ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PlastiDip UK?

Megane 275 trophy006
My alloys are now back to silver as they are no longer on my Clio. Got a set off a 200 on it now.
I'm thinking about spraying the old alloys White before they go in for refurbishment to see what that look like as I'm going to run my winter tyres, when they get here, on the curbed alloys (the ones that were sprayed)
Blue and White will look nice and if they do I'll get them refurbed in White.

They lasted well. Must have done 1.5 to 2k on them. Tricky bugger to peel off all in 1 go though.
Also if you spray them so the diamonds are silver but the inside were black then a wooden cocktail stick is handy to get the inside bit out.

535d / t5 caravelle
In the process of doing a set of valver steelies for the track car. Going from dark grey to white, taken half a can to do one wheel so far and looking good.

any pics? althouth i thought steelies where a big no for track use?

535d / t5 caravelle
i thought about it myself for track use, mentioned it on here and most people in the know where against the idea, to heavy for one, poor brake cooling, think weight was the main issue, will try and find a relevant thread, a few here mate, enough to put me off, theres plenty more similar threads to

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?400647-Anyone-run-steelies-on-track-days

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?382493-Steelies-for-the-track

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...track-day-wheels&highlight=steelies+for+track

Last edited:

terryc101

ClioSport Club Member
I know there heavy but didnt realise that about the heat, sure they will be ok for now. The car was previously used competitively with no problems im aware of. Anyway.. few pics of the first wheel i did (ignore the awful masking), will clean the tires and stuff when there all back on.

Before
SDC10777.jpg

After
SDC10778.jpg

SDC10800.jpg

SDC10801.jpg

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not a big fan of it really, my car looks great from a distance but close up the wheels don't look right at all.

Think I'll be doing them again. (without plasti dip)

BG182FF
lovely red that spud!! thanks mate, been waiting for someone to try the red. fancy sending me some close up pics and high res if u have any mate?

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
LOL will do :)

I went to the fastcar cruise last night in manchester and it was dark so people couldn't see them properly ;)

535d / t5 caravelle
I know there heavy but didnt realise that about the heat, sure they will be ok for now. The car was previously used competitively with no problems im aware of. Anyway.. few pics of the first wheel i did (ignore the awful masking), will clean the tires and stuff when there all back on.

Before
SDC10777.jpg

After
SDC10778.jpg

SDC10800.jpg

SDC10801.jpg

quite like the steelies in grey tbh, put silver hammerite on mine just to freshen them up, might give them a change for next year

Clio 182
I really like that it's a nice shade! How easy was it to use on your trim wouldn't mind doing that to mine tbh! Did ya have to remove the trim first or just mask it off?

Is de blue spray te same colour as the Racing Blue RS?

Some already used the transparant spray for bonnet?
Like an invisible bra?

And maybe i wanna make 2 white Goridini stripes on bonnet and roof.
When i don't like them, i simply pull it off! :)

Last edited:

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
Here's a couple of mine.

As I mentioned the other day I'm not 100% happy with them, you can see on the first picture that it's started to peel of already.

IMG_0804.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

Clio 172 RS2
Some already used the transparant spray for bonnet?
Like an invisible bra?

You do realize PlastiDip is matte/flat... not a high-gloss laquer or high quality 'helicopter tape' as to shinyness?

You will be better off with some low-tack white vinyl for those 'Godnothese' stripes... cut at a local signmaker.

BG182FF
Here's a couple of mine.

As I mentioned the other day I'm not 100% happy with them, you can see on the first picture that it's started to peel of already.

IMG_0804.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

hi mate, i really like the look of that mate! and the finish by the pictures seem to be real good. I think for the money and temporary, they look great :) and the ease of use. How long you had it on for? and how come its peeling? when washing them?! thanks mate

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
I like the look of the car and that, just not 100% impressed with the finish.

I did them on saturday mate, and those pictures were taken on sunday.

Megane 275 trophy006
Hmm my wheels were sprayed and I had no peeling issue in the month+ they were in use on the car.

The finish is Matt but I have lacquered over the top for my centre caps. I can't say in regards to peel-ability now but as I have 2 sets its neither here nor there for me.

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 430D & T5
how do you clean them nickw99? and how often mate?

Only cleaned them once so far simply because I'm lazy lol. I used soapy/shampoo water and a non abrasive sponge, didn't want to risk using products. Takes a bit of effort but does clean up pretty well to be honest

330ci, 850R, eunos
Tbh, unless you really want to be able to remove this stuff, I don't see the benefit over just using normal paint. I know people are saying it's more forgiving to paint with, but it's the same process.

At least decent paint will be durable. If you decide to use rattle cans, then that will probably work out cheaper than the plastidip as well.

I liked the idea 10 mins ago, but now I think I'll stick with paint. Shame it's cold!

Paint takes more time, more preparation, and more money (primer, paint, lacquer, wet and dry) plus if you want to sell you don't have to repaint stuff.

330ci, 850R, eunos
Well these are what £16.50 delivered per can? That's twice the cost of aerosol paint.

Fair enough you may factor in priming, but unless the wheels are damaged (and even then you can get away with spot priming) then a scuff up with a scoth pad will be fine for basecoat. Plus most of the examples I have seen above are solid colours, so you could just buy direct gloss paint, no need for lacquer then.

I thought about it as it did seem easier to just clean the wheel and paint (plastidip), but I'm not worried about removing it again (differing ideas on whether it is actually that easy to remove anyway), and would want it to be durable, so using the plastidip route, from what I've read, you'd need the plastidip primer, paint and lacquer. Same process other than keying up, and more expensive.

F56 MINI Cooper S
i think its worth it, when i was selling my old clio they offered me $300 less just because the wheels had been sprayed black, if i'd have known about this id have done a plastidip temp job in silver, they wouldnt be none the wiser - job done.

BG182FF
Well these are what £16.50 delivered per can? That's twice the cost of aerosol paint.

Fair enough you may factor in priming, but unless the wheels are damaged (and even then you can get away with spot priming) then a scuff up with a scoth pad will be fine for basecoat. Plus most of the examples I have seen above are solid colours, so you could just buy direct gloss paint, no need for lacquer then.

I thought about it as it did seem easier to just clean the wheel and paint (plastidip), but I'm not worried about removing it again (differing ideas on whether it is actually that easy to remove anyway), and would want it to be durable, so using the plastidip route, from what I've read, you'd need the plastidip primer, paint and lacquer. Same process other than keying up, and more expensive.

mate, the cans are only £9 per can!

330ci, 850R, eunos
I thought someone on this thread said they were £9 + vat + delivery?

Just checked, sorry, £15.60 for one can. Or £49.20 for 4 cans. From what I've read, if you want to be able to remove it easilly you need to give more coats to get a thicker film.

As I say, horses for courses, but for me, I've never painted anything that I didn't want to stay that colour, so I'll stick with paint. I'd like to try some out of curiosity mind!