ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Poorly 172 Cup - nursed back to life! Before and after.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
After my massive episode with my faulty MAP sensor ruining the day when I bought the wheels, bootlid, steering wheel and painted my upper inlet I've got some pics up of my car before and after. Pretty much got it as I want it now - I know it's VERY 'sheep' but it's a common combo cos it's the cleanest combo I think.
Anyway, I bought the car in Feb for relatively cheap off ebay from a guy who didn't look after it at all really - or didn't give it as much attention as we all know RS's can need! Could've easily been broken up like so many here but I decided to rejuvenate it and it also allowed me to spread the cost of a tidy Cup over a few months rather than go out and buy a £2k+ one! Plus the seats sold it a bit.

Needed:
Dephaser doing DESPERATELY.
Front arch liner
Bonnet and tailgate (both were really dinted along them)
Crack in front bumper/splitter (bodged for now)
exhaust was wrong fitment and completely bodged on - very loose.
Carpets and seats filthy and boot full of junk/old audio wires, crossover boxes
Steering wheel was a mess - thumbgrips missing and bubbling all over/peeling.
Needed a good service (Bosch super 4's fitted & oil was a bit black!)
Damn good clean and polish needed!
Turinis DESPERATELY needed refurbing (were all straight, just lacquer peeling and kerbed all round).
Strut brace fitted was rusty and tatty.

Good things were:
It was relatively cheap!
69k on the clock and all HPI clear etc.
New 12 mth MOT which involved the rear brake (compensator?) being replaced from Renault for MOT
New discs and pads all round
New drop links and front suspension arms.
New (budget) tyres on the front
Electric Recaro trendline seats up front.
5 months tax
Rare Iceberg Cup

So first things I did were to replace the bonnet (off Mickstoke) and get it into Birchdown for a dephaser and belts change (and quick once over).

Then next things were to give it an oil change and clean it - 5w 40 oil and new filter and lots of autoglym.
Good clean and polish and shampoo the interior and new floor mats.

Kenwood mp3/USB/Ipod/Bluetooth head unit bargain £40 off eBay.

New parcel shelf - old one had nice 6x9 cut outs.

New dogbone powerflex mount from NW Performance, while on the ramps he pointed out my exhaust was totally BODGED so I went on here and got a cat back Scorpion exhaust off Budgie and got it fitted the next weekend - at first it was poking from underneath the back bumper which I didn't like.

So following week I got a 182 exhaust surround and cut into the bumper and lifted the exhaust into the recess (as it was also annoyingly knocking on the rear beam!)

Got some Eibach sportline springs off here too and got these fitted easily enough, but one of the suspension top mounts shattered so got another one off Kev 3dr on here (hero) and some top mount strut washers off cotball to get rid of the annoying rubbing.

Next came the bits last week - Iceberg tailgate, steering wheel with complete thumb grips, arch liner, anthracite turinis (4 Yoko S Drives but 2 were shot so I got 2 new ones on).
These all went on, then went to drive it out of my mates unit and it was running rough as a dog!!!!
Seperate thread about this but we changed coil pack, plugs (new NGK's old ones were Bosch super 4's), tried lambdas, tried 2 different diagnostics machines and tried injectors. Nothing. Ended up being a £17.50 MAP sensor!
While all this was off I sanded down and painted the strut brace, upper inlet, top engine mount, bolts, hoist eye and fuel rail guard (stove paint for the black parts). Not the best finish but not bad for an accountant!

So only things left to do now are fix the front crack in splitter (or get a skoda one) and the crack in the bumper.

Here's some before and after shots.

Before:

Attachments

• IMAG0004.jpg
    IMAG0004.jpg
    503.7 KB · Views: 251
  • IMAG0002.jpg
    IMAG0002.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 283
  • IMAG0045-1.jpg
    IMAG0045-1.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 276

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
AFTER:

Attachments

• IMAG0103.jpg
    IMAG0103.jpg
    523.8 KB · Views: 248
  • IMAG0110.jpg
    IMAG0110.jpg
    526.2 KB · Views: 233
  • IMAG0116.jpg
    IMAG0116.jpg
    541.1 KB · Views: 304
  • IMAG0128.jpg
    IMAG0128.jpg
    528.5 KB · Views: 254

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Oh and also, just on the off chance, I took my car to Renault on my day off to ask if it had ever had the bonnet catch replaced, as I'd heard on here they did a recall on these cars. They hadn't so I got a nice tidy bonnet catch replaced for free from Renault. Nice.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I love that. Recaros are awesome.

Spanks! If I'm 100% honest mate, I'm not a huge fan of the trendlines, they look nice and the electric lumbar and tilt are nice, but they don't hug you as much as they should I think. Would prefer some buckets but then you can't adjust the seats as much, but they're so much nicer to look at/sit on than standard cup seats. Need a good clean still really as my 'ASDA upholstery shampoo' didn't clean them enough - valet coming up soon.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Looks great.

Cheers dude, Iceberg Cup nuff respec' innit. Yours really makes me want coilovers but I don't think my 32 year old back can handle them! Or the grief I'd get from my lass.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Cheers dude, Iceberg Cup nuff respec' innit. Yours really makes me want coilovers but I don't think my 32 year old back can handle them! Or the grief I'd get from my lass.

Stop being soft, I'm 32 in July and get by on coil-overs with the Clio as my daily drive.

As for the Mrs tell her to Shhhh and try not to get distracted by bouncing boobs in the car next to you ;)

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Stop being soft, I'm 32 in July and get by on coil-overs with the Clio as my daily drive.

As for the Mrs tell her to Shhhh and try not to get distracted by bouncing boobs in the car next to you ;)

Good pt, I'll have a word with myself. I don't use the car to commute so I have no excuse really! Had some on my Ibiza GTi once and it was a disgrace! Probs ebay cheapos though. What are the Racelands like? Are they ok or do they make Eibachs feel like you're driving a Bentley?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Get the compensator removed no?

No idea, it's got a new one and he gave me the receipt from Renault (not cheap) plus a massive print out to take to the garage to explain the 'poor effort' on the rear brakes for MOT time. Not a clue. Not a prob til MOT time. Heard it mentioned before but not entirely sure what it's all about.

HBT 172 Cup
You can't remove the compensator, it restricts fluid pressure to the rear callipers, with it removed the rear brakes would lock up all the time. Either remove and replace with a manual bias valve.... or just leave it as it is ;)

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
You can't remove the compensator, it restricts fluid pressure to the rear callipers, with it removed the rear brakes would lock up all the time. Either remove and replace with a manual bias valve.... or just leave it as it is ;)

Way over my head! It works and it passed the MOT. Job's a good'un.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Is it worth replacing the gearbox oil at all? (71k now). Heard it doesn't ever need changing but know some people do still do it.

Audi A5
Great car bud and good work We need more people like you these days to look after the clio's lol.

As for gearbox oil I would say its not the most important job but for what its worth you may as well get it done.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Cheers dude. Yeah a lot seem to be getting written off/chavved or scrapped these days. Bit of a bummer. Got some Meguiars tyre shine gell and rear pads done today (no big deal I know but was making use of the 25% discount at Euro Car Parts). While my mate was doing the pads I got the bullets sprayed up in matt black with the stove paint I used for the inlets. Not so hot close up (I've got 0 patience for spraying stuff), but think it looks really good with the wheels. I wouldn't usually stick a photo up of something so minimal but I was really surprised at how much better they look than the std silvers (with these wheels anyway).

Attachments

• IMAG0148.jpg
    IMAG0148.jpg
    526.9 KB · Views: 137

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
New seats today - sold the Recaros to fund tax, new seats, RS tuner and new rear shocks. RST in the post and shocks to be ordered ASAP.

Top mount bearing is squeaking too - if you buy new shocks do they come with the complete new top mounts??

Oh also gave it a wash, popped in silvatec bulbs all round, painted the front diamond matt black and fitted some aero flat wipers. Silvatec bulbs don't half tidy up the front!

Attachments

• COBRA Seats.jpg
    COBRA Seats.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 121

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Already done it bud! Changed them to NGK's when I had that misfire trauma you helped me with that ended up being a MAP sensor!

Could you shed any light on the top mounts issue? Do I get them included if I buy new front shocks?

53 Clio's & counting
Ah good lad!

No mate, new shocks won't come with new top mounts, but on a plus they are cheap to buy, and id always buy genuine as the non gen ones iv tried have been crap

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
How much roughly mate? (Top mounts) I saw on eBay they're about £80?! Seems a bit much for a bearing and some rubber caps!

53 Clio's & counting
Speak to Tom from wests mate, im sure he could do you decent discount - its been 2 years or so since i last bought some, but i think they were about 30 quid a side

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Sound - cheers Russ, as always a wealth of knowledge!

CaptainFail - There's a good place in Tarleton that will refurb your turinis if you have a knackered set - Rhino alloys they're called.

BG PH1 Megane 225
Sound - cheers Russ, as always a wealth of knowledge!

CaptainFail - There's a good place in Tarleton that will refurb your turinis if you have a knackered set - Rhino alloys they're called.

I'll keep them in mind, now to find some suitable turinis! :eek:

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Indeed, cheers dude. Although I can't slate people who break up these cars (Ie: a certain member in Stoke!) because if it wasn't for donor cars I'd have been stuffed.
Bloody CS! I can't stop tinkering with it! After a ph1 bench now to match the dark blue Cobras!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
RS Tuner 98 RON map done. Idles a little higher and doesn't seem to 'back off' as much when you let off the accelerator and does seem a little smoother and sharper revving up. Nothing major though. Or is it all psychological!? Does this say it's been done?

7204922120_5504e82787_b.jpg

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
That's the one!

Next things to do this weekend though are to refit the exhaust as it's knocking on the beam again! New sump guard/undertray, rear Cup shocks, adjust engine mount and remove or unplug the carbon cannister as I think it's making the annoying ticking noise.