ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Porter cable

Monaco 172 (5/468)
After seeing some of the stuff you guys have done using one of these Im after buying one myself.

Ive searched Autopia webby and its directed me to 2 locations to buy one
http://wolfgangcarcare.com/porter-cable-7424.html

and

http://www.autopia.org/shopping/merchant/Pinnacle/

Im a newbie on this stuff and have never bought something from america, could someone post a link to the best place i can buy a full detailing kit which of course includes a porter cable, selants and polish etc...
would it be finacially better to buy a full package or to buy it all as individual from a british based supplier minus the porter cable as I'm aware these only come from america.

Thanks Johnny

106 GTi
Worth waiting and getting UK machine with warrenty etc - no point getting US machines and cutting plugs off using transformers anymore IMO.

Monaco 172 (5/468)
got one on pre-order with Matt

Thanks guys Ill post the result after completing some work on my Mrs car on not my loved clio :)

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Just for your confidence - I got a G220 having not even seen a machine polisher in real life, and got great results first time :) My advice would be to wash your car, then clay it, then if you want to remove swirls, use the polishing pad and the #83 polish - then take your time and the results will come :) I'd also recommend staying very much away from the cutting pad, on other peoples advice, that one is for the pros.

The main advice there been just take your time. Work a small area, and I was advised to try and travel (when removing swirls on like speed 5) at about 1 inch per second. This seems to work with a few passes over. I'm sure different people have different ways, but as a newb to the whole thing this advice worked brilliantly for me :)

Dan

106 GTi
If you stay away from the cutting pad on a PC type machine you won't correct anything!

Shed.
If you stay away from the cutting pad on a PC type machine you won't correct anything!

Exactly. I went round the entire car with a cutting pad, some areas more than once.

I take it meguirs are still not pulling their arses together then ?

Mito Sportiva 135
Looking at my bonnet in the sun yesterday and realised I need to give it a good seeing too, sadly my efforts of cleaning it at the Iraqi express place in Leeds weren't as good as I hoped :( Goodbye clearcoat...

Looking at my bonnet in the sun yesterday and realised I need to give it a good seeing too, sadly my efforts of cleaning it at the Iraqi express place in Leeds weren't as good as I hoped :( Goodbye clearcoat...

I'm sure its not THAT bad lol!!

I have an Accord to do soon, whats Honda paint like? Any reccomendations on pad and polish choice? Its 7-8 years old and is quite badly swirled!

As soft as renault paint? I'm gunna probably stick to menz intensive then SFX1 or 2 pad? Am i going to need to follow up with a final polish or just to SRP then a wax/sealent?

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member

<shrug> I can't remember where we read that now, but the polishing pad with the #83 got rid of all the swirls - although it's possible we spent a lot more time doing it than we had to ;)

Dan

106 GTi
As soft as renault paint? I'm gunna probably stick to menz intensive then SFX1 or 2 pad? Am i going to need to follow up with a final polish or just to SRP then a wax/sealent?

You may get away with IP on a Polishing pad.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Oh I should maybe point out, I got these results on a Civic Type R, so soft Honda paint, and also on a N plate Red Fiesta, and an 03 Seat Arosa - but that was very light swirling. Also I did some light correcting on my Vee, but that was very minimal, ditto my mates Astra Coupe.

Dan