ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

powerflex dogbone. ..

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Hey

so had it fitted to the 172 today.

got into the car and started her up.. what the actual fk?

Why does it vibrate your body to bits? What the hell is the point in these mounts if the car is going to vibrate the driver to suicide?
I'm actually tempted to take it off this instant and put old one back on myself.

The gearstick vibrates less which is what I wanted but now the entire car shakes causing the dash to rattle and the doors to rattle and my balls to rattle...

How long will this last? Will it stop?

The garage said it's because they are solid mounts and that's what happens... If that's the case WHY ARE THEY EVEN MADE?

It's certainly not solid, or did you buy the black one? Mine added vibration, but I did it and the engine/upper box mount at the same time, but really not a lot, nothing rattles inside! Worth loosening the bolts and rocking the engine back and forth, then re-tightening

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
What colour are the bushes, Black or Purple ?

I have seen on the forum that if its not fitted the correct way they can cause bad vibrations.

I have powerflex dogbone and wishbone bushes along with solid AST top mounts and sachs suspension and i would not describe the vibration like you have.

Yeah its there but nothing to drive you crazy

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
I will have a look under it now and see what way it's fitted. Hopefully take a picture. Back in a mo

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Thick side is up so as far as i can tell from reading forums it's correct.

no other mounts have been replaced though. Could this be the cause of the vibrations?

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
It's certainly not solid, or did you buy the black one? Mine added vibration, but I did it and the engine/upper box mount at the same time, but really not a lot, nothing rattles inside! Worth loosening the bolts and rocking the engine back and forth, then re-tightening
Will attempt this tomorrow when I have more time

Renault Clio 172 cup
Mine vibrated a fair bit more as well, but I kinda liked it , could feel more what the engine was doing. Single best thing I bought for my clio as it improved the gear changed no end. I had the black ones also.

Makes me laugh how people think fitting upgraded bushes is going to keep it like standard. Yes its going to take the slack out of it but at the same time it will be harsh.

My advice as i tell many. Leave it for a month then moan

172 cup
They usually settle down after a few hundred miles. I have had the Powerflex Dogbone bushes fitted and I now have the evol Dogbone mount fitted and neither increased the vibration in the car to the extreme you're suggesting so I would double check it's fitted correctly first.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Mine are purple. The only reason I wanted them was because they were said to help with gearstick vibrations. Which they have a great deal. But with the trade off of major car vibrations when idle I don't know if I can live with that.

I sit in traffic for a good 15 mins on way to work you see...
I will leave it fitted for a month and see what happens. :)

100% fitted currently.

Also the worst vibrations are had when pulling away in first. Feels like the engine going to jump out the car! Lol

I had purple. Car vibrated a little on idle but gearchange 4x better. Buy oem if you cant handle it it will just not last so long

Makes me laugh how people think fitting upgraded bushes is going to keep it like standard. Yes its going to take the slack out of it but at the same time it will be harsh.

My advice as i tell many. Leave it for a month then moan

I don't think any one will ever beat the guy who bought Ktec "RACE" engine mounts, then made a thread & video complaining that it vibrated.

EDIT: NVM this thread & anything this week was just trumped by the craigslist-style "personal" ad in the spotted section LOL!!!

Last edited:
  Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP

I don't think any one will ever beat the guy who bought Ktec "RACE" engine mounts, then made a thread & video complaining that it vibrated.

EDIT: NVM this thread & anything this week was just trumped by the craigslist-style "personal" ad in the spotted section LOL!!!

link?

Link?!?! It's the only thread in the "spotted" section ever to have the title "two sexy ladies in a 182" and then goes on to ask them to private message him LOL...

As a serious point, the idea behind solid mounts is that throttle response is improved because when you press the accelerator you don't waste the first 5 degrees of crankshaft rotation (hence torque, hence TIME) compressing rubber mounts.

Last edited:
  dan's cast offs.
don't worry the vibrations will go once you sort all the other problems with the car out;)

Ph2 172 Iceberg
I recently done mine, my car vibrates too, dash sounds like it's about to expload.

It doesn't bother me, although I can see how it could bother some people.

The vibrations are the only negative, the car feels so much better when doing gear changes and I love that all the engine/gearbox knocking noises have been cured.

Nissan 350z
I took the uprated dogbone (Powerflex Black) off the Trophy that the previous owner fitted due to the cabin shake when coming on/off engine load and the fact the gearstick still felt (to me at least) very lose/sloppy and had alot of play even when in gear. I had a Yanoo stiff shift and a new Renault dogbone fitted, its now perfect to drive and much more positive when changing gears compared to how vague it felt before and not to mention no vibration side effects!

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Ive never had a problem sitting in traffic with a purple powerflex fitted and I also sit in it probably 20 minutes or more a day. Yes it vibrates a tiny bit more but its nothing major, my saxo 16v with new standard mounts and another purple powerflex vibrates a hell of a lot more. If anything I think these kind of mounts keep the other ones in check/better condition for longer as they arent constantly being squeezed as much by engine rotation

Clio 172
I have a purple powerflex dogbone, KTEC solid engine mounts and Pure solid top mounts and don't really get much vibration at all, certainly nothing rattles.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Done around 180 miles in it since fitted. Been all over the place.
Vibrations have died down apart from when idle. Makes inside the doors rattle. Lol

hopefully it will get better

RB Clio 182
Hey

so had it fitted to the 172 today.

got into the car and started her up.. what the actual fk?

Why does it vibrate your body to bits? What the hell is the point in these mounts if the car is going to vibrate the driver to suicide?
I'm actually tempted to take it off this instant and put old one back on myself.

The gearstick vibrates less which is what I wanted but now the entire car shakes causing the dash to rattle and the doors to rattle and my balls to rattle...

How long will this last? Will it stop?

The garage said it's because they are solid mounts and that's what happens... If that's the case WHY ARE THEY EVEN MADE?

This made me LOL

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
So. After 1k with this mount on my findings.

Gearstick feels loose and sloppy again. Vibrates a lot.

Cabin vibrations have died down, but i still have some noticeably annoying vibrations and rattles in cabin at idle. and the car feels like its going to fall to bits when i pull away :p (prob ott there haha)

Im going to stick a Brand new OEM dogbone on the car, and see what it feels like, I'm happy doing that myself as an experiment.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
@Diagro did you ever solve this?
Just done a search for dogbone mount and this came up.
My car just feels a bit "loose" at the moment. Needs a good going over I think, havnt really refreshed anything in 12 months.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Just fit the big poly bush leave the small as std stops all the movement but no vibrations :up:

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I've done around 1000 miles with my powerflex on now. You can tell its there on start up, but once running its fine. No excessive vibrations, and still feels 100% better than OEM

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I haven't noticed anymore vibrations with this fitted, or with solid engine and gearbox mounts. You all got sensitive bums or something?

Maybe a tiny teeny slight vibration but that could be due to the solid top mounts too. I haven't had anyone complain (non car people) when they've been in my car yet though so it's obviously not noticeable

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Yea. I have been in a 182 with a powerflex and you could tell on start up. Was 100 x less vibrations that mine had with them on.
I think I have an extra vibratey engine tbh. On normal dogbone is still slightly vibratey on idle but no where near as bad. I do miss the gear feel but I just count stand the idle and pulling away vibrations the powerflex gave

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Ah, maybe not then, lol
On my 172 they caused a bit of vibration but nothing bad.
Different levels on the dci though.
When it was idling you could stand 10 metres away from it and you could actually hear everything rattling. Bumpers, sunroof, number plates, door cards... Was hilarious! Lol

RB Clio 182
On my 172 they caused a bit of vibration but nothing bad.
Different levels on the dci though.
When it was idling you could stand 10 metres away from it and you could actually hear everything rattling. Bumpers, sunroof, number plates, door cards... Was hilarious! Lol

Should have made a sign for the dci.. 'Daniels walk in walk out rampant rabbit!'

Imagine sniffing that seat after a days work :D