ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ps3’s‘Not As Good As The Hype?’

RB Clio 182
Hi, i had new michelin ps3’s fitted earlier today(first time ive had them), but they feel similar or if not worse than the new budgets that were previously on the car that the last owner had on.

Its been cold and moist today but its not really wet or icy, they just dont feel as good as i thought they would do, seriously im not lying here, but the budets felt grippier.

Do they need wearing in more, whats the crack?

Balancing and tracking is A1, i thought they were meant to be good in s**t conditions? Maybe they just need a few miles on them to bed them in?

Last edited:

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
Hi, i had new michelin ps3’s fitted earlier today(first time ive had them), but they feel similar or if not wosre than the new budgets that were previously on the car that the last owner had on.

Its been cold and moist today but its not really wet or icy, they just dont feel as good as i thought they would do, seriously im not lying here, but the budets felt grippier.

Do they need wearing in more, whats the crack?

Balancing and tracking is A1,i thought they were meany to be good in s**t conditions?

I agree they are over rated, never gave me confidence when i had clios....

Pilot sport 4 is in a different league, best michelin tyre I've tried so far, just a shame you cant get them in 16'

Id go ado8r iirc if i got another clio

RB Clio 182
I agree they are over rated, never gave me confidence when i had clios....

Pilot sport 4 is in a different league, best michelin tyre I've tried so far, just a shame you cant get them in 16'

Id go ado8r iirc if i got another clio
They feel shocking tbh, i hope its just because they are new.

Maybe i just push on too much, im not sure.

RB Clio 182
Maybe abit, but i still felt they were pants.. I really wasnt sure about going for the ps4 but so glad i did, sorry not much help
Cheers mate, i just feel like i could have gone for something for half the price that i felt confident with, but i went for the price and paid the price lol

Hopefully they will improve.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I never drive fast enough on the road to notice the difference with tyres. I guess I’m just not ‘race’ enough for the road.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It'll be the mould release, couple that with cold, salty roads and they will feel crap at first. Put them through a good heat cycle and let them cool and they'll be fine.
This and also pressures. They're a good tyre.

RB Clio 182
Cheers everyone, ill check the pressures, i told him to do fronts 33 rears 31 but you never know with tyre fitters as stated.

I’ll give them more time and update, the weather is s**t i know, but i had more grip with the budgets than i did with the ps3’s, same day, same road and same conditions.

Either the budgets were good budgets or the ps3s need bedding in :)

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
I have them all round , massive improvement over my previous Hankooks. Although they aren't great in colder conditions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RB Clio 182
Yea its probably me rushing and expecting more tbh.

Ill see how they are in a few hundred miles and make sure the pressures are not 50psi.

RB Clio 182
I think I saw you yesterday Tom. Spotted a blue clio that looked like it could drive on water. I'd check the pressures if I were you. [emoji23]
Haha, yea ill call out later and check them.

Were going food shopping soon, so there might be another photo on in the ‘you park like a c**t’ thread haha.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
There not amazing in the cold in fairness mines been sliding around a fair amount recently.
Once it warms up a few degree you will find them much better.

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Give them chance mate.

Had them on the Trophy and RB - great tyres.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Edit: Just lol at saying a premium road tyre is worse than a budget.

What makes it premium though? The brand? The price?

Surely the same applies as what some people say 'i'd never spend more than £20 on a tshirt, youre just paying for the badge' etc.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Yes, this is why i asked the question.

Superia ecoblue UHP’s ftw!

Either you've got fakes or you're not doing a fair test.

PilotSports (every version) are brilliant road tyres. They are sold as summer tyres, have very good dry grip and very good wet grip considering. However when it gets cold the limits are dramatically reduced. It's getting cold now so I'd suggest you're just thinking back to warmer days with your LingLongs.

BMW M4; S1000 RR

Surely the same applies as what some people say 'i'd never spend more than £20 on a tshirt, youre just paying for the badge' etc.

That's the worst comparison in the world.

Go look at any scientific tyre test you like, PilotSports are always top performers.

RB Clio 182
Either you've got fakes or you're not doing a fair test.

PilotSports (every version) are brilliant road tyres. They are sold as summer tyres, have very good dry grip and very good wet grip considering. However when it gets cold the limits are dramatically reduced. It's getting cold now so I'd suggest you're just thinking back to warmer days with your LingLongs.
Haha, i wasnt really testing them on a purpose, i headed to the tyre place, a few nice roads probably about ten miles or so, had them fitted, and a drive around for half hr and then went back home the same way as i came, and i had more grip on the way there.

Ill check pressures but im guessing that its because it was really cold and i was probably pressing on a bit more with the ps3’s to see what they were like, they will need wearing in as said, that or the tyre fitter left the stickers on them ha.

They were from Camskill btw.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)

To a degree I guess you have a point. But jumping from Micky mouse tyres should be noticeable.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Haha, i wasnt really testing them on a purpose, i headed to the tyre place, a few nice roads probably about ten miles or so, had them fitted, and a drive around for half hr and then went back home the same way as i came, and i had more grip on the way there.

Ill check pressures but im guessing that its because it was really cold and i was probably pressing on a bit more with the ps3’s to see what they were like, they will need wearing in as said, that or the tyre fitter left the stickers on them ha.

They were from Camskill btw.

New tyres on a trackday are fun if you haven’t bedded them in :/

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Without bothering to make a new thread.. what causes this? Tracking? Front left tyre edge seems to wear much quicker, which is annoying as both have plenty of tread but are about to be replaced.

Front left
IMG_1829.JPG

Front right
IMG_1830.JPG

PH2 172
Without bothering to make a new thread.. what causes this? Tracking? Front left tyre edge seems to wear much quicker, which is annoying as both have plenty of tread but are about to be replaced./QUOTE]

Is the wear on the inside or outside of the tyres?

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
If road use only I`d go with tracking, plus the left shows signs of rolling onto the sidewall, so perhaps run with low tyre pressure at some time?

I've been at Protyre for 90mins so far whilst they fit the ps3's, so going to get them to check the tracking, cheers!