ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Possible Clio dci project

Clio Sport 172
Hi,
After my recent loss of my 172 ive been doing some searching around of what I can get. My insurance was quite high for my previous car and looking for some alternatives-I have around £5000 to spend and wanted to share some idea's.

Idea 1
Buy a 03 or 04 reg 5 door 1.5 dci (100bhp version) from auction or something, add NOS, Upgrade the breaking system, alloys & exhaust system (K-tec Stealth came to mind), as the ecomony is not looking too good- I want something for the time being that would be respectable for work,economical but the same time has some decent poke & handling when occasionally needed.

Idea 2
Copy what someone had done on Youtube and bought a 172 and replaced the engine with a 1.7 diesel non turbo etc.

As I say its just idea's & any advice appreciated!
Yep I am missing my 172 but just looking at alternatives :)
Regards

Costa172

320d
They don't do ktec stealths for dci's. I've never heard of anybody putting nos on a dci.

If you went down the dci route then go dci 80/100, remap, coilovers, 16's, big break kit.

Why would anybody spend money putting a 1.7d in a 172, the cost involved it would be easier to just run the 172.

Clio Sport 172
Thanks for the input!:) Just some ideas knocking around if I do go down the dci route I post here!

Never above 25mpg
For option 2 you might aswell get a dci and stick a 172 bodykit on tbh. Would be alot cheaper.

MX5 MK2.5 SVT 1.8 Sport
If you swapped the engine over insurance will muller you for that sort of modification. Plus if you did it id slap you :rasp: . If you want something cheap to run that you can fiddle with buy a 1.4 or 1.6 16v. There cheap to buy, in good nick do 50 mpg (on scale cheaper than diesel with the price per litre) and im sure people will say the diesel will be faster but it'll be heavier affecting braking, handling etc. You can get a 1.6 to 120bhp easy. Its after that it gets slightly expencive. 1.4 and 1.6 are under rated on this site imo.
Plus an engine swop will be to much work to say you only end up with a 1.7 diesel. The 80 is a good diesel anyway. Hope that helps mate.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
1) this isn't a project meerly speculation - therefore wrong section.

2) remapping the dci clios is asking for trouble

3) why add nos to a diesel? just buy a 2.0TDI golf (why you may aswell have done by the time u have faffed about ""Tuning"" a 1.5 .

IMO.

A well built VW
better to get a 65 or 80 better gearboxes - remap and fmic plus panel filter someone on here is running 120bhp with those mods iirc its a similar route i will be taking once i have some spare cash

h&r coillies and lightwweight wheels is all it needs

Shed.
Dci 100 Dynamique but a 3 door in black.

Engine:

New intercooler (front mounted), uprated turbo, remap, uprated air intake (filter or an IK) and an uprated exhaust (a full one including the exhaust maifold if one exists if not just a cat back).

Exterior:

Coilovers or perhaps just some 50mm springs or dampers if your not too bothered. Rest is up to you.

MX5 MK2.5 SVT 1.8 Sport
1) this isn't a project meerly speculation - therefore wrong section.

2) remapping the dci clios is asking for trouble

3) why add nos to a diesel? just buy a 2.0TDI golf (why you may aswell have done by the time u have faffed about ""Tuning"" a 1.5 .

IMO.
Correct, best to go German with diesels but id personally get a mk2 phase 1 if you want another RS on a budget

Shed.
Yer then atleast youre a bit further up the ladder when it comes to tuning it again. Better starting point.

But if its a clio you want then go for it, at the end of the day if the car makes you smile then thats what matters, you shouldnt care if its 0-60 time is 1 second slower than something else.....

Dci 100 Dynamique but a 3 door in black.

Engine:

New intercooler (front mounted), uprated turbo, remap, uprated air intake (filter or an IK) and an uprated exhaust (a full one including the exhaust maifold if one exists if not just a cat back).

Exterior:

Coilovers or perhaps just some 50mm springs or dampers if your not too bothered. Rest is up to you.

sounds resonable enough to me there strong engines, some people are tuning Ford 1.4 tdci to a high level these days and having no bother

my dci 80 is fair quick got loads of torque and becouse of the heavy engines they'v got a real thick antirole bar so steering responce is mint :)

MX5 MK2.5 SVT 1.8 Sport
Put that anti roll bar in a 1.4 and you'v got a good car!
A little 1.4 humour there dont fight me :rasp:

185lb/ft dCi
Don't bother with a 100 just get an 80, easily mappable (the dci is strong engine)

I went to RStuning today with my dci65 with the dci100 intercooler which is already front mounted michael^ it made 100hp with 185lb/ft torque, I will get graphs up tomorrow to show. Goes like a rocket now!

MX5 MK2.5 SVT 1.8 Sport
Don't bother with a 100 just get an 80, easily mappable (the dci is strong engine)

I went to RStuning today with my dci65 with the dci100 intercooler which is already front mounted michael^ it made 100hp with 185lb/ft torque, I will get graphs up tomorrow to show. Goes like a rocket now!
Please do! Iv been meaning to get graphs for a diesel as im off soon to have the 1.4 on the road to see what she has compared to 1.6 and diesel clios. You have any other modifications to the engine mate?

Shed.

not bad. Sorry i wasnt aware, the term i was looking was - sticking out of the front bumper. I take it that the dci 100 gets it's extra power from a different intercooler and possibly a different ecu map ?? Same engine block, clinder head and cam head right ?

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
they use propane injection on diesels was looking into it at one point for mine . you could also look at water injection to lower charge temps and get that little bit more outta it

185lb/ft dCi
yeah you can get some custom jobby intercooler, but then you may aswell uprate the turbo then it goes on forever! yeah differences are injectors, pump, turbo and map, gearbox isn't too clever though.

185lb/ft dCi
if a company made some good performance clutches for the dci, you could see some massive gains, that is the main thing thats stopping you. brilliant project for someone just depends how much money you have to pump into it. Vincent on here has a monster of a dci, think the clutch slips though

nice is that with just a remap and the intercooler i want my 80 sorted now!!

ValverInBits
This section is not for project speculation

The how fast do you want it to go? if you go for a golf there are so many variants that you can choose exactly what you want.

The only interesting thing you could try with clios would be:
a) Get a MK2 Phase1 clio and drop in the best DCi from a phase 2 with a remap
b) Drop the DCi into a MK1 (my personal favourite)

iirc neither of the above has been done. Better still get some standalone management and start fitting custom manifolds and bigger turbos to your DCI (not forgetting a custom clutch to take the grunt). Then your talking a real project, but at real cost.
good luck

185lb/ft dCi

nice is that with just a remap and the intercooler i want my 80 sorted now!!

yes mate, yours has an intercooler as standard anyway which is up for the job. the 80 injectors have 15% more flow in them and the turbo is up by .2 bar from the 65. you should be getting about 110hp from a remap and some amazing torque

Somebody needs to do what point8 said and get the transplants under go

Clio 172
it sounds like your trying to save money in a very expensive way. being economic is boring.

good luck to you though mate with whatever route you do down. Interestingly my mate has bought a 53 plate 206 van in white. he's lowered it on some tastey alloys and he is putting some GTi kit parts on. it looks really smart actually and the 1.4 diesel makes it fuel economic.

E92 M3
If you swapped the engine over insurance will muller you for that sort of modification. Plus if you did it id slap you :rasp: . If you want something cheap to run that you can fiddle with buy a 1.4 or 1.6 16v. There cheap to buy, in good nick do 50 mpg (on scale cheaper than diesel with the price per litre) and im sure people will say the diesel will be faster but it'll be heavier affecting braking, handling etc. You can get a 1.6 to 120bhp easy. Its after that it gets slightly expencive. 1.4 and 1.6 are under rated on this site imo.
Plus an engine swop will be to much work to say you only end up with a 1.7 diesel. The 80 is a good diesel anyway. Hope that helps mate.

1.4 and 1.6 dnt do any 50 mpg av got an 1.2 and only average 38 and i only thrash mine sumtyms

MX5 MK2.5 SVT 1.8 Sport
Half the people of this site know mine does 50+. 1.2 are based on an old engine... doesnt mean it does more mpg. Theres sports on here that do 45 so id re-learn how to drive pal if you can only get 38 ;)

Clio Sport 172
Wow-what a response:cool:
Very much appreciated & alot of excellent points have been made!
Once again thanks!!!
I'll post here when I get things going!
Costa172

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Half the people of this site know mine does 50+. 1.2 are based on an old engine... doesnt mean it does more mpg. Theres sports on here that do 45 so id re-learn how to drive pal if you can only get 38 ;)
my 1.2 does 50+ mpg on a run so yeh... 38 is abit ghey/wrong/driving like a JEB

MX5 MK2.5 SVT 1.8 Sport
my 1.2 does 50+ mpg on a run so yeh... 38 is abit ghey/wrong/driving like a JEB
Lmao bet he feels like a leg end now :nono:
As for the project buy a 1.6. The new Renault Sport Twingo uses the same block so its going to become very tunable.

320d

I've only got 38MPG on the clock since monday. Its not through driving hard or incorrectly, its trough spending 15minutes of a 30 minute each way commute stationary in traffic.

If you live out in the sticks with no traffic etc and lots of a-b roads then obviously late 40's is achieveable. On a motorway run i manage mid to late 40's.

MX5 MK2.5 SVT 1.8 Sport
Wierd... i know my 1.4 is probably the most tuned on the site but when it was standard it was doing 40 through preston city centre (not on a bad day) and 50-60 depending on temperatures on motorways. Dynamiques share the same problems, rubbish cats (mines relativly new) rubbish coil packs and most have been ragged in the past from cold. Mine is a very healthy one. I think the other guy means he cant get over 38 no matter what, why else would you say 50 is imposible. Theres no point in having a dynamique if its not fuel efficient.

Idea 1
Buy a 03 or 04 reg 5 door 1.5 dci (100bhp version) from auction or something, add NOS, Upgrade the breaking system, alloys & exhaust system (K-tec Stealth came to mind), as the ecomony is not looking too good- I want something for the time being that would be respectable for work,economical but the same time has some decent poke & handling when occasionally needed.

Idea 2
Copy what someone had done on Youtube and bought a 172 and replaced the engine with a 1.7 diesel non turbo etc.
Project
1) Brakes are fine no need to realy upgrade.

Nos is a bit poinltess IMO might as well make the car make the power all the time will work out cheaper.

2)will be a 1.9 none turbo most likly whats the point though get the 1.9 TD maybe as with just a remap thats 130hp on the rare 110hp versions. get a bigger turbo etc 150 if you go to town and the injectors etc the limits your wallet/drivability.
If you want something cheap to run that you can fiddle with buy a 1.4 or 1.6 16v. There cheap to buy, in good nick do 50 mpg (on scale cheaper than diesel with the price per litre) and im sure people will say the diesel will be faster but it'll be heavier affecting braking, handling etc. You can get a 1.6 to 120bhp easy. Its after that it gets slightly expencive. 1.4 and 1.6 are under rated on this site imo.
If your driving a petrol and getting 50mpg the diesel driving the same will be getting about 65+mpg

weight wise the 1.4/6 isn't that far off dci weight

Brakes are over spec realy for the car.

dci 100 gets it's extra power from a different intercooler and possibly a different ecu map ?? Same engine block, clinder head and cam head right ?
Block is the same turbo etc ins't.
if a company made some good performance clutches for the dci, you could see some massive gains, that is the main thing thats stopping you. brilliant project for someone just depends how much money you have to pump into it.
Clutchs are the same as 172 etc so can use the turbo clutch or do a mix and match from other cars.
The only interesting thing you could try with clios would be:
a) Get a MK2 Phase1 clio and drop in the best DCi from a phase 2 with a remap
b) Drop the DCi into a MK1 (my personal favourite)

iirc neither of the above has been done. Better still get some standalone management and start fitting custom manifolds and bigger turbos to your DCI (not forgetting a custom clutch to take the grunt). Then your talking a real project, but at real cost.
good luck
Project
a) Why bother the wiring hastle means a phase 2 is simpiler plus there no best dci engine.

b) DCI inot a Mk1 is a good idea light weight less draggy etc though about it myself before now. Can be done cheap.

Forget stand alone managment stock managemtns is the best realy when mapped for the car there no stand alone out there.

fabia vrs
My dci 65 is running around 90 bhp with a map/pannel filter and i get 72 mpg on a run and 68 driving normal with about 61 driving hard ;)

ValverInBits
This section is not for project speculation btw mate.
NOS works well on a diesel, get on the WON (wizards of nos) forum.
Personally, get a DCI 100 remapped (ifyou can find one, they are rare iirc)
having said that, Ph1 172s can see excellent MPG, if driven with restraint and on a good lambda sensor.

How much bigger is the DCi engine compared to a Mark 1 engine bay fitment?
Same sort of size engine bay wise Mk1 bay is a bit smaller than Mk2.
My dci 65 is running around 90 bhp with a map/pannel filter and i get 72 mpg on a run and 68 driving normal with about 61 driving hard ;)
You need to drive it harder
This section is not for project speculation btw mate.
NOS works well on a diesel, get on the WON (wizards of nos) forum.
Personally, get a DCI 100 remapped (ifyou can find one, they are rare iirc)

N20 works well on any car only works on diesel if it needs more air though or cooler air etc.

Golf TDI
didnt realise what good gains there are for the dci's :O also this is completely in the wrong section ...not that i care lol