ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Price of bonnet

Clio Expression 1.2 16V
Had the Clio faulty bonnet catch thing happen to me this weekend :mad: not wanting to start a rant just get an idea of prices.

Car is a silver mk2 ph2 Clio Expression.

The garage my insurers have taken it to reckon about £900-£1000 damage. Car needs:
bonnet
bonnet hinges
bonnet latch
windscreen
roof needs panel beated

Going through insurance will mean losing no claims bonus which as 19 year old is going to really increase insurance.

Sounds expensive to me so was thinking it may be cheaper to have windscreen repaired by insurance (£60 excess) thus keeping my no claims bonus - and get the rest repaired elsewhere.

Just after some advice and opinions right now... cheers

Evo 8 MR
If you can live with it in the state its in then its probably better getting the work done yourself.

Not entirely sure on this, but could you not get onto Renault UK as they know that this is a common problem and see if they'll help you out at all?

Clio Expression 1.2 16V
Renault UK accepting no liability in any cases so far, stating two main excuses: owner did not close bonnet properly and owner did not maintain bonnet catch properly. I know how to close my bonnet and drove around every day for three weeks since it was last closed. I lubricate the bonnet catch with a silicone spray every few month. More info here...

Anyway! In the long run keeping my no claims bonus is going to be best. Estimated cost new bonnet and roof panel beated? I have a friend who could probably fit the bonnet if it isn't a tough job.

Cheers guys!

Last edited:
Wasn't sure if they would accept liability or not.

Could prob get a bonnet and all that jazz from a scrappies for a hundred or so, nother hundred or so for it to be repsrayed to your car and 60 for the windsreen.

Most expensive piece would be fixing the roof.

Clio Expression 1.2 16V
I must of been doing 65-70mph on a dual carriageway, had been on the road about an hour. I was in the slow lane, managed to slow the car down gradually and pulled onto grass verge. Could of been fatal in rush hour etc.

Yeah the roof is gonna be a bugger thats what I was thinking. Renault price for brand new bonnet anyone??

this exact same thing happened to me a few weeks back, got a new bonnet off ebay for £60 but its only primed.
also had to buy a new windscreen for £280,
my sunroof smashed aswell, but luckily got one off ebay for a tenner.
also wondering how much it would cost to get the huge roof dents out and where it could be done?

Clio Expression 1.2 16V
Lol DanS you dont. You can take it to any Renault dealership who will check the bonnet catch for you and I think you get some sort of certificate.

Renault have sent all Clio owners a letter informing them of this free check, however few have received them. Interesting to see if many of you on here have.

The DSA are not letting Clio's be used for a driving test unless this certificate is produced.

Anyway, Ive bought a brand new bonnet 70 quid and spray job 120. Not sure if I can get the windscreen replaced until the dents are beated out of the roof.