ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Piper x viper problem!

Right i had decided to fit the piper x and all was going well connected the clean air pipe from the throttle body to the piper x hsg sprayed the foam with oil and located the bell mouth intake in the fog light position as it fits perfect in the fog light surround (passenger side). However the first problem i encountered was that the cold air ducting supplied doesnt reach the viper hsg from the fog light position (MK1 172). Surely it should its the only suitable location for the intake? It nearly reaches almost touching just not enough to secure with jubilee clip. Next problem was that the method of securing the OEM filter hsg to the chasis is by way of elastic band with two hooks on. However because the viper is smaller diameter the elastic band is to slack to provide a suitable grip. The fitment instructions on the viper show a thin metal bracket attched to the engine which you attach the jubilee clip to and firmly fix the viper to it, this is missing however. I think the nice men a Gordon lamb removed it without telling me at the last service when they changed the air filter. Any tips or ideas would be a great help, thanks!

you can get longer ducting from most any motorsport factors. But the best is the wire supported 100mm brake ducting. Try DT as itll be easiest for you i would think.

As for the bracket, i never used one.

how did you stop it grating against the side rubbing all the carbon fibre away and who are DT? Ben dont you think the ducting should be long enough to reach the fog light space, the one supplied with the kit i mean?

You might not like them, but they do stock a sh*t load of stuff that others dont.

But if your buying parts from them, you really shouldnt be asking them for advice.

My filter never rubber or anything. Used the std link/elbow pipe.

Audi S3 225

You should really have and use the metal brackets that the viper should have came with, one to connect the samcro hosing to the engine, one to connect the samco hosing to the viper and 1 to connect the viper to the cold air feed.

As for the air feed not reaching the foglight im sure ive read of people on here with 172s that have put it to the foglight with no trouble, I put mine next to the foglight behind the grill. It fits perfect. have you got the original air feed or a different one?

Stick it thro the hole into the area where the battery is, and feed it down thro there behind the light, im sure it will reach.

Im glad you replied as you seem to have a ph1 172
as you said i fed it through the whole in the inner wing below the battery carrier. It doesnt reach its about 15mm to short it will touch the piper-x one edge but not enough to get a jubilee clip on. i have tried stretching it passing it in front of the old air feeds or behind them it doesnt matter its still fractionaly to short. Also the clip you refer to that bolts the viper to the engine is a bent pressed metal flat with the jubilee clip passing through and a nut and bolt to fasten to a slim bracket that reaches out to the right position trouble is that latter bracket is missing from my engine. The garage must have removed it during the service. Any help would be appreciated if you know how to rectify it or what the part No. is of the bracket.

Quote: Originally posted by Jonesy on 18 April 2004

You should really have and use the metal brackets that the viper should have came with, one to connect the samcro hosing to the engine, one to connect the samco hosing to the viper and 1 to connect the viper to the cold air feed.

As for the air feed not reaching the foglight im sure ive read of people on here with 172s that have put it to the foglight with no trouble, I put mine next to the foglight behind the grill. It fits perfect. have you got the original air feed or a different one?

Stick it thro the hole into the area where the battery is, and feed it down thro there behind the light, im sure it will reach. <SCRIPT language=javascript>