ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project Winstonising a Renault 5 GT Turbo

Well its about time I did a project thread, so here goes.....

After owning a stupid amount of Clio 1.8 16Vs, Hybrids and Williams thought it was time for a change.... I was due to purchase a tungy grey F7P 1.8 16V powered R5 but the sale fell through so the hunt continued. I spotted this White 5GTT on ebay, it had a good engine spec and looked clean in the pics, so I rang the guy up and agreed a price of £1200 and got a lift down to London the next day and drove it home to manchester.It was tiny bit ruff around the edges (what car i have isn't tho lol), but it had only done 75k and just had a full engine rebuild, a few niggles to fix but I was more than happy with it.

The spec

New crank shaft
New pistons and liners
New big and small ends
New timing chain and timing chain tensioner
Ported head
New valves, New valve stems and seals
New group A head gasket
New group A clutch
New uprated fuel pump and fuel filter
Ngk spark plugs
K-tec distributor cap and rotor arm
New TDC sensor
K-tec ignition leads
Baileys dump valve
Some blue Samco hoses
S/S Scorpion exhaust
S/S Braided oil hoses

So first port of call was Partly stripping the interior & some pics... so quick phone call to jordan and......

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

Last edited:
After a few weeks I took the 5 off the road for a week... (was waiting on parts and spent 4 hours removing the wishbone, don't ask lol) I fitted a new wishbone, ARB bushes, Koni adjustables

New bits

PICT3580.jpg

Few random Winston touches

PICT3564.jpg

PICT3569.jpg

Then I tryed on my new rims... the stance and fit was bang on

PICT3582.jpg

PICT3570.jpg

PICT3577.jpg

PICT3572.jpg

PICT3562.jpg

PICT3552.jpg

PICT3555.jpg

In the end I had the 185/55/13 tyres of the standard speedlines fitted to. It was hard work get them on, My mate vinny at ATS had his doubts that we could'nt do it, in the end it took three of us and s**t load of seat covers lol

Seeing as my camera is shite, guess what i did.... aye ... Jord "wanna take some pics" lol

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

Last edited:
My mate Jo asked me if i would be interested in this intercooler... Just wat I needed to fill my bumper :)

Renault015-1.jpg

Some pics with it in place to see how it filled the gap

PICT3677.jpg

PICT3705.jpg

The intercooler didn't look right in silver, so i sprayed it black and Im sucker for stencils

PICT3709.jpg

PICT3710.jpg

At first the all the pipes scared me.. but i got stuck in an plummed in the intercooler, not pretty but does the job

PICT3758.jpg

PICT3762.jpg

Bumper back on Jord pics

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

Then it happend it let me down LOL.... I hit some traffic on the M6 just after junction 20a.... revs started to drop while sat in traffic... rev it abit... stalled... started... stalled.. start start start start.... get out and push.... then the starter did naff all... Ring AA- they failed

Image002.jpg

Image005.jpg

I treated it to some orange indicators for abit of retro-ness and as a get better soon present lol

PICT3934.jpg

I fitted a new starter and put new contectors on the fuel pump (thats the short verson lol)

So it was fixed and back on the road... best ring Jord for some pics lol

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

Having the FMIC fitted meant i was able to raise the boost to 1bar with no problems, so i finally got round to getting my mate Rob to fit a bleed valve (thanks man) and tidied up my pipe work, I will be getting it set up on his wide band one weekend to get it fueling spot on...

Feedback - 1bar ist gud jaa!!!

Do not touch this dial... you have been warned lol

PICT4020.jpg

While setting the bleed valve up i did this pulling up a kurb... Gutted TBH

Will have to be yeeehaa'd for now lol

PICT4018.jpg

That brings us up to the present the day...

Im waiting quite a few goodies turning up.. will keep you up dated :)

Thanks to all the folks that have helped out so far....

& thanks for taking the time to read

Mustang, S13, AX GT
lol Jord should get some commission for all these pics! I still have a T25 lying around ;)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Hummm...Better than some of your other sha ggers!! lol

Jord's pics get better everytime i see them! I need to get out playin with mine!

Cheers for the comments folks

Dan you was ment to text me to remind me to text you to remind you to look and you didn't even need reminding.... thanks for looking :)

Right todays up date

JR cone filter rated up to 300bhp so more than up for the job :)

PICT4022.jpg

Sorry for the s**t blue pic lol... new camera soon :)

'91 Clio RT =D
i saw this car on ebay when I was searching for clio parts.
Didnt know you where the guy that bought it tho.

Looks good mate :)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
PMSL @ my worst nightmare! Too fcuking right!!!! ;)

When are you fitting it? I'll pop over!

Just noticed then... one tiny box from the turbo back?!? MINT!

Not 100% sure yet... but i need to use Jordans trolley jack as im not using a shitty reno pencil jack lol.. we will keep you posted ;)

Can't Wait to hear it TBH

pmsl ive lost my trolley jack winston! you can use my reno jack aswell, oh wait the welds snapped on it :)

Not even lasted a week LMAO!!!.....The T2 was on its last legs anyway... boost hike just polished it off lol

Im waiting back on a PM... But fingers crossed I will have a T2 & T25