ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pure Motorsport top mount bearing.

Clio 172 ph2
I noticed that one of the bearings has seized so I have ordered some new ones. How do you change them are they pressed in or just push in?

There's a circlip* holding them in? Remove that and they come out I think?

Mine were also very stiff when I removed them a few weeks ago, was a bit disappointed since they have only been fitted a year/4k miles.

I just removed them, sprawled with wd40, gave them a wee rub over and regressed, done this a couple times and they are spot on again

Cup In bits
They are just held in with a clip, they should fall out basically. Did you see they sell preloaded bearings now which are better quality?

Clio 172 ph2
Thanks these have only been on about a year 8k miles so not very impressed. It's the preloaded bearings I have gone for so I will see what they are like.

Clio 172
I pour a little drop of engine oil on to the bearings of mine. Keeps the dirt out and helps keep them free.

Now Sold :-(
I had a set show signs of wear after only 3k miles. To be fair to Pure they replaced them without issue.
They do however need to be pressed in/out once the circlip is removed.

pure-motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio 172
Hi Guys,
Just thought I would give some advice:
To replace the bearings, remove the circlip and press the bearing out but make sure the tool you use is a tight fit with the outside of the bearing as you may leave the outer sleeve in place otherwise (the bearings have an inner and outer part)
Place some Loctite bearing fit on the outside of the new bearing (we use this to keep water out and stop the bearing seizing into the top mount, and it also lubricates the outside to make pressing easier and stop it galling)
Press the new bearing in with a tool or socket that fits on the outside of the bearing (don't press on the ball!!) until it stops then fit the new circlip. Job done.

The bearings we use as standard will corrode over time, like any unprotected ball joint, as they aren't stainless. all stainless bearings are very expensive at about £40-50 each which is why we don't use them as standard. Our pre-loaded bearings do have a stainless sleeve and chrome plated ball which will last longer in terms of corrosion resistance. The bearings are PTFE lined so shouldn't be lubricated as the lubricant can deteriorate the PTFE liner (apparently!)

On our website it shows the bearings as serviceable items meaning they are not a fit and forget part.

As with all of our parts they are designed for motorsport use.

Audi A5
So you don't recommend any form of lubricant at all?

What about a layer or grease over the top to help prevent debris getting into the ball joint?

Now Sold :-(
Any plans to offer full stainless bearings as an upgrade in the future?
May be worth the initial outlay if the standard ones are having to be replaced frequently for those of us that are using them on our daily drivers.

pure-motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio 172
The bearing manufacturer doesn't recommend any lubricant at all as it supposedly degrades the PTFE liner. I would have thought any petroleum based lubricant would degrade it but maybe some type of grease made for plastics might be OK.
We don't have any plans for a full stainless bearing as we sell so few replacement bearings, but we can get pretty much whatever you want if you do want to upgrade. I think NMB do an all stainless bearing but they certainly won't be cheap!

So you don't recommend any form of lubricant at all?

What about a layer or grease over the top to help prevent debris getting into the ball joint?

As said it will just kill them quicker, they won't be designed for any form of lubrication, just noticed these have been allowed in the regs at last for our class in sprints:p these will be on my shopping very soon once confirmed along with strut brace.

Regards Russ.....