ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with my newly aquired 172 :( Exhaust is falling off!

Sold the sport :(
Bummer, only got this Friday, went for a spin yesterday and now the zorst decides to break. I've taken a series of pics, could you tell me:

1/ Is this normal?
2/ Where it's broken, it seems to me like it's a aftermarket welded bit or are they all like this?
3/ The cat, I think i've found it now (thought it had been removed) - can anyone confirm?
4/ What sort of money we are talking to replace this?

This is the suspect welded section, just under the heatshield at the rear of the car

this is the obvious break - it's all around the joint, see heatshield?

Pic of same but further back so you can see the centre system

Pic of weld from other side of car

I take it this is the cat (front end of car )

Cheers all

Si

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
How many miles has she done? as most 172 exhausts go at around the 40K mark accordind to EVO magazine.

I agree with cliobritt, i'd take it make to the garage and demand for it two be fixed free of charge, as you have only had the car 5 mins.

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
You'll be better of asking for some money to replace the exhaust and then buy an aftermarket one from Ktec, Prospeed or GDI.

Civic Type-R
Mine did exactly the same except it came apart just behind the back box. Happened 2 weeks after I had it too is a comon problem from what I hear.

Cheers all - it's done 19k but probably been local town driving and parked outside - I know town driving will rot them quicker as it does not get hot enough to burn off the s**t

The dealer is being ok so far, had to go to kwik fit to get a quote for them - around £160 assuming they can get one but they have temp fixed it up for now

How much am I looking for a decent system? Don't want anything loud, just reliable so s/s would be ideal

Si

Result - dealer is changing it but their problem is you can only get them from Renault main dealers and it's costing them £400!!!

I don't care as long as it's sorted though :)

Si

1998 BMW e46 323i
very common fault mate... We've all (apart from cliobritt) been there. The new bits should last around 3 yrs minimum.

Monaco Blue Mk2
MadSi said:
Result - dealer is changing it but their problem is you can only get them from Renault main dealers and it's costing them £400!!!

I don't care as long as it's sorted though :)

Si

Tell them to give you £300 then and you will sort it yourself. Best all round really. Saves them £100 and you can actually get a decent exhaust. You definately need a stainless steel one or it's just going to happen again mate. The Renault ones are s**t. Almost like plastic! Your best bet is prospeed in cardiff or a custom exhaust place near you if cardiff is too far. Powerflow have had a few good reviews on here and there are different branches all over the country.