ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Problem with my newly aquired 172 :( Exhaust is falling off!

Sold the sport :(
Bummer, only got this Friday, went for a spin yesterday and now the zorst decides to break. I've taken a series of pics, could you tell me:

1/ Is this normal?
2/ Where it's broken, it seems to me like it's a aftermarket welded bit or are they all like this?
3/ The cat, I think i've found it now (thought it had been removed) - can anyone confirm?
4/ What sort of money we are talking to replace this?

This is the suspect welded section, just under the heatshield at the rear of the car

Img_0450.jpg

this is the obvious break - it's all around the joint, see heatshield?
Img_0451.jpg

Pic of same but further back so you can see the centre system
Img_0453.jpg

Pic of weld from other side of car
Img_0454.jpg

I take it this is the cat (front end of car )
Img_0455.jpg

Cheers all

Si

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
How many miles has she done? as most 172 exhausts go at around the 40K mark accordind to EVO magazine.

I agree with cliobritt, i'd take it make to the garage and demand for it two be fixed free of charge, as you have only had the car 5 mins.

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
You'll be better of asking for some money to replace the exhaust and then buy an aftermarket one from Ktec, Prospeed or GDI.

Civic Type-R
Mine did exactly the same except it came apart just behind the back box. Happened 2 weeks after I had it too is a comon problem from what I hear.

Cheers all - it's done 19k but probably been local town driving and parked outside - I know town driving will rot them quicker as it does not get hot enough to burn off the s**t

The dealer is being ok so far, had to go to kwik fit to get a quote for them - around £160 assuming they can get one but they have temp fixed it up for now

How much am I looking for a decent system? Don't want anything loud, just reliable so s/s would be ideal

Si

Result - dealer is changing it but their problem is you can only get them from Renault main dealers and it's costing them £400!!!

I don't care as long as it's sorted though :)

Si

1998 BMW e46 323i
very common fault mate... We've all (apart from cliobritt) been there. The new bits should last around 3 yrs minimum.

Monaco Blue Mk2
MadSi said:
Result - dealer is changing it but their problem is you can only get them from Renault main dealers and it's costing them £400!!!

I don't care as long as it's sorted though :)

Si

Tell them to give you £300 then and you will sort it yourself. Best all round really. Saves them £100 and you can actually get a decent exhaust. You definately need a stainless steel one or it's just going to happen again mate. The Renault ones are s**t. Almost like plastic! Your best bet is prospeed in cardiff or a custom exhaust place near you if cardiff is too far. Powerflow have had a few good reviews on here and there are different branches all over the country.