ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power boost valve (Valver)

1996 Valver
I've just got a second hand pbv for my valver, like everything second-hand i'm sure it is missing a mounting bracket, + the instructions give me no idea where to mount it.
I've seen pics on here with them fitted near the dizzy cap but not quite sure where.

Can some one please put up some pictures of theirs mounted+ any general fitting tips?

Ta

1996 Valver
Y not fit it? got it cheap! Mate put one on his 205 1.9 GTI said it works quite well- allot smoother!

Roy- Its an valve to adjust the fuel pressure.

I've heard good things about power boost valves, more so from people in the know rther than idiots that think they know what they are talking about (not calling anyone an idiot)

Mégane RS
Instructions

powerboostvalve.jpg

powerboostvalve2.jpg

powerboostvalve3.jpg

Mégane RS
i know mine isnt a mk1 but heres a picture of mine

powerboostvalve4.jpg

Goes well withe a ecotek valve

Chocolate Bar™
vinny - what engine size is that fitted to, and does it make any difference? i.e. worth the money

I've got one on mine and definately make a difference

I'd take it somewhere to get it proffesionally fitted and set up, otherwise that's where you'll lose performance

Nick Hill (HillPower) set mine up and it defo works!

Mégane RS
Its fitted to my 1.4, it makes a bit of difference, fuel pick-up is better and acceleration is slightly better, the ecotek also saves me a bit of fuel

Pat_986 said:
Tom; How much am i looking at paying for setup? Was yours put onto a rolling road?

I'm not sure, I had a lot of other things done at the same time.

Nick doesn't have a rolling road, but if you can take it somewhere with one, even better.

Fitting shouldn't be too hard, so it's basically a rolling road tune, so I'd say expect to pay about 50notes.

i was told just over a ton for a PBV and rolling road setup, am tempted, might even get them to fit my decat at the same time

BMW 320d Sport
I've posted quite a detailed explanation on another thread here somewhere, one where a valver had been bodged when removing a PBV.

I'd say do the plumbing yourself (remember to remove the fuel pump fuse then turn the engine over until it stalls and runs dry before tackling any pressurised fuel pipes!) then take it for a rolling road setup. Power gains will be very marginal on its own, but it's a prerequisite for some of the more serious mods you might do on the lump.

They are a bodge and will make the car run rich at most points of the rev range.
A remap of the ECU is the only correct way to obtain the correct fuelling.

BMW 320d Sport
stu8v said:
They are a bodge and will make the car run rich at most points of the rev range.
A remap of the ECU is the only correct way to obtain the correct fuelling.
True, if it's intended as a stand-alone modification.

nick and/or stu, i've got a 1.6 8v clio that has full stainless steel exhuast, and will have decat as well if i get a PBV, probably a ITG panel filtert aswell. Will it still make my car run rich? or will it be worth while?

Nick Read said:
True, if it's intended as a stand-alone modification.

Regardless of mods they are a bodge.

When the ecu is mapped it is mapped throughout the rev range for a given (std) fuel pressure. If you then increase your fuel pressure to say gain a few bhp top end after and exhaust and inlet mods your car will overfuel low end. Its not a proportional thing, it needs to be mapped to be correct.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
agree with stu, I would'nt touch them with a barge pole personally. Took one off one of my previous cars...did nowt.

They can be of use on older cars as they'll compensate for some worn out components. The can also be of use when fitting cams without having the cash for a remap...generallly speaking you need more fuel and they'll help. However, I'd agree with not bothering with them - get a remap and let the ECU do what its meant to. They're too much hassle for not a lot of benefit.

BMW 320d Sport
stu8v said:
Regardless of mods they are a bodge.

When the ecu is mapped it is mapped throughout the rev range for a given (std) fuel pressure. If you then increase your fuel pressure to say gain a few bhp top end after and exhaust and inlet mods your car will overfuel low end. Its not a proportional thing, it needs to be mapped to be correct.

YOu've just contradicted yourself. One minute it's 'regardless of mods they are a bodge', the next minute 'it needs to be mapped to be correct'. So unless you don't count remapping as modding, there can be some value in using a pbv. Depending on the extent of your mods, and your fuelling requirements, a PBV gives you the adjustability to work with a remap better. I don't claim that on its own it makes any difference at all, and in fact may actually be worse. I would not recommend it on its own.

But in conjunction with other serious mods such as head and cam work, bigger injectors or higher flow fuel pumps, turbo conversions etc etc, I would not hesitate to use an adjustable regulator like a PBV.

And apart from anything else, going back to the situation of using it as a standalone mod, surely if we're talking about an ECU controlled, fuel injected car, the higher fuel pressure will momentarily allow more fuel through than mapped for. Then the lambda sensor will detect that the AFR is richer than expected and will lean the mixture accordingly - by closing down the injector duty cycle. This would be within the parameters of ECU control unless you had increased the fuel pressure by huge amounts. The only time when the ECU won't do this is when it goes to open loop at WOT under which overfuelling at low revs is totally irrelevant because you're caning it and almost certainly at mid-high revs.

IMHO. :)