

I honestly laughed when you said if i'd be interested to join a exhibition, a few people told me to enter competitions. Me thinking about doing them i don't think i'm ready but people say i am, Hmmm. Put that aside yeah if you can let me know the info i will look into it and may be 1 year from now who knows how far we've come on. In all serous now some of you lot show far better pics than some of the people in my photography course. And some other people do have Royal Photographic Society awards and such forth, one day i'd like to have letters after my name lol.
@Aaron.. I'm really struggling on the editing on photoshop like shadows and lighting, i tend to set each one at the same amount on each photo and really struggle on b&w every time i conver it to jpeg it turn out a little darker than just before i converted it if you follow what i mean.

Yeah i'm off to Liverpool for 2 days very end of this month on my tod to do some architecture and urban shots and landscape shots i think this is my strong point in photography, do you lot think so?

Really like for us to meet up for a couple of days , photo's, sherberts and chit chat

Last edited:

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
In the Fields 3.jpg

Had a quick pop out at the back fields round here. Need some pics for the class's homework on Depth of Field. Saw some nice cloud formations but struggled on them as they were going in the wrong direction and couldn't get the angle i wanted on them. I used -1 EV to get nice exposure on the clouds and not sure on the highlight/darkness and the leveling of the pic. Any help and ideas?

Last edited:

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
If any of you lot want to meet up with me, i'm in Liverpool 31st and 1st this Sunday and Monday coming