ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Problems with the Cup continue.....

RenaultSport clio 182
Yeah, I get the noise on full lock both left and right, sounds awful. Also reversing out of my drive the last few mornings ive had a loud bang from the front of the car??? random, and its not the drums freezing as ive had it in hotter weather.

RALLYPUG said:
The knocking noise can be heard if you set off in 1st and then just take your foot off the pedal....it 'clunks' from the front right.Also,with the handbrake on put the car into 1st and and bring your foot off the clutch quickly without stalling the engine...do this a few times and you will hear the clunking.

The 'grating' noise from the front right is heard when you put the car on full right lock and drive clockwise,slowly in first,up a slight rise in the road....like a loading bay ramp or a low kerb.It sounds like the spring is turning in the strut.

Hope this doesn't spoil your weekends!

You've described in great detail exactly what happens to mine in both of those situtations. My driveway requires full right-lock and happens to be a slight raise, thats when I first discovered it. I've only noticed the lift-off at low speeds thing in the past month or so which is odd, but I have been concentrating harder with the music quieter in the cold snap so I probably just missed it before.

RenaultSport Clio 172 CUP
i got same problem when i turn full lock, clunking sounds..

it aint to bad though, so is it ok to just leave it?!! :)

182 with cup packs
Penfold1977 said:
My car has the same sort of issues, and it's an '05 182, but my knocking sound only happens when the car is just started up from cold. The front wheel feels like it's slipping, almost like you are trying to put in a screw with no thread left in the head.

thats what mine does to, the first time it happened i thought i had curbed my wheels, got out and nothin, now im just use to it.

soon to be a 200
my trophy had the same lift off fixed by engine mount .
full lock one still happens but local dealer could not fix it .

Last edited:
  Clio Cup/GSXR 600
Has anyone had to pay for the mod if so how much, it was happening to my 172 cup, warrenty ran out in december but all of a sudden its got worse? Im gunna book it in today im tempted to kick up a big fuss and try to get it done for free, seein as it seems like its a design fault? Any suggestions be greatful!

172 cup (again)
I had the mod carried out by Abergavenny autos (renault dealer) last wknd on my 172 cup, it didnt stop the creaking/grinding noise, i kicked off and they had the car back on the ramps, they apparently then greased the antiroll bar bushes and this has fixed it (not sure how). i didnt get charged for the modification and my car is out of warranty.

Clio Cup/GSXR 600
rja cup said:
I had the mod carried out by Abergavenny autos (renault dealer) last wknd on my 172 cup, it didnt stop the creaking/grinding noise, i kicked off and they had the car back on the ramps, they apparently then greased the antiroll bar bushes and this has fixed it (not sure how). i didnt get charged for the modification and my car is out of warranty.

Just took it in they had a look and said the mod will fix it but want to charge me £280.

No chance i aint payin that when its a design fault that everyone is experiencing! Im ringing customer services later!

clio 1.2 16v sport
ask them to replace the car with an equivalent, you would do it if you had bought a pair of levis that split down the seem. a car is no diferant to anything else you buy. wether its second hand or not or how you paid for it. just make sure you test drive the car they offer you.

172 cup (again)
Russ 0016, what mod will they actually be doing?! The common fault that 3 different technicians from my 3 local but different renault dealerships knew about apparently only takes an hour, I was originally charged £64 for an hours work before i kicked up a fuss and didnt get charged, it was the same at at Cardiff renault (hours labour about £82) and Swansea renault ( hours labour about £75?!

Clio Cup/GSXR 600
rja cup said:
Russ 0016, what mod will they actually be doing?! The common fault that 3 different technicians from my 3 local but different renault dealerships knew about apparently only takes an hour, I was originally charged £64 for an hours work before i kicked up a fuss and didnt get charged, it was the same at at Cardiff renault (hours labour about £82) and Swansea renault ( hours labour about £75?!

Its the TI 1505 mod where they grind away at the top mount, yeah supposed to take hour an half (found out from the second visit - me tellin them i want it doin and aint payin), first visit they told me the fault then said it takes 4 hours and will cost £280!

Dealers are fookin sh*te, im waitin for them to ring me back now. Spoken to Renault UK who are ringin the dealers now to see whats involved. I told em all they need to know?

Whats the betting no-one rings me back!

Clio 182 / Lotus Elise S1
I get clunking now on full-lock in forward or reverse, left or right. :( The first few times I heard it in reverse reversing out of a parking space at work I thought I'd hit something/someone behind! I'll mention it at my 36K mile service which should be next month as it seems its a common problem and my front wheels aren't about to fall off. :)