ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Proper ITB filter

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
Right then Im thinking it's time to sort out my old ITB filter setup up issue. At the mo im running ktec DTH kit (without the slam panel) with the latest KTEC filter but wanna sort a proper job.
I've been searching about and I'm looking to get a polo rad to start with to free up some room around the engine bay, and then maybe source a ITG kit from merlin as its close-ish to me and Im always up the combe!!!

A couple of questions:
What size slimline fan do people run on these rads?
Also is there any benefit from running a carbon fibre tray as apposed just to a normal backplate set-up such as

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p19196/ITG-CARBON-FIBRE-TRUMPET-TRAY/product_info.html

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
£99 for just the tray!!!!! Pipercross aluminium backplate is ~£26, and a deep filter to go with it is £69.99

Like so:

426015_10151350795200150_207364760_n.jpg

Attachments

• 426015_10151350795200150_207364760_n.jpg
    426015_10151350795200150_207364760_n.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 215

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
Sounds and looks more like it Dan!! hows the old bonnet clearance? I take it that the rad change is a good move.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I liked the rad change, but i went all out to simplify the bay to make it easy to do anything and not be a big heat trap.
If you're not using long trumpets then you won't need the deep filter. You'll have 60mm ones as standard with the DTH kit, which can have a shallower filter so bonnet clearance is easy. My filter JUST touched in one spot, which I could have cut out from the bonnet but all it did was leave a small compressed line in the foam. Didn't bother me or hinder performance at all.

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
Cheers for that just what I was looking for! The back plate comes as a blank i suppose any idea on part number that I will need for filter is it a C60?D

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Yes all backplates come as a blank unless very common engines like a zetec. I can sort you whatever you need for filter and backplate, rad, fan......

Lionel Richie
you'll struggle to get anything decent under there IMO, the angle of the DTH kit is too steep and is nearly touching the bonnet as is!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
you'll struggle to get anything decent under there IMO, the angle of the DTH kit is too steep and is nearly touching the bonnet as is!

pfft, nonsense. Got one sat on the dyno at this second with a pipercross packplate and deep filter on

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Agreed, especially if using a decent length of trumpet.

Its a fundamental flaw with the DTH kit sadly when used in a clio bay. You can get much more length without issue when using a better designed setup.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
IcemanUK had the ktec dth kit with 120mm trumpets with a carbon back box/plate and decent filter. He had to remove some of the inner bonnet skin though.

Its a pain having to cut the bonnet around although on a racecar you'd do an element of that to save weight anyway so that isnt such an issue I guess, but not exactly ideal for airflow through the filter having it jammed up against the bonnet either, makes the clean air just want to skip underneath it as its a path of less resistance, you can start playing around with ducting though of course, but better to just run a less compromised layout in the first place IMHO.

Last edited:
I've cut the inner skin out of my bonnet. It was an arse to do and it's a bit dented now but I've got room for 120mm trumpets and no rubbing at all, so I'm happy :D

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
If somebody would like to buy my DTH kit they are welcome to do so and try some experiments for themselves. Just sayin'... :D

The first filter of death I had meant I was literally having to clean the kit every 2-3 weeks. The following pics show the extent of the problem:

20110328_dirty01.jpg

20110328_dirty02.jpg

Sometimes if I only cleaned them monthly they'd end up this bad...

20110827_01.jpg

Eventually I got hold of the revised and improved filter design and backplate. Sadly, this also let me down big time as it also disintegrated (despite continuing with the regular and recommended maintenance) :(

shaggedfilter01.jpg

shaggedfilter02.jpg

Thankfully these filters are now a thing of the past with the new setup, but I can't recommend them at all after my experience with those particular items.

Hmmmmm The KTEC Sausage filter looks familiar hopefully I shall be getting a new set up soon, your right they do pick up a lot of dirt. This is the second ktec filter I have had....I have been informed the Pipercross filter is a better item. To be fair I have never beena fan of foam filters, always have had BMC cotton filters on my cars.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Hmmmmm The KTEC Sausage filter looks familiar hopefully I shall be getting a new set up soon, your right they do pick up a lot of dirt. This is the second ktec filter I have had....I have been informed the Pipercross filter is a better item. To be fair I have never beena fan of foam filters, always have had BMC cotton filters on my cars.

It certainly explains why your car was breathing so heavily when you were over at the ring if yours was also running this sort of setup, sadly you already had the filter off by the time I got there to help fix the knackered injector for you so I didnt actually see the filter itself properly or i would have commented then.