ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project: CUP

RS Clio 172 Cup
Hey people,

Back in Dec`2009, i decided to buy a CAT D 172 Cup for £1400 that had been repaired. It had no MOT or Tax aswell. Overall the car looked ok, and engine was running sweet. There was scratches on the front and rear bumper and a coulpe of dents but apart from that body work was ok.

Anway details of car when i got it:
172 Cup
62,000miles
Some service history
Belts done back in 2007
Black bonnet
K&N air filter
Lowered
Black multispoke alloys
Ported head
Performance CAM shafts
Smoked rear lights
And awful honeycomb grille (Previous owner put it on as he made c**k up of painting grille)

Thats all i could think of.

Didnt really get any pictures when i first got it but here is a few.

Anyway once car at home decided to get it MOT'd straight away.

And yes it Failed - Emissions, Bulbs, Front brake pads, N/S/F Hub, Ball joint, Horn and incorrect fitting of N/S/R Spring. Not to bad then.

Then i ordered New brake pads, new ball joint, hub, horn, bulbs and full service kit including all fluids.

All the above parts where fitting including service.

Full Oil treatment, new filter, new 5w 40 Oil, New NGK spark plugs, cleaned rear brakes, topped up all fuilds, cleaned all sensors and clean butterfly, and also gave the K&N filter a clean and re-oiled.

Wooh, All that made a such different in how it ran. So now its running sweet and healthy.

So, next was to sort out emissions. As emissions warning light was on. I thought it would be best to get it read by an RSTurner. As i didnt have one, i advertised on here if i could borrow one. Jenic off here, PM'd and he met up with me the next day. Read the data and it came back with fault O2 sensor. Got to say Thanks to Jenic again for doing that. Top Bloke.

So thought i would buy need lambda sensor. Just before i did, i check under the car, and noticed it didnt have a CAT.

Stupid me, should of checked myself, but was also pissed of that the garage where it went for MOT didnt say anything.

So ordered a 2nd Hand CAT of here with sensors.

So at the beginning of Jan, other things came up so had to put it on hold.

So just gave it a general clean inside, and decided to clean engine bay.

Then towards back end of Jan, had funds so started buying again.

So first of all was to fit the CAT, along with new rear and centre exhaust mounts from NWperformance. Job done.

Next was to get the the car looking back to standard.

Ordered new RS Grille.

Before

During

After

New side repeators

Before

After

Then the battery gave way, so i new Lucas battery was fitted.

Standard Rear Lights were brought and fitted.

The front lights were cracked slightly so decided to buy new ones instead of repairing them. Always perferred the gray inserted ones to the black ones. So got the gray ones (just look newer and cleaner to the black ones)

Then ordered some Bosch Aerotwin wiper blades of here.

Then decided against the K&N filter. Sounded abit chavy. Anyway as i had a pipercross one on my old 172 and liked it, i thought i would get another.
Got one off here with black silcone bend.
And also purchased some CAF ducting.

Then i took off the front bumper to do the front lights, and to put in the CAF ducting. Refitted bumper.

Then fitted the Pipercross along with the CAF straight to it. Wooh, sound better.

Thats about it for now. Pics

I gave it a quick detail last week. Full wash, Clayed, polished and waxed.

Future mods are:
New bonnet in Mondial Blue
Refurb alloys for now
Respray of front bumper and rear.
Matched inlets
CAT-Back system.
Bucket seats
And splitter

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
New bonnet will finish it off nice, I take it you have the standard lights on now?

Good buy mate.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
You have the same thread title as me :( :(

Lol, anyway can't complain about that, looks reet!

non sport
good mods done to it mate, think the alloys would look better in silver and like the difference the rear lights make

Golf GT TDI
good project. lights look so much better;)

just need to line that bonnet up properly but guess you can do that when you get the new one.

RS Clio 172 Cup
what you have done so far is a big improvment!

Cheers mate. Think once the bonnet is on, and respray bumpers then should look 100% better.

Just want to get it running and handling 100% right first. Might buy them cheap coilovers as ride is quiet hard on the springs now.

RS Clio 172 Cup
Had my group N top engine mount fitted this morning. Gotta say how much stronger this is over a standard one. Feels alot better. Just abit of vibrations inside the car but i can live with that. Its previously had a lower group N lower engine mount done and also a Powerflex wishbone.

Gonna order a Pug 307 small splitter tomorrow, then will fit that once i have it.

RS Clio 172 Cup
Well, unfortnatley, i had a little accident on sunday. Pulled out of a junction, put foot down, and all of suddern a football comes into the road, and instant reaction was to swerve out of way. Well i went to left, didn’t I, stupid me and hit the kerb at approx 15mph. N/S front and back wheels hit kerb, bending a few things. If I went to right, would have been fine.

Well got it towed to garage i go to and upon inspection i have done the follow.

Bent the rear stub axle
Bent the front sub frame
Damage Ball joint
Possibly damaged the wish bone
Kerbed both wheels badly

Well, as i have time off from work, im down at the garage helping strip the car and give the owner a hand at other cars. Keep labour costs down

So far i have order a 2nd hand Stub axle, £35 (comin tomorrow) and collecting a sub frame tomorrow aswell. Sub frame cost £120. Will be ording other parts soon and also booking in for Tracking to be done.

In mean time i have sanded down both kerbed alloys, primered them, sprayed matt black and this evening gave them a coating of laquer.

There not 100% perfect but will do in mean time til i get some 172 cup alloys. Will be taking off others tomorrow and doing the same to them.

Back luck, i know :(

RS Clio 172 Cup
Right, Car is back on the road.

New sub frame fitted, rear stub axle, along with new ball joints, wishbones, all 4 alloys resprayed and full tracking done.

Car feels how it should now.

Seems as it was nice yesterday, gave the car a clean, polish and wax.

2nd sub frame. Sanded it down and gave a spray using black hammeriate smooth

And pictures of car after clean.

182 Trophy
Looks like you've done a good job there mate. Where abouts in Leeds are you, think I spotted you in Yeadon last week or week before that (just remember it being a cup with black bonnet)

RS Clio 172 Cup
Looks like you've done a good job there mate. Where abouts in Leeds are you, think I spotted you in Yeadon last week or week before that (just remember it being a cup with black bonnet)

That would of been me. GF lives in Yeadon, and i'm from Holtpark. Mostly stay at GF's house. Where abouts in Yeadon did you see me?

182 Trophy
U passed me on the road coming down past morrisons. I remember thinking that your black bonnet looked good against the cup blue colour (didn't think I would of)

RS Clio 172 Cup
U passed me on the road coming down past morrisons. I remember thinking that your black bonnet looked good against the cup blue colour (didn't think I would of)

Yer, does look good, but think i'm going to change it back to Mondial Blue, along with Cup wheels. Well if i see a Trophy around Yeadon will give you a beep. ;)

RS Clio 172 Cup
Seems as i was missing the front bumper small black stickers, i had the idea of using some black electrical tape as a replacement.

What do you people think? Keep or buy some proper ones?

I will be getting the front bumper resprayed at some point soon so might keep it on til then and buy the proper ones after but it only cost 75p for the tape and took around 5mins to do using a stanley knife to cut out the shape.