ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Poor Mans iPhone

Clio 182 cup'd
lol ok I'm fighting a losing battle, I just thought I would point out some real facts about how the smartphone market is doing.

Polo + Micra
lol people being poor because they dont buy into the apple "world"

apple service from what i've seen on here is not all it's cracked up to be (replacing phones rather than fixing) and the "genius" bar is just a load of apple geeks swapping your phone for a refurb one and making you think you got a good deal

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
lol people being poor because they dont buy into the apple "world"

apple service from what i've seen on here is not all it's cracked up to be (replacing phones rather than fixing) and the "genius" bar is just a load of apple geeks swapping your phone for a refurb one and making you think you got a good deal
iirc that's what poor people say. ;)

Citroen DS3 White
I think the thread started because of the WSJ article about a smaller iPhone. I think it will finally come true this year. If the iPhone 5 (for lack of a better name) goes towards the larger 4" screen then I can see people thinking it's too big. Some people want a bigger screen, some people want a handy small phone. It seems that every other retailer accommodates this, except Apple. As for it being cheaper, we'll see. Cheapo (£612) MacMini anyone?!

Edit: WSJ Link

Turbos.
Just to clarify things, Apple has a bigger turnover than Google (Android), but Google makes considerably more profit (especially relative to turnover), something like $8bn more. When 2011's results are posted, Google will have closed the gap.

Apple use premium pricing models because it is perceived as a premium product. They are also pioneers, which doesn't harm the 'cool factor'. I would agree with the others that a cheapo version would devalue the brand. You see it with clothing brands regularly, Burberry being the all time classic, which took years to reverse! Shareholders will always be pushing to make more money though, so its a hard thing to balance...

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Also Google don't make anything. They are a service provider. So the operating costs are lower, no stores, no stock, no manufacturing costs.