ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Poor Mans iPhone

May be out in the near future. In order to compete with android and other symbian based phones.

Reportedly fully touch screen, sans buttons and thinner.

Last edited:

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
First rumour I have heard regarding a small iphone, maybe they will call it an iphone nano ;)

No. If anything it will be a re-cased 3GS. Slower processor. Crap camera. No retina display. Small storage.

Same size. Still with buttons. But cheap.

But I doubt it will ever come. Apple have never cared about catering for the poor.

This is old news anyway.

Apple don't care about market share, they care about profit and the product.

The iPhone is the best selling phone in the world. They only 'lose out' to others because they sell so many variations, on different networks etc. Yet there is still more iOS activations a day than there is Android.

They could make a cheap iMac and gain a bigger control but they never will.

Apple keep product prices high because it gives them more profit. The iPod won as the best product and dominates because of how it is. That has never been cheap. You can buy one now for £90 or whatever the nano is, but you can go and buy a MP3 player for £10 from Argos. Same with the iPad, it's the leader because of the product.

If this story does come to fruition, it will be a pikey spec but I think it's unlikely.

People are happy to pay for the iPhone. If BillyBob wants an iPhone then he pays the price for one. But if there was a cheap version, he might buy that. So would many other people. So Apple might gain from people that would have bought a cheap alternative, but they'll lose out from people who would have bought the top model.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Apple tried to do budget with the mini, but even then they couldn't resist speccing it up and boosting the price.

I remember when the mac mini was still relatively new, in panther days in fact, pc world sold a mini, with a 17" TFT monitor, official apple keyboard and mouse for sub £400!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Revels it's not about the poor. It's about increasing their market stake, or not loosing it to the android/htc, cheaper priced competitors.

Apple make more profit (51%) in the mobile phone industry than all the other mobile phone manufacturers combined. They targetted 10% of the market share in phones shipped as being a target, they're at 4%....which makes the 51% profit even more impressive. People will pay for a premium product.

They'll never compete with android in terms of units shipped, because of the reasons revels pointed out.

I could see a cheaper iPhone being of value for them if they wanted to hammer home the final nails in the coffin of RIM.

If your logic is true, they won't lose out. People who would have bought the move expensive still will, they will only gain with people who will get the cheaper one. Although, they may not need to, it's still beneficial to them.

But not always.

My Mum has an iPhone. She bought the 16GB one because that's the cheapest. She doesn't deem it essential to have the fastest one etc. So she would have bought a cheaper one if the alternative was there.

I'll always buy the best one but I'm a g33k. There's far more people like my Mum than there are geeks like me.

Were there big factors of influence from you into her decision?

Apple may make big profit, but if they lose too much of market share, they will become secondary to larger companies with greater profits to spend on R&D.

Doing this is just a solid method of securing market presence. It's completely beneficial to them.

Great profits? You do realise you're talking about Apple here? There is no larger companies with more to spend.

Like sn00p said, Apple make 51% profit, which is more than everyone else combined, with 4% of the market. 4 years ago they didn't make any phones. Now they're the most successful with absolutely zero need to 'secure market presence'

No big factors from me. I let her use my original iPhone when I upgraded, she liked the software and bought one.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
If your logic is true, they won't lose out. People who would have bought the move expensive still will, they will only gain with people who will get the cheaper one. Although, they may not need to, it's still beneficial to them.

Simply not true. There's a large number of people that just want an iPhone. They don't utilise most of it's features, they're of no interest to them. But they will pay for an iPhone because they want one. Offer them a cheaper alternative and they'll go for it.

Clio RS 182

The iPhone is the best selling phone in the world. They only 'lose out' to others because they sell so many variations, on different networks etc. Yet there is still more iOS activations a day than there is Android.

Apple keep product prices high because it gives them more profit. The iPod won as the best product and dominates because of how it is. That has never been cheap. You can buy one now for £90 or whatever the nano is, but you can go and buy a MP3 player for £10 from Argos. Same with the iPad, it's the leader because of the product.

If this story does come to fruition, it will be a pikey spec but I think it's unlikely.

People are happy to pay for the iPhone. If BillyBob wants an iPhone then he pays the price for one. But if there was a cheap version, he might buy that. So would many other people. So Apple might gain from people that would have bought a cheap alternative, but they'll lose out from people who would have bought the top model.

To sum up what revels is trying to say...

Apple is like Ferrari and Lamborghini!

I don't think skinny understands the differing goals of companies in different market sectors. Apple has never been a pile em high sell em cheap brand. In my eyes diluting the brand and it's image would be a bad move for Apple aside from it being totally unnecessary.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Biggest thing in the iPhone's favour, is that it's cool. Even people that don't care about the tech, want one. Making cheap versions would (imo) damage that.

Clio 182 cup'd
He said iOS activations, not iPhone activations.

So thats;

Apple TV (2)
iPod Touch
iPhone
iPad

LOL Revels never mentioned any of those. He was talking about iPhones and the need (or lack of need) to produce a cheaper version. I think those sales figures speak for themselves.

Polo + Micra

so what you are saying there is that apple products are over priced?

If they were overpriced they wouldn't sell. Retaining a decent profit margin does not = overpriced. Just because you feel it's not VFM is an entirely different suggestion. Clearly for many they are happy to buy at current prices, strong demand and sales illustrate that the product is not "overpriced"

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Poor people are showing up in this thread I think.

Truth be told they can charge whatever they want and people will still buy it, look at the macbook! Can you imagine what kind of desktop/laptop you could buy for the same price?

Do they care? Not one bit.

Dink you're missing my point, if something is overpriced it does not sell as the Market deems it more expensive than they are prepared to pay. Apple would not shift the number of units of it's products if people felt they were overpriced.

There are plenty of items you buy every day which have probably got similar profit margins yet don't bat an eyelid over or even know these percentage margins are being made.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
the higher the profit the company makes reduces VFM no matter what company it is.

Value is completely subjective. And not based purely on the physical object. The image, design, and service accompanying the product all factor.

Clio 182 cup'd
You quoted him too?

So we are talking about phones (iPhones to be precise), Revels talks about "ios activations" in the same sentence as a phone, which to me suggests we are still talking about phones. Then when sales figures are quoted, which show Android and Symbian phones are both thrashing Apple phones in terms of sales, then all of a sudden, its not about phones, its about total activations of ipads, apple tv's, iBikes, iPods, iMums, you name it!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
He wasn't he was talking about Apple. He also spoke about iPods.

Clio 182 cup'd
He wasn't he was talking about Apple. He also spoke about iPods.

Not in that part of his post.

"The iPhone is the best selling phone in the world. They only 'lose out' to others because they sell so many variations, on different networks etc. Yet there is still more iOS activations a day than there is Android. "

If you don't believe me.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
So we are talking about phones (iPhones to be precise), Revels talks about "ios activations" in the same sentence as a phone, which to me suggests we are still talking about phones. Then when sales figures are quoted, which show Android and Symbian phones are both thrashing Apple phones in terms of sales, then all of a sudden, its not about phones, its about total activations of ipads, apple tv's, iBikes, iPods, iMums, you name it!

You've jumped to the wrong conclusion. No one else's fault!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Not in that part of his post.

"The iPhone is the best selling phone in the world. They only 'lose out' to others because they sell so many variations, on different networks etc. Yet there is still more iOS activations a day than there is Android. "

If you don't believe me.
He just admitted they made more sales than the iPhone.

Then he mention iOS. You took it way out of context.