ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pure Motorsport strutbrace help

172 cup
Bit of a weird question but does anyone have the pm top mount+ brace kit and managed to fit their engine cover.

I don't mind modding it to fit, but from what I can see its right over the back mounting bolts.

I know I'll get people say its for handling not looks etc, but spent a lot of time painting my cover and it really annoys me as its a pointless design error.

​Any help would be great.

Evo
Unfortunately I looked into this and gave up, just painted the inlets instead.

to get it to fit you'd have to completely remove the rear fixing points and i bet it'd rattle like a b**ch with just the two front bolts :(

cover fits under brace but rubs as the engine moves and no room for bolts, you could always remove material from the underside of the brace?

172 cup
Yeah the only way I could get it to possibly fit would be cutting the cover over the holes. Might look for a cheap broken engine cover to experiment. Just annoying as they only needed to raise it 1cm at most to clear it. In all I am happy with the handling upgrade, however the delivery, fitting guide, design and finish are pretty poor for something that price.

Ben if I figure out a way I'll let you know.

Cup In bits
Yeah the only way I could get it to possibly fit would be cutting the cover over the holes. Might look for a cheap broken engine cover to experiment. Just annoying as they only needed to raise it 1cm at most to clear it. In all I am happy with the handling upgrade, however the delivery, fitting guide, design and finish are pretty poor for something that price.

Ben if I figure out a way I'll let you know.

Honestly? You think the brace and top mounts are poor quality, Its one of the best looking purposeful strut braces I have seen sold. Fitting guide is pretty good on their site too lol.

172 cup
Honestly? You think the brace and top mounts are poor quality, Its one of the best looking purposeful strut braces I have seen sold. Fitting guide is pretty good on their site too lol.

Sorry was a bit vague. They do look well built, but I as a whole thought the finish of the mounts was average. The brace looks good just annoying it fouls a standard part on most these cars. As for the fitting guide, hmm it's not really great. Kind of skims over the process, plus the method given to drill the holes by placing the brace down central didn't work too well.

Apart from the actual handling upgrade, which is great cannot doubt that, just view feel overall they are average.

Cup In bits
Tbh I never used the guide its pretty much self explanatory but their PDF's I have read we're good.

None of there stuff is aimed at road cars FYI, they are more interested in Motorsport and engine covers are just dead weight.

Fit the engine cover, place the cross brace on and mark with something and then profile it for a good fit.

LY FF182
Or fit washers under the top mount assembly to raise the brace by how much you need?? I haven't looked closely at one of these braces but it's something people have done on Corsas with success

172 cup
Well I used the guide to drill the holes and it was slightly out. Then had to do it the another way to make them right. Yeah I do get they are Motorsport orientated but still think it's a flaw. Don't really see it as being done to save weight, could save more weight by driving with no shoes. Anyway will try and adapt the cover and see

172 cup
Or fit washers under the top mount assembly to raise the brace by how much you need?? I haven't looked closely at one of these braces but it's something people have done on Corsas with success

Was thinking of doing this but not sure if it would work/ be safe/ cause excess movement.

Might pm dan see if he could make to rings to fit undernear.

pure-motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio 172
Peanuthead, thanks for your feedback, it would be good to know some more about your views on the fitting guide as we could alter it if you had problems. Was the problem mainly getting the hole centres marked in the right place?
As for the poor delivery, we use Fedex who pick up from us at lunch time, you paid for your kit at 11.50 in the morning which was too close to the pick up to get out same day so it was sent the next day and you received the day after.
We are a motorsport based company, all of our products are designed with this in mind and we try to compromise at little as possible on performance. The engine cover is not something we would ever class as being necessary for motorsport. The more we bend the brace, the more bending force is put through the brace in use and the weaker it becomes - we have made it a straight as possible without hitting the engine and if the cover has to come off then so be it. i wouldn't recommend raising the brace up at all to clear the cover, but if you really want to do it you can use some of these: http://www.pure-motorsport.co.uk/details.php?itemid=165 to put under the brace and use some longer bolts.

As for price, if you can get some other top mounts and strut brace that work for that money then please let us know!

172 cup
Thanks for your reply, I did place the order through the check a while before that but if it didn't process at your end till 11:50 then I do appologise. As for the fitting guide, I did have problems with the centring part. I followed the guide to use the brace to mark the holes. I centred the middle hole as described but when the mount where in place they came through making it go of centre. Wasn't the end of the world but required a bit of enlarging the holes waiting for paint to dry again etc.

Would those supports compromise the performance/safety if put under the brace?

Lionel Richie
172 cup doesn't (and shouldn't) have an engine cover anyway! Unless you drive round with your bonnet open who cares!

Yes... I think the problem here is that the PMS kit is a fantastically designed bit of kit that seriously improves handling, whereas the engine cover that doesn't come with Cup's anyway is just a cosmetic finish for people who want to show their engine bay off at shows

It's very rare you find anyone who has interest in both lol.
You mention the finish - it's matt black, it's held up to seriously high temperatures in my engine bay (to the point where I can't touch the brace) and it hasn't chipped or flaked in over a year. I call that a brilliant finish, but you probably wanted chrome...

pure-motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio 172
Thanks for your reply, I did place the order through the check a while before that but if it didn't process at your end till 11:50 then I do appologise. As for the fitting guide, I did have problems with the centring part. I followed the guide to use the brace to mark the holes. I centred the middle hole as described but when the mount where in place they came through making it go of centre. Wasn't the end of the world but required a bit of enlarging the holes waiting for paint to dry again etc.

Would those supports compromise the performance/safety if put under the brace?

I don't think it would compromise the safety etc although bonnet clearance may become an issue and you would have to stack about 5 of them on top of one another to clear the engine cover anyway and that's a lot of stainless steel!