ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

powerflex gearbox dog bone bush

E46 320CD
Hello all, need your help please.

Today i fitted the powerflex dogbone bush to my 172 cup. I changed it as i was getting the occasional knock from the manifold under heavy acceleration in 1st and 2nd.

Well it's made my problem worse, it's doing it everytime now, also the car feels like a bloody food blender on tickover but can live with that if it had cured my original problem.

So my question is, could i have done something wrong, i've checked the pictures on the site and it looks like i've fitted it right.

Also what do i replace next, presumng i've done everything correct.

Cheers.

S4 Avant
If fitting a stiffer mount hasn't cured the problem, I'd risk guessing that it wasn't that mount in the first place causing it ;)

Try the upper gear box mount, the next cheapest one

E46 320CD
If fitting a stiffer mount hasn't cured the problem, I'd risk guessing that it wasn't that mount in the first place causing it ;)

Try the upper gear box mount, the next cheapest one

Cheers for the quick reply mate, much appreciated.

Should of gone with "if it's not broken dont fix it" but the old mounts no good now!

any ideas wheres the best place to get the said mount? Or is it a case of going the stealers?

EuroCarParts, K-tec.

Let us know how it goes mate because I'll be fitting powerflex mounts to my dogbone mount very soon but the reason I'm doing it is for a different reason to you.

these may have changed, but ECP's part numbers for the mounts were
338745140 upper g/box (£13), and 337745060 engine mount (£57)

sounds odd that it's now worse - have you tried slackening the engine mount and pulling the engine forwards?

Last edited:
  E46 320CD
these may have changed, but ECP's part numbers for the mounts were
338745140 upper g/box (£13), and 337745060 engine mount (£57)

sounds odd that it's now worse - have you tried slackening the engine mount and pulling the engine forwards?

mate you a legend.. Just called them with the part numbers and they have them in stock.

Did look at pulling the engine forward, but the mount is as far foward as it can be by the looks of things.

It's pissing me off to be honest and i've only had it a month.....

I'll get there i suppose ;)

nice one

if you're going to do the upper gearbox mount, it's a good idea to remove the spindle that it's mounted on, and thread lock the lower nut back on (accessible from wheel arch)

E46 320CD
Back to the drawing board.

Replaced the upper gearbox mount and the bloody knocking is still there. I'm beggining to think it's something to do with the dogbone mount.

I say this because when we fitted it, we figured the bar the bushes sit in can only go in one way, what i mean is, it will only line up with the bolt holes one way, we went for the simplist way (if we turned it upside the bolts wern't going through the bushes unless we moved the engine). We didn't need to move the engine or anything, bolts went straight through the bushes.

Another observation we have made is we have missed off the washer that sits between the little bush between the stabiliser bar ( can this cause the problem?)

Any help much appreciated, all i'm getting ogf people is you shouldn't have bought a french car - need to prove them wrong.

Back to the drawing board.

Replaced the upper gearbox mount and the bloody knocking is still there. I'm beggining to think it's something to do with the dogbone mount.

I say this because when we fitted it, we figured the bar the bushes sit in can only go in one way, what i mean is, it will only line up with the bolt holes one way, we went for the simplist way (if we turned it upside the bolts wern't going through the bushes unless we moved the engine). We didn't need to move the engine or anything, bolts went straight through the bushes.

Another observation we have made is we have missed off the washer that sits between the little bush between the stabiliser bar ( can this cause the problem?)

Any help much appreciated, all i'm getting ogf people is you shouldn't have bought a french car - need to prove them wrong.

I got the same thing when I rang EuroCarParts lol I had to go in and explain what I was on about.

To be honest I'd try replacing the upper engine mount, I know it's £57 wasted if it's not that but when I was getting that nasty knocking noise I took the upper engine mount off and all the rubber was split, I replaced it and the knocking disappeared.

Talking about moving the engine forward, did you just try and move the engine by hand? when I did it I used a long thin bolster chisel and pushed down the back of inlet plenum and levered against the bodywork inside the engine bay and it came forward quite abit, where as when I tried doing it by hand it wouldn't move at all.

E46 320CD
I got the same thing when I rang EuroCarParts lol I had to go in and explain what I was on about.

To be honest I'd try replacing the upper engine mount, I know it's £57 wasted if it's not that but when I was getting that nasty knocking noise I took the upper engine mount off and all the rubber was split, I replaced it and the knocking disappeared.

Talking about moving the engine forward, did you just try and move the engine by hand? when I did it I used a long thin bolster chisel and pushed down the back of inlet plenum and levered against the bodywork inside the engine bay and it came forward quite abit, where as when I tried doing it by hand it wouldn't move at all.

I can't move the engine forward anymore, it a far as it will go looking at the mount.

The top engine mount looks sound TBH as have all the other mounts i have removed.

I'm starting to get disheartened with it now, i feel like i've wasted 4k at the moment.

would anybody be prepared to have a look at it for me please, will happily donate beer tokens and travel providing it's not miles away.

when you did the gearbox mount, did you make sure the spindle/bolt that it sits on was tightened into the hidden lower nut?

E46 320CD
when you did the gearbox mount, did you make sure the spindle/bolt that it sits on was tightened into the hidden lower nut?

:S

No!

The bolt was wobbling round like nobodys business! it wasn't tightening up in to the gearbox, it just kept spinning.

that'll be your problem

it's a crap design - the bolt looks solidly mounted, but is actually held underneath by a nut. need to whip the mount off again and also the n/s wheel - ring spanner on the nut underneath (from the wheel arch) and use the flats on the bolt to tighten it up

as mentioned earlier, best to take it off and use threadlock, as it'll probably work loose again

that should sort it by the sound of things:)

E46 320CD
that'll be your problem

it's a crap design - the bolt looks solidly mounted, but is actually held underneath by a nut. need to whip the mount off again and also the n/s wheel - ring spanner on the nut underneath (from the wheel arch) and use the flats on the bolt to tighten it up

as mentioned earlier, best to take it off and use threadlock, as it'll probably work loose again

that should sort it by the sound of things:)

Mate if you wern't in bristol i'd happily buy you a pint.

I'll be trying this tommorow, so that spindle shouldnt have any movement in it before the mount is fitted and torqued up?

E46 320CD
Henry,

I owe you a big thank you, did as you said and all is well.

At first i was getting a slight knock if i planted it in 1st, but that soon went, possibly the new mount bedding in (if they do that, i don't know)

Went on the route where i know i could create the knocking and it was perfect, just the noise of 7k rpm :approve:

One happy cup owner again, thank you.

RS RIP
^^ when you noticed you were'nt getting resistance when tightening the bolt, why did'nt you notice/mention this !? :rolleyes:

you should have straight away noticed this was causing a problem . ANyway , glad it's sorted

E46 320CD
^^ when you noticed you were'nt getting resistance when tightening the bolt, why did'nt you notice/mention this !? :rolleyes:

you should have straight ayay noticed this was causing a problem . ANyway , glad it's sorted

It's what happens when a novice touches a car :rasp:

i'm still learning, but slowly getting there :eek:

E46 320CD
Well was short lived, the knockings back.....

Only in 1st gear now though, any other gears it's perfectly fine.

Had the car on the up in the air yesterday and was underneath it having a gander at the dogbone mount, somethings not right i think.

The big bushes arn't sitting flush in the housing, almost look as if there squashed out. Also the 2 washers i got with the kit, 1 goes between the little bush and the engine stabaliser, but where does the other go?

Should this big bush be sitting flush in its housing? If so i'll take it off and try re-fitting it.

that sounds as it should be; there's a picture on KTEC's site: http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=1485

difficult to see, but the washers should go either side of the smaller, front mount

apart from actually renewing the rest of the mounts, only other thing i can think to suggest is having another go at pulling the engine forwards. might need to slacken the rest of the mounts to help

E46 320CD
that sounds as it should be; there's a picture on KTEC's site: http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=1485

difficult to see, but the washers should go either side of the smaller, front mount

apart from actually renewing the rest of the mounts, only other thing i can think to suggest is having another go at pulling the engine forwards. might need to slacken the rest of the mounts to help

I don't think i can move the engine any futher forward Henry, I've took some pictures on my lunch to show why.

I did however notive the top mount had a bit of movement in in and little bit's of what looked like rubber at the bottom, so think i may need to look at that next :(

Here's the pic's, excuse the quality!

Top part of mount

Image077.jpg

Bottom part of mount

Image078.jpg

The mount itself (this don't show much)

Image079.jpg

does look about as far forward as it's coming

a few people have found that their top engine mount has split/torn in two, so doing that one next is your best bet. the only other mount is the little rubber block on the front of the gearbox, and that's just a support/packing piece really.

at least you'll have all-new mounts once you've done - they're a common problem on these