ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PS3 Availability

How difficult are these actually going to be to get hold of?

Just had an email from Play saying they gaurantee launch day delivery. I dont remember them doing this with the 360 and they seemed to be much harder to get hold of. Especially as its only 10 days from launch.

Are Sony dispatching far more units or is there just not the demand?

By the sounds of it, it wont be that difficult to get hold of one, good luck to all the people buying to sell on eBay! ;)

Tappd'd RS
Amazon mentioned they would offer pre-order on their website until their launch day allocation was sold out.

They still have availability - check out their site.

A4 Avant
I heard something saying that loads of pre orders have been cancelled due to imported consoles having different hardware/software that allows playing of PS2 games.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
you can buy most of the parts to make a ps3 so so easily. its strange you just cant buy the whole thing together.

you can buy the blu-ray laser unit and mother board off ebay

Availability in the States and Japan has been very healthy (Japan has already had an official price-cut after retailers started doing it themselves to shift stock), so based on that and the fact that Sony have had more than enough time to put a decent launch together should mean they will be relatively easy to find within a matter of weeks. I noticed several on the shelves in Manhattan (limited to one per person though) a few weeks ago, which reminds me of this amusing comic strip.

Ironically it will probably be the Wii that will be hardest to get hold of at the start of April, the next major shipment isn't due for a couple of weeks and pre-order lists have built up quite extensively (again!)

Worth remembering that the UK PS3 is going to be the stripped down version from day one, so don't expect to be playing all your old PS2 titles on it, Sony won't release a compatibility list until launch day.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Availability in the States and Japan has been very healthy (Japan has already had an official price-cut after retailers started doing it themselves to shift stock), so based on that and the fact that Sony have had more than enough time to put a decent launch together should mean they will be relatively easy to find within a matter of weeks. I noticed several on the shelves in Manhattan (limited to one per person though) a few weeks ago, which reminds me of this amusing comic strip.

Ironically it will probably be the Wii that will be hardest to get hold of at the start of April, the next major shipment isn't due for a couple of weeks and pre-order lists have built up quite extensively (again!)

Worth remembering that the UK PS3 is going to be the stripped down version from day one, so don't expect to be playing all your old PS2 titles on it, Sony won't release a compatibility list until launch day.
lol a stripped down one, they are just removing the ps2 chip (emotion i think?) and using software emulation to run the games, it isn't going to be as bad as everyone is making out, and personally I will never subject it to an inferior ps2 game anyway, just wouldn't be right.

As it happens the rest of the world is going to also get the same as the european one without the ps2 chip soon as it probably isn't needed ( a lot of people have questioned why they included it in the first place!) and its a cost cutting exercise to reduce the loss on each unit.

I think you'll be surprised at how many games will be compatible but personally i won't look at the list.

Monaro VXR
Thats not the point though. What is annoying is were getting less hardware but at double the cost. They are pretty much using Europe to recover there losses.

It would be fine for them to do that if we only had to pay what they do in Japan and America. But as per we here in the UK get ripped off bigtime.

Citroen DS3 DSport
There are 220,000 units available in the UK on launch day which is significantly more than other console launches so I do not think people will struggle to buy one, especially as Sony are missing out on the usual Christmas market.

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
i aint pre-ordered, i'm just going to go down town, look in whsmiths, woolies, dixons, and game, see whats got the best offer / standalone console and buy it

dk

911 GTS Cab
Thats not the point though. What is annoying is were getting less hardware but at double the cost. They are pretty much using Europe to recover there losses.

It would be fine for them to do that if we only had to pay what they do in Japan and America. But as per we here in the UK get ripped off bigtime.
absolute rubbish,, that really is.

UK model £425 -VAT = around £350
US model $599 using todays toruist exchange rate of 1.84 = £325

If you add tax onto the US model of around say 7% as all states are different its £350.

So as you can see, its the VAT we have to pay because of the governement that pushes the price up, not the price SOny are charging as they are only really charging an extra £30 odd for the box, its the government that takes the rest.

If the dollar was like it was a year ago and more like 1.5 then the story would be the other way round, it would be more expensive so its all relative really, you shouldn't read too much into reports that its half the cost over there as it simply isn't, its pretty much the same price before the tax is added!