ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Problems with the Cup continue.....

Peddled device
I have to say first of all that l love my Cup.Its fun to drive,looks fantastic and always brings a smile to my face.Its great on juice,goes like stink and when the roads are wet you can have a ton of fun spinning the wheels and sliding about!
However,this long running noise problem from the o/s/f of the car is becoming a pain.Its been to reno Manchester 5 times now (including the 2 year service) and after fitting a new mount,tightening everything etc they have made it worse! It started as a slight 'knocking' noise when the car decelerated at slow speeds and has now turned into a 'grating,crunching' noise when on full lock.....it sounds like the whole strut is wearing away at the shell.I have been out with a mechanic today (the same one as a few weeks ago) and he agrees that its like metal on metal contact.His boss tried the car a few weeks back and said,"thats what they all do". "b****cks!", l said!
Anyway,l was right,he was wrong as its now got worse.My 13 year old 205 gti never made this noise.....and we all know about bits falling off them!
The car is booked in AGAIN for the 20th of december for them to solve it.What are my options if its still got a problem?

Lee

BMW M2C
JBarber said:
tried renault customer services?

08000 723372 then press 2 and then 4.

They are pretty quick at picking it up, and have nice calming hold music.

Believe it or not my MK1 phase 2 is doing just the same thing...

It's coming from the wheel area and will be taking it apart tonight to try to diagnose the problem...

I'm guessing that even though it makes the noise you get no feedback through the controls?

Also it continues whether clutch engaged or on the brakes? Get's worse the more you drive it? i.e. gets louder more persistant...

Are these the same symptoms? We can't feel any movement in the wheel or hub so it doesn't look like the bearings. Have noticed one thing though that the sound varies with speed.

I have a new shape racer and many of the parts are fundamentally of the same design as the MK1 phase 2 so be interested to hear the dealers diagnosis. It if it is the same problem then it doesn't seem likely it's be the engine mounts.....

Last edited:
Quote "They all do that".

He is right. There is nothing they can do. Unfortunately this will fall on deaf ears - including here. I should know as I have tried countless times attempting to get a fix from here, RenaultSport forum/Panel of Experts and Renault dealers.

Peddled device
Well to me its simply....l pay £10.5k cash and they give me a car with 3 years warranty.
I've paid the dosh...they fix the car.If they don't then i'll be on Watchdog with that nutter Campbell...

Boxster S
My car has the same sort of issues, and it's an '05 182, but my knocking sound only happens when the car is just started up from cold. The front wheel feels like it's slipping, almost like you are trying to put in a screw with no thread left in the head.

Titanium ph1 turbo
my cup does that too... i heard its a common fault but it can be fixed by them modifying something. i only notice it on full right lock reversing off my drive when i leave the house.

Got the same problem, had it since I got it (8k) and now on 16k its getting worse. Full lock is the noisiest instance of it but it also occurs when decelerating as you mentioned as well.

I'm actually scared to take it in to get it looked at, mainly because apart from that I've not had a problem (touch wood) and I'm concerned that it will come back in worse condition than its gone in. I know thats a shocking thing to say but I really have absolutely no confidence in Renault when something does go wrong.

So his boss was probably right, they do all do it! Doesn't make it ok though.

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
the renault garage that did mine made a rite mess of it,they grind the strut top turrets into an egg shape and never even retreated the metal on mine as i found out when i changed the suspension

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Yep the noise ur all tlking about is the top strut mounts renault have a mod for this they make the turret a egg shape on both sides used to do them on 172 cups alot done a few on 182s as well watch out as well cos some dealers dont treat the area they modifiy so we all know what happens to bear metal!!!

Peddled device
The mechanic told me a few weeks back that he would check on Renos' own internal internet thingy to see if any other mechanics have found a problem like this and what they did to cure it.
Apparently there was nothing!!!!!

Took my front wheels off last night and ran the car whilst on axle stands. Also turned to the right to increase the symptoms that all of you including me have experienced. The sound appears to be coming from the CV joint at the top end of the drive shaft!!!

At least on mine anyway. Will be stripping mine tonigh to find out. Interestingly on my racer this is one of the check points that needs doing after every outing. I'll be working on the racer next weekend with a chap from one of the teams so will ask him a little more about it.

When I spoke with him trying to diagnose the problem on the MK1 it was one of the first things he said to me....

RallyPug

My cup is going in on monday to have the engine mounts replaced for the third time. The service manager is also getting involved along with some engineer from renault uk. I have to admit you lot have worried me about this modification process where they might mess it up. I know exactly how you guys feel, i have only done 12.5k miles in my cup and this is not aceptable.

That knocking noise is so annoying, i know i will get it back it will be fine for a while then it will start all over again.

Peddled device
Let me know how you get on and i'll print this topic off and show them when l send mine in.Theres no way their going to fob me off this time....and i'll let them know about it!
In my job l am upfront & honest about everything we do to our customers tankers and if theres something we can't fix straight away we tell them....no BS!
I CAN FEEL A FIGHT COMING ON.....

Peddled device
Can owners who have had this problem just post up the words 'ME TOO' .
It'll look impressive if l show a print out of 1000 posts.....!

Ford Fiesta
its hard to tell which knocking you mean.
I get a a feeling of "loose" wheels on full lock if that makes sense.

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
ME TOO 53 plate 172 9k)just to add rally pug i didnt realise mine had been done till hillpower took my old suspension off and seen the strut tops had been ground away and the first renault garage i spoke to new nothing about it

I had the same problem in my full fat 172, Mitchells Renault of Lowestoft actually came through and fixed that one. Don't know what they did though.

had mine done too. when i booked it in the girl said there was a tech note for curing the suspension prob. involved cutting a bit of the suspension top away.

the noise on full lock is from the strut tops, those that said it were right there is a mod out to alter the shape of the strut top. if i remember ill get the note number and you can at least quote this next time you visit a dealer and you cant get fobbed off.

the noise from your driveshafts whilst there is no weight on the front axle is normal,its due to the extreme angle the shaft is rotating at,its not a fault or anything you will cure.

stu

Peddled device
Stu 16v said:
the noise on full lock is from the strut tops, those that said it were right there is a mod out to alter the shape of the strut top. if i remember ill get the note number and you can at least quote this next time you visit a dealer and you cant get fobbed off.

Cheers.That will be a big help.

the noise from your driveshafts whilst there is no weight on the front axle is normal,its due to the extreme angle the shaft is rotating at,its not a fault or anything you will cure.

The clunking is when the car decelarates so some weight is on the front

stu

Cheers

sorry couldnt get on here yesterday but as promised i remembered to find the solution for the strut top mod.

what the dealer needs to be looking at is TI 1505. its a technical info bulletin about how to cure the problem. it does state they must apply rust proofing to it aswell.

hope this helps

Peddled device
The knocking noise can be heard if you set off in 1st and then just take your foot off the pedal....it 'clunks' from the front right.Also,with the handbrake on put the car into 1st and and bring your foot off the clutch quickly without stalling the engine...do this a few times and you will hear the clunking.

The 'grating' noise from the front right is heard when you put the car on full right lock and drive clockwise,slowly in first,up a slight rise in the road....like a loading bay ramp or a low kerb.It sounds like the spring is turning in the strut.

Hope this doesn't spoil your weekends!