ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Purchased 172 Cup - Which tyres?

172 Cup
Hey, I've just bought the 172 Cup I've longed for for what seems forever. Taking delivery of it next week. It's got climate control too :)

Anyway the front tyres are pretty much shot, the garage are gonna replace them with some more, god knows what, but they'll be better than the slicks that are on now.

Question is I want high performance tyres with all the bloody grip I can get which isn't surprising for a Cup owner. :) I know a lot of people use Exaltos which came standard with the 182s - which others would you recommend? Or are the Exaltos really that good?

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
Michellin Pilot Exalto 2 as you said, or goodyear gsd3f1's have amazing grip but dont last as long, i think there are some good toyos or something like that as well

172 Cup
I used to run Dunlop SP Sport 9000s on a 195/40/16 on my Ka, they were nice and grippy but I don't have anything to compare them with, they don't seem to be very popular on the current Poll.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Uniroyal rainsport. Once of the best tyres i have ever used. Much better and i mean much better than the pe2s and gds3 in the wet and just as good in the dry. They do wear quicker though. £50 per courner from www.mytyres.co.uk

pecan said:
I used to run Dunlop SP Sport 9000s on a 195/40/16 on my Ka, they were nice and grippy but I don't have anything to compare them with, they don't seem to be very popular on the current Poll.

I have these on my Corsa and mistakenly replaced them with Toyo Proxes - avoid the Toyo's

Remapped derv Golf
We ain't got the roads or climate for the soft jap rubber!

172 Cup's do come with CC Klang! Option in 2003 at £800! Jon_r had it on his.

The 182 Cup has manual AC as standard.

Weeman sucks ****
Been using contis for the past 3 years on my cup and can't really fault them considering the price. Saying that when approaching the end of their loves they feel very hard and lose grip. I did try the F1's but for me they had too much side movement at the rear because of the vertical tread pattern which didn't help matters under heavy braking. In their favour though, they grip like s**t to a blanket.

Next stop PE2's all round. OUCH said the wallet!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Just sold my full fat mk2 172 which i had used toyos on for the past 3 years as i always thought and heard they were good .
Got my full fat 182 with cups packs on friday , F*CK ME , what a difference the exaltos make . I can't believe how much more grip i have with the exaltos , exaltos all the way for me from now on :)

MrBillyUK !

Revels Mum & Sister
Different car

But I have run Uniroyal Rainsport and Goodyear GSD3's on the rear of my MR2 Turbo running around 300bhp, rainsports were marginally better in the wet, but the goodyears won hands down in the dry

Toyos are awesome in the dry, but not so in the wet and wear down like a b*****d

172 Cup
The Exaltos sound bloody impressive. Might start with just 2 new ones on the front then, as I have a set of 2 nearly new Conti's in the garage, it would be a shame to waste them.