ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pulling to the Left Under Braking

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Hi all,

Had my 182 for a few weeks now and this problem is really, really getting on my nerves now!

Symptoms;
  • When braking progressively, the car pulls to the left, not really sharply but not coasting either.
  • At speed, the effect is worse i.e. a much harder and aggressive pull, but happens at all speeds.
  • When braking hard, no pulling.
  • Car drives in a straight line, sometimes a bit snatch when giving it some over a badly surfaced road but I reckon this is normal.
  • I checked the amount of turns lock to lock on the wheel, turning left was half a turn more then turning right. Could this have anything to do with it?

Things I can eliminate;
  • Tracking/Geo - Done last week
  • Springs - Changed to Sportlines
  • Passenger driveshaft - New
  • Balljoints - New
  • Track Rod Ends - New
  • Tyre Pressures - Fine
  • Brake Lines/Fluid - Fitted Braided lines and bled the system
  • Front calipers/pads - Fitted rebuilt calipers and new pads
  • Steering Rack Retaining bushes - Recently done by previous owner
  • Visual inspection of bushes and arb etc all look ok
  • Not been in an accident as far as I am aware
  • Full CLIP diagnostic showed no fault codes etc.
  • 'Road camber' - This happens everywhere from the motorway to single track roads.

As you can see this is driving me spare. The only thing I can think it is is the rear brakes or the steering rack itself?

Feel free to ask/dig deeper as I really want to get this sorted as its getting quite alarming now given the amount of things I have changed to try and resolve this!

Cheers.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Not that I know of. No signs of overspray/welding etc etc.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Yeah that's the next port of call. Fred had a drive of it and was just as baffled.

Any reason it would happen under braking though and not normal driving?

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Because under braking the weight of the car bares down on the front, if one damper is fine and one a fubared it will dive in the direction of the failing damper.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Could I swap the rear dampers over and see if it changes sides? They are the same part right?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Start simple by servicing the brakes... Strip and clean the callipers, make sure the guides are nice and free and check the dust seals are intact.

Mick

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Start simple by servicing the brakes... Strip and clean the callipers, make sure the guides are nice and free and check the dust seals are intact.

Mick

Done it Mick, (Its Adam), rebuilt used calipers with new seals, you fitted braided lines etc, only things left are rear brakes and all the shocks.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Oh, hai [waves]

Would be interesting to see what the rollers record under a brake test to see if there's an imbalance vs a tracking fault.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Yeah thats probably my next port of call, know anywhere?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
As above matey, any MOT test station will be able to help you out with this thought they *may* ask you to make a small donation to the testers pocket for performing such an act. It will rule out/confirm a fault with the brakes themselves though so money well spent IMO

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Yeah, Il have a look tommorow.

By the way, those bleed nipples were a bit to big!

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
No worries. Really want to get this sorted, any more ideas?

Megane r26
p1010005in.jpg

this little bit here, should always be inspected on brake change an greased up

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Thanks. Yeah I rebuilt the fronts and greased them up, haven't done the rears yet might have a go tomorrow weather permitting!

Megane r26
Fair play dude, doubt the rears would really give you too much greif as the braking is front biased as you no doubt know, but suppose its worth it just for piece of mind. Good luck fella

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
As it only appears to pull left under gentle braking I'd be sure to make sure the MOT tester applies a common sense approach when performing the brake test rather than stamping on the pedal and saying "yeah, they look reet yoof"