ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pressure Washer Took My Paint Off...

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped

got your attention!! luckily i wasnt stupid enough to try it on the 182 1st.

Took the paint off my Mountain Bike!!

Wondering now if its ok to use on my 182, dont want to strip the fooker.

I did read in the manual that its ok to use in the wheel arches but no mention of the rest of the car.

What you reckon?

Btw it cost me £29.99 and its powerful as fook.

i would have thought the paint on your car would be thicker than on your bike, but then again, it is a renault!

i wouldnt risk it fella tbh! have you got a mate whos car you can clean? ;)

Mondeo STTDCI

I would NEVER use a pressure wash except on wheels. And only then if Id left it 6 months and couldnt bear the thought of doing it by hand.

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped

Guess i could use the Mrss Ka as a guinea pig:devilish:

Did a top job on the alloys though.

I regularly use the pressure washer to get the worst sh*te off the car before hand-washing ... and then again to swill suds off. For paintwork in my opinion it improves the process by safely getting rid of dust/crap before putting a sponge to it.

I do have one problem though which I think is related but dont really know why ...

Since I have started doing this my handbrake sticks like a ba$tard the next day when first attempting to move the car... and I mean REALLY bad. I now avoid the wheels with the pressure washer but still get sticking whenever I wash the car (although not quite as severe now).

I think I may have damaged something ... suggestions?

Octavia VRS

no u havent mate, my clio has done that ever since i have had that. It also happens wen the car is sitting outside in heavy rain. Many a morning I have come out to find the handbrake sticking

HOWEVER,

three months ago my handbrake seized to my rear left axle, didnt sound good and the burning smell wen trying to release it got me quite worried at time. DOnt wash the arches as much now!

it also depends what power your washer is, if its a lowish powered one then hold it away as others have said, however if its one of the high jobies then even standing back and using it can be risky. <SCRIPT language=javascript>

EDIT!

i still would not use one tho ;)

[Edited by blaupunkt on 15 September 2004 at 11:42pm]

My pressure washer took the paint off my rear bumper... :(

I still use the thing, but have it on spray instead of jet.

Saw some old geezer spend literally 15 minutes at the power wash in Asda cleaning his car, painfully slowly, queue was massive. When he was finished he was raging when he noticed the amount of paint hed lost! Probably cos it was a K reg Metro with rust!

Wouldnt use a power washer on my Clio - I find the garden hose is powerful enough to remove all crap/suds.

Full Fat 182 - Was..

Quote: Originally posted by craig182 on 15 September 2004

I regularly use the pressure washer to get the worst sh*te off the car before hand-washing ... and then again to swill suds off. For paintwork in my opinion it improves the process by safely getting rid of dust/crap before putting a sponge to it.

I do have one problem though which I think is related but dont really know why ...

Since I have started doing this my handbrake sticks like a ba$tard the next day when first attempting to move the car... and I mean REALLY bad. I now avoid the wheels with the pressure washer but still get sticking whenever I wash the car (although not quite as severe now).

same as^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i get the same on my 182

easy fix, park with the hand brake OFF or if on a slope put it in 1st with the breaks off, stops rust welding the break to the disk

Ford Fiesta

or just drive it after to remove the water, does it on mine, soon wears off when you drive.

dont put the washer close to car paint, try it on your hand at a distance of over 1.5 foot its like a fast mist of water not going to damage anyting, put your hand cose theough and it hurts!!!!

300bhp MR2 Turbo

One of my neighbours washs his Fronterra every week with one and its always gleaming.

Never done it any harm. Before any one says anything this is one of the top of the range 3.2 V6 luxury ones not a rusty old cack can.

GR7

Shiny red R32

For me, pressure washers are best for cleaning patios and driveways. Its the hose, buckets, sponges and leather for me! ;)

insignia

Quote: Originally posted by Matt16v on 16 September 2004

One of my neighbours washs his Fronterra every week with one and its always gleaming.

Never done it any harm. Before any one says anything this is one of the top of the range 3.2 V6 luxury ones not a rusty old cack can.

Most people do use power washers and dont have any problems.When you use a hose pipe its crap,you use a power washer and its ace.Too many people worry on here. I have used a car washer for 4 years on 6 different cars and never had a problem.

[Edited by 182 sport on 16 September 2004 at 12:45pm]

Quote: Originally posted by James 182 on 16 September 2004

Quote: Originally posted by craig182 on 15 September 2004

same as^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i get the same on my 182

easy fix, park with the hand brake OFF or if on a slope put it in 1st with the breaks off, stops rust welding the break to the disk

Yeah i just leave mine in 1st, feels/sounds painful when i break through the rust when i reverse out of my drive in the mornings.

-Rob

Ford Fiesta

Quote: Originally posted by GirlRacer on 16 September 2004

For me, pressure washers are best for cleaning patios and driveways. Its the hose, buckets, sponges and leather for me! ;)

yeah but for getting baked on mud and muck off you cant do better than a blast with the pressure washer, just remember not too close!

300bhp MR2 Turbo

I think the only time auto car washs cause a problem is on brand new paint as it only fully hardens after a while.

Quote: Originally posted by JillyB on 15 September 2004

I read this first as Pressure washer took my pants off :oops:
Great minds! lol ;)

[Edited by Pete_172 on 16 September 2004 at 2:30pm]

My mate had the same problem when he used a pressure washer on his motorbike wheels, took some of the paint off.

[Edited by Pete_172 on 16 September 2004 at 2:31pm]

I used one on the 172 and it was fine just dont get too close with it. Doesnt clean that well tho.

Pressure washing is lazy washing ;) Nothing like a good car shampoo and one of those nice lambs wool mittens, comes up a treat!!!